Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 06:22 AM

77 posts, read 404,926 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Charlotte area...does the SC side of the Charlotte area have annual emission testing on cars? We have it here in Md and it is a terrible system!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 06:37 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensruul View Post
I am moving to the Charlotte area...does the SC side of the Charlotte area have annual emission testing on cars? We have it here in Md and it is a terrible system!!!!
South Carolina doesn't require any smog or emission inspections on vehicles.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:55 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
South Carolina doesn't require any smog or emission inspections on vehicles.

And that's just wrong. Wish they would get with the program and follow NC's lead.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:43 AM

77 posts, read 404,926 times
Watch what you ask for loveMountains. Md has had this for many years and the polution has only risen. It is shown to be ineffective and just costs money and time. It is a bad system and just a money maker for the state of MD.
Just my 2 cents!!

Old 11-11-2006, 07:18 PM

259 posts, read 1,182,035 times
Inspections can be a pretty big burden on some people. I mean, not every person or family drives a nearly new or dealership maintained vehicle that will pass with flying colors.
I moved to NC with a 9 year old Honda and a 18 year old pickup truck. Its not I'm not driving around with black smoke billowing out from my car but I wonder if I will have trouble getting my vehicles to pass, and worried what it will cost if they don't pass!
I've been told by a friend my Honda would fail visual inspection because I'm missing my passenger side mirror (parking lot mishap). Do I EVER use that mirror?? No, I've owned cars that didnt even have one. So if they fail me for that then its either off to the dealership to spend $$$ I don't have for something so trivial or to the junkyard to do it the good ol' boy method. All because the State of North Carolina won't allow me to drive without a mirror that I don't need anyway? Thats harsh.
And should I be penalized if a car with 170K miles doesn't operate as efficiently as one with 20K on it? I grew up in Florida, which had emissions testing long ago and abandoned it. It was strict enough that people found out how to cheat their way through it. I knew people who tuned their car so it was barely running and got it inspected, then drove it home and re-tuned it, and even shops who would *wink wink* get your car ready for inspection time.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 7,871 times
Just found out that my 2002 Ford Explorer won't pass inspection in NC because my Service Engine Light is on. The light is on because my transmission has a problem with shifting really hard. From my research, this seems like a common problem on Explorers. Ford says "We turn that light on to let you know you have a transmission problem." My mechanic says "I can't inspect your car with the light on." Cost to fix: approximately $3000. What a rip-off! Everyone knows my car does not have an emission problem, but I'm caught in this loop and I don't have $3000. Any suggestions for solutions?

Old 03-09-2009, 05:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunhawkins View Post
Just found out that my 2002 Ford Explorer won't pass inspection in NC because my Service Engine Light is on. The light is on because my transmission has a problem with shifting really hard. From my research, this seems like a common problem on Explorers. Ford says "We turn that light on to let you know you have a transmission problem." My mechanic says "I can't inspect your car with the light on." Cost to fix: approximately $3000. What a rip-off! Everyone knows my car does not have an emission problem, but I'm caught in this loop and I don't have $3000. Any suggestions for solutions?
I've found that the stand-alone inspection stations are less likely to find cause to not want to do an inspection or fail your car. Were you at a repair shop that could coincidentally do the repair for you?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:46 PM

83 posts, read 276,424 times
Inspections were rescinded in SC because they are a huge waste. Millions of lost work hours, fuel wasted traveling to and from inspections, inspection rates were a loss for auto shops (whose labor costs/hour far exceed the rate) and finally the fact that inspections have little effect on safety.

I'm an experienced mechanic and know whereof I speak. SC does not need inspections. There is no rust problem to endanger vehicle structures (unlike the Rust Belt) and no significant number of accidents are due to maintenance issues. (Want road safety? Have more DUI checkpoints!)

"Everyone knows my car does not have an emission problem, but I'm caught in this loop and I don't have $3000. Any suggestions for solutions?"

I'd try another mechanic. You can also buy a code reader at any auto store and reset the light yourself just before pulling into the inspection station so the vehicle hasn't had a chance to shift out of first. You can experiment with resetting and driving beforehand to ensure this works.

Check engine light bulbs have been known to disappear prior to inspections,
though some inspectors check to ensure it comes on before cranking the vehicle.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:19 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
And that's just wrong. Wish they would get with the program and follow NC's lead.
When I used to have to drive from Concord to Charlotte everyday for 2 years, I was constantly behind cars that blew gas fumes, and blue burning oil?

I think the plan in NC (least our area) is a complete failure.

Drive down some of the roads of Charlotte, meaning not the foo-foo neighborhoods....let's say maybe North Tryon, Eastway (I think that's the name of it, it turns into Wendover) Nothing but cars that blow fumes. I actually used to get sick in bumper to bumper traffic.

So....how do those people pass (ahem) inspection? I think having it at gas stations and the sort, leads to cash exchanged for cars that should not have passed.

Should be state inspection sites, with state employees running the testing...not Joe the mechanic/gas station employee down the street...and the inspections should be free.

Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-15-2009 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-16-2009, 12:19 AM

910 posts, read 2,293,363 times
Personally, I'm happy to hear SC is smart enough NOT to have those silly inspections anymore. Florida did away with them a year or two after I moved here because the government realized it was not really helping. I was more than glad of it because I had an old SW that would've needed expensive work that as a struggling single mom I just couldn't afford. So in my book, one more point for SC vs. NC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
View detailed profiles of: