Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:08 PM

45 posts, read 50,760 times

Advertisements

I heard it a little about the Citadel too. Also a little about the Columbia mall in Cola on Two Notch. I always forget about that one. I think in general North Charleston has most dangerous rep of any of the larger areas in the state. I could live there though. Probably can get a nice homestead there for like 1/3rd the price of similar housing in Mt Pleasant and it is right across the river.

Last edited by Stay At Home Mother; 11-11-2014 at 08:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 06:30 AM

12,925 posts, read 18,774,800 times
A Las Vegas developer that has a track record of success turning malls around just closed on Columbia Place Mall (Columbia Mall). That area, Decker, is seeing some rejuvenation, partly as a result of embracing its diverse demographics.

I remind 'forumers' that the FBI warns against comparing cities and communities with the agency's figures, citing that there are all kinds of factors on a more local level that are related to criminal activity. On a local level, even parts of cities or regions can use figures to suggest that one whole section of town is safer than others, while really it's almost a block-by-block analysis of where most of the danger lies.

I noted a few weeks back that the Post & Courier chose to print that all of Charleston's murders in 2014 have been on the peninsula, and I noticed that the wording in either the headline or story (or both) for each murder that the word "downtown" was used. So be careful.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:31 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,425,192 times
Downtown in the local parlance means east of Calhoun... midtown is between Calhoun and Line ... uptown is above Line...quick shorthand sometimes uses Downtown to mean the peninsula... as of Sept 30th , 5 murders occurred on the peninsula ..none below Broad. none below Calhoun... one between Calhoun and Line ( drug deal gone bad)... four above Line to the city border.....if you know Charleston, Ill not have to go into detail...

By deduction ... none occurred in West Ashley/ James Island.. Cain Hoy and Daniel Island ( no surprise there)....those areas comprise over 60 % of the city's population.

The entirety of Charleston County .. as previously noted...experienced 496 serious crimes in 2013... one would think that the poster would put down the Cola cheerleaders Pom Poms for just one second and pay attention to the 2000 serious crimes that occurred in Columbia last year. By his reckoning... if you have to be careful in Charleston ... you shouldn't step foot in Columbia.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:05 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,962,316 times
Should also be noted that Mt. Pleasant is about 1/4 of Charleston counties population. They had 1 murder in the past year, migrant construction workers in a fight, and at most 1 in 2013 as well... though I'm not even sure if they had that.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:49 PM

12,925 posts, read 18,774,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
Downtown in the local parlance means east of Calhoun... midtown is between Calhoun and Line ... uptown is above Line...quick shorthand sometimes uses Downtown to mean the peninsula... as of Sept 30th , 5 murders occurred on the peninsula ..none below Broad. none below Calhoun... one between Calhoun and Line ( drug deal gone bad)... four above Line to the city border.....if you know Charleston, Ill not have to go into detail...

By deduction ... none occurred in West Ashley/ James Island.. Cain Hoy and Daniel Island ( no surprise there)....those areas comprise over 60 % of the city's population.

The entirety of Charleston County .. as previously noted...experienced 496 serious crimes in 2013... one would think that the poster would put down the Cola cheerleaders Pom Poms for just one second and pay attention to the 2000 serious crimes that occurred in Columbia last year. By his reckoning... if you have to be careful in Charleston ... you shouldn't step foot in Columbia.
I meant be careful how you use or analyze the figures, and like the FBI said, don't use them to compare cities. I know where the murders occurred on the peninsula, just like I know where most of the violent crime occurs in Richland County. My point was, besides my belief that someone cooked the books in Charleston County, crime usually happens not randomly, but in cases of people knowing each other and committing crimes against each other, most often in certain neighborhoods.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:53 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,962,316 times
Interestingly enough I just saw an article about an armed robbery in Mt. Pleasant. The guy walked up to a lady in her car pulled out a knife and demanded her wallet, she gave it to him and he took out the money and returned the wallet..... just though that was funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina