Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 12:39 PM

12,935 posts, read 18,787,237 times

Advertisements

He's not a hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 06:00 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,766,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
It is difficult to wrap my mind around the fact that Ravenel was even able to capture the reported 15,000 signatures to participate in the election. I truly hope that the election results send a clearly strong message that South Carolinians are not a pack of superficial teenagers who swoon over reality television trash....even if they do have a family pedigree. Money can't buy class nor political office....I hope!
T Rav's pedigree is from a racist, women hating Father. Cuzzin Arthur (T Rav's) father allegedly mended his ways later but that was for political expediency reasons only.

Many, like myself refuse to call it the Ravenel Bridge. We call it the East Cooper Bridge.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:21 PM

2,315 posts, read 2,964,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
From what I've read and what he's summarized, he takes a more libertarian position, which aligns with myself.
Libertarian how? On social issues? If so he may be better but the overall decider should be his position on the economy.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:30 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,397,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Libertarian how? On social issues? If so he may be better but the overall decider should be his position on the economy.
He's a limited gov't guy. Says we shouldn't have to choose between a " welfare state and a warfare state." Supported Ron Paul in both recent elections. Not my kind of politics personally, but his views resonate with a fair number of libertarian conservatives.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,321,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
He's a limited gov't guy. Says we shouldn't have to choose between a " welfare state and a warfare state." Supported Ron Paul in both recent elections. Not my kind of politics personally, but his views resonate with a fair number of libertarian conservatives.
I agree with this but not sure about the term "libertarian conservative"

Libertarians in general are socially liberal yet financially conservative.

There has been a bit of confusion lately, with this, as many libertarians are on the conservative ticket, mainly because the two-party system makes it practically impossible to get elected and people tend to vote on economic issues. Not to mention the Tea Party stealing a symbol of libertarianism when they "claimed" the Gadsden flag.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:20 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,974,480 times
Since Ravenel is a felon he can't vote, but he can run for office.

I don't like Lindsey Graham and the June primary had such a sorry turnout of voters so it seems we may be stuck with Lindsey 6 more years. He will probably win in November. Lindsey spent millions in campaign funds and my daily vote for Lindsey post cards have now stopped.

A huge contributor to Lindsey's PAC was Michael Bloomberg Democratic former NY Mayor that is on the far left. He contributed $250,000 to Lindsey. Why would a democrat donate to a Republican? Bloomberg also donated $250,000 to GOP Thad Cochran's PAC. Cochran is the guy in Mississippi that has been accused of buying black votes in their primary. That's a half million dollars to two Republican candidates. No telling how much more money will turn up in GOP coffers from the rich Democrats. Ohhhhh don't you just love politics.

Former New York mayor Bloomberg gives to pro-Lindsey Graham PAC - Post and Courier

This article has Ravenel's stand on some of the issues.

Meet Thomas Ravenel, The Reality TV Star Running For Senate - The Daily Beast

Old 07-16-2014, 07:02 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,397,354 times
Quote:

There has been a bit of confusion lately, with this, as many libertarians are on the conservative ticket, mainly because the two-party system makes it practically impossible to get elected and people tend to vote on economic issues. Not to mention the Tea Party stealing a symbol of libertarianism when they "claimed" the Gadsden flag.
Yeah, it was lazy of me to say "libertarian conservative." What I really meant was libertarian-leaning conservatives, which includes the Ron Paul subset of the GOP. I'm familiar with the Nolan Chart, which you posted, though that's probably a version produced by a libertarian/objectivist source, as the four points on the most common form of the chart are "liberal, libertarian, conservative and authoritarian."

I know an awful lot of younger republicans and generally-republican-voting independents for whom social issues are a low priority. They focus on fiscal issues, and they might just consider voting for Ravenel.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:10 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,831,773 times
Since roughly 50% will vote a straight ticket, clueless and without any concern regarding the values of the actual candidates, any independent or third-party candidate will start off so far in the hole that he/she has little chance, regardless of what they have to offer. Ravenel will get his votes from folks who would otherwise vote for Graham, but far too few to make a difference.

Quote:
A huge contributor to Lindsey's PAC was Michael Bloomberg Democratic former NY Mayor that is on the far left. He contributed $250,000 to Lindsey. Why would a democrat donate to a Republican?
For the same reason that many Democrats voted in the Republican primary for Graham. The other primary candidates were so far right, they made Graham an appealing choice. The SC Democratic candidate has no chance of winning, so democrats have learned to support the Republican candidate who is closest to the middle of the road.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:56 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,854,119 times
Quote:

libertarians are generally socially liberal and economically liberal in the classical sense. Going back to the late 18th / early 19th century in Europe classic liberals like Smith, Ricardo and Malthus believed in as little government involvement as is humanly possible with the protection of basic rights and property as government's only real purpose.

true libertarians are not economically conservative, this much I can tell you. Any of them who are are pawning themselves off as one for political gain and are more conservative than they are libertarian.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:57 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,854,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Since roughly 50% will vote a straight ticket, clueless and without any concern regarding the values of the actual candidates, any independent or third-party candidate will start off so far in the hole that he/she has little chance, regardless of what they have to offer. Ravenel will get his votes from folks who would otherwise vote for Graham, but far too few to make a difference.

For the same reason that many Democrats voted in the Republican primary for Graham. The other primary candidates were so far right, they made Graham an appealing choice. The SC Democratic candidate has no chance of winning, so democrats have learned to support the Republican candidate who is closest to the middle of the road.

that's exactly how I vote. the democratic party down here in this state is laughable at best so I've learned in my 10 years living down here to vote for the lesser of the two evils on the right. no sense in throwing my vote away on the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina