Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 05:39 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,980,985 times

Advertisements

Our South Carolina ballot in November will have Lindsey Graham Republican and Brad Hutto Democrat for the US Senate seat Lindsey now holds.

Last week we had a new candidate announce he would be running as an Independent and has the 10,000 signatures that SC requires to get on the ballot.

Who is this candidate ... Thomas Ravenel. His father is Arthur Ravenel, Jr. If anyone has been to Charleston we have the Arthur Ravenel Jr bridge. Ravenel is an eighth-generation descendant of French Huguenots who came to Charles Town in 1686. Old money, very rich.

Thomas was elected our SC State Treasurer in 2006 and was forced to resign in 2007 after he pled guilty to Federal charges of “conspiring to buy and distribute cocaine” in September 2007. He served 10 months in a federal prison. The deal was rehab first in New Mexico and then the 10 months in prison.

Thomas is also star of the Bravo TV show "Southern Charm." I have never watched the show so I don't know anything about it. He is a commercial real estate developer and worth millions. He graduated from The Citadel with a BS Degree and received his MBA from the University of SC.

Married in 1995 separated in 1996 divorced in 1998.
Engaged in 2001 and dumped his bride to be by telephone the day before the wedding.
DUI 2013 in the Hamptons in New York.

In announcing his candidacy he said; "I'm an imperfect messenger, I know that – but somebody's got to stand up for the message," Ravenel said. "Also, the last time I checked there are plenty of 'perfect' messengers out there who are bankrupting our Treasury, destroying our economy, and sending our sons and daughters off to die and be disfigured in places we have no business fighting."

Thomas Ravenel Running For US Senate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 06:42 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,972,026 times
I think it's a safe bet that Lindsey Graham will win in a landslide.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:42 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,878,384 times
It is difficult to wrap my mind around the fact that Ravenel was even able to capture the reported 15,000 signatures to participate in the election. I truly hope that the election results send a clearly strong message that South Carolinians are not a pack of superficial teenagers who swoon over reality television trash....even if they do have a family pedigree. Money can't buy class nor political office....I hope!

Old 07-15-2014, 02:16 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,980,985 times
I couldn't believe it. But South Carolina elected Mark Sanford to the US House of Reps.Strange things do happen.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:43 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,074,148 times
Why shouldn't we 'forgive' Ravenel -- we 'forgave' Sanford? Abandoning your job, family, country to have sex in Brazil is a lesser crime than doing coke?

Old 07-15-2014, 07:43 AM

3,594 posts, read 4,367,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I couldn't believe it. But South Carolina elected Mark Sanford to the US House of Reps.Strange things do happen.
They voted Sanford back in because of how he would vote in DC. This is a very clear message that while morality and such are important topics to SC conservatives, what legislation you support and how you vote in DC is more important. There was enough concern over the type of legislation and how Busch would vote that Sanford's history, as bad as it was, took a back seat.

In Ravenel's situation, I don't think there's enough concern on Graham's voting to put Ravenel's history out of scope.

Ravenel won't come close IMO.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,326,955 times
I'd vote for him. Not sure why I wouldn't.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:56 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,408,449 times
I know several libertarian-leaning republican friends who have already voiced support for T-Rav. Why? Because they have a fundamental distaste for Lindsay Graham and prefer a more libertarian candidate (most supported Bright in the primary) and don't care about his personal life any more than they cared about Sanford's or, frankly, care about Graham's.

I don't think for a moment that Ravenel will win, or that he'll even cost Graham enough seats to throw the election to Hutto, but it could be interesting to watch as a rift between establishment Republicans and libertarian conservatives continues.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:59 AM

3,594 posts, read 4,367,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I'd vote for him. Not sure why I wouldn't.
Not to be contrary, but wouldn't you need a reason TO vote for him? What are his positions? What is his platform? Does his political views coincide with yours more than the other candidates? While in office, what initiatives did he champion? What qualifies him more for the position than another candidate? How will electing him be any different than electing another candidate?

Old 07-15-2014, 09:48 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,326,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Not to be contrary, but wouldn't you need a reason TO vote for him? What are his positions? What is his platform? Does his political views coincide with yours more than the other candidates? While in office, what initiatives did he champion? What qualifies him more for the position than another candidate? How will electing him be any different than electing another candidate?
From what I've read and what he's summarized, he takes a more libertarian position, which aligns with myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina