Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 08:42 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry Knob View Post
Greenwood already has two Walmarts which kind of surprised me given its small size.
Greenwood's second Walmart Supercenter hypermarket opened in 2015. Increased population and business from points east of Bypass 25 to Lake Greenwood spurred the need for an additional store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 09:17 PM

192 posts, read 207,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I heard they were gonna build a store in Clemson. Some kinda of smaller design than their typical store. Anybody know anything about that?
I have heard a small rumor with that. Do not know if it is true or not though on my end.

They are currently in the process of getting ready to soon open a 10,200 square foot small-format Target store in Downtown Athens, Georgia. Maybe they might treat Clemson similarly since they are both college towns?

Old 11-27-2020, 05:47 AM

738 posts, read 416,185 times
One of those smaller Targets opened up on Hillsborough St across from NC State's campus in Raleigh.

I can't see that happening in Clemson with it being a more rural location and a smaller enrollment university. Would be tough to make a profit in the summer months.

It's surprising to me the Texas Roadhouse didn't make it in Greenwood. Seems like the perfect market for one of those. Guess it probably closed in 2008-2009 when the economy went south.

Last edited by Huckleberry Knob; 11-27-2020 at 05:58 AM..

Old 11-28-2020, 05:26 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Personally feel like this would've happened already if it was going to happen. Target is indeed still building larger stores, a 128k sq ft one is opening in Wisconsin, but smaller urban and campus stores is still their main focus going forward.

The only stores currently set to open in the southeast are 1 in Raleigh, 1 in the OBX, 2 smaller ones in Florida, and a campus one in Athens. There's 18 being built in the NYC metro area alone. Currently zero planned in Texas, the fastest growing state. Even California only has 4 planned, none of them large.

Dont see them wasting a new larger store on barely growing Greenwood. Not anytime soon.

Old 11-29-2020, 03:04 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Personally feel like this would've happened already if it was going to happen. Target is indeed still building larger stores, a 128k sq ft one is opening in Wisconsin, but smaller urban and campus stores is still their main focus going forward.

The only stores currently set to open in the southeast are 1 in Raleigh, 1 in the OBX, 2 smaller ones in Florida, and a campus one in Athens. There's 18 being built in the NYC metro area alone. Currently zero planned in Texas, the fastest growing state. Even California only has 4 planned, none of them large.

Dont see them wasting a new larger store on barely growing Greenwood. Not anytime soon.
Perhaps not a Super Target, but Greenwood could definitely use a Target. There are 2 Walmarts and the people down there are basically begging for a Target. I think Greenwood can support one. The 72 Bypass is busier than most people not from Greenwood realize. Perfect area for one.

Old 11-29-2020, 03:53 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Agree. Greenwood is growing. New Subdivisions and apartments popping up as well as new industry along Hwy 25. The vacant JCP at the corner of 25 and 72 in Cross Creek mall would be a great place for one. It's all one level and great square footage for one.

The town of Athens is larger than Clemson. The downtown is larger and they already have a large Target store in Athens as well as other big chain shopping. A small campus store for quick trips is a good idea.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Perhaps not a Super Target, but Greenwood could definitely use a Target. There are 2 Walmarts and the people down there are basically begging for a Target. I think Greenwood can support one. The 72 Bypass is busier than most people not from Greenwood realize. Perfect area for one.
I didn't say Super Target. Pretty sure they dont build Super Target's anymore. If you by Super Target you meant a Target like you see on Woodruff, they're not building many of those currently - like I said, 2 in the whole southeast - and I can't see Greenwood as a spot for #3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Agree. Greenwood is growing. New Subdivisions and apartments popping up as well as new industry along Hwy 25. The vacant JCP at the corner of 25 and 72 in Cross Creek mall would be a great place for one. It's all one level and great square footage for one.
Growing where? Greenwood County has grown a net 1,150 people in 9 years. Greenville County has been doing that in 2 months. That is not growth. At least not palpable growth to me. It's better than no growth, but it's nothing earth shattering, especially over a decade.

Old 11-30-2020, 06:09 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
I didn't say Super Target. Pretty sure they dont build Super Target's anymore. If you by Super Target you meant a Target like you see on Woodruff, they're not building many of those currently - like I said, 2 in the whole southeast - and I can't see Greenwood as a spot for #3.

Growing where? Greenwood County has grown a net 1,150 people in 9 years. Greenville County has been doing that in 2 months. That is not growth. At least not palpable growth to me. It's better than no growth, but it's nothing earth shattering, especially over a decade.

You are comparing it to Greenville County one of the fastest growing counties anywhere? Apples to Oranges. Not many are growing as fast as them.
I'm in Greenwood every week. I see what is going on recently. Ride Hwy 25 towards Greenville. New plants going up which bring people.
Two large subdivisions going in on Northside (one underway, one in planning stage) and a large apartment development as well. A number of major retailers have opened stores like Kohls, Ulta, Ross,Michael's, TJMaxx, and a 2nd WM Supercenter. Greenwood pulls shoppers from smaller surrounding counties like Abbeville as well. To say it barely grows is just wrong.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
You are comparing it to Greenville County one of the fastest growing counties anywhere? Apples to Oranges. Not many are growing as fast as them.
I'm in Greenwood every week. I see what is going on recently. Ride Hwy 25 towards Greenville. New plants going up which bring people.
Two large subdivisions going in on Northside (one underway, one in planning stage) and a large apartment development as well. A number of major retailers have opened stores like Kohls, Ulta, Ross,Michael's, TJMaxx, and a 2nd WM Supercenter. Greenwood pulls shoppers from smaller surrounding counties like Abbeville as well. To say it barely grows is just wrong.
Was just using Greenville to offer perspective. You can compare Greenwood with a county like Oconee, Oconee still has 4x the growth. Corporations dont care how many subdivisions are going up as they ride on Hwy 25, they care about statistics and demographics, and when you look at actual numbers, Greenwood has barely grown. All the counties around Greenwood have declined in population or barely grown themselves.

Texas is the fastest growing state with the fastest growing cities, and they have 0 Targets planned, large or small. Florida is the second fastest growing state, and they have 2 Target's planned, both the size of Walmart Markets. Not sure why Greenwood would suddenly be the hot ticket to build in when theyre not building in actual hot ticket cities.

This is no knock against Greenwood, but the city and county have inched over the decade, and that's just how it is according to the Census. Target is not throwing stores just anywhere anymore like they used to. I can't see Easley getting one either at this point.

Old 11-30-2020, 11:43 AM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:

Fair response I guess, but it is busier than most think. Not Greenville busy, no where in the stratosphere; but not dead either. When you said big Target I made the assumption that you were talking about a super. I get it that Target isn't really expanding, but Greenwood could definitely support one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina