Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2021, 02:24 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,651,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The Retreat on Broad is adding about 100 units

https://www.sumtersc.gov/sites/defau...umter_city.pdf
Lol, you beat me to it. That's great and that's a lot of units, I guess that location there is very profitable for them, and the demand or inquiry about apartments out there are very high. That's a great location there, so perhaps all those new units will attract new restaurants and other stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 07:52 AM

8,235 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Lol, you beat me to it. That's great and that's a lot of units, I guess that location there is very profitable for them, and the demand or inquiry about apartments out there are very high. That's a great location there, so perhaps all those new units will attract new restaurants and other stores.
I would love to see more apartments along North Wise Drive/ 378 and down along the Shot Pouch Trail.. To me that and its connections to Dillon Park Broad Street, Swan Lake, and the Westside of Downtown could be a real cool project especially if there are nodes of apartments and retail that gives people a reason to use it for recreation and to go to/from places of interest...

I have always liked the Old Town Landings ( I think that is its new name) off of North Purdy Street.. The perfect mix of suburban charm in the heart of the city.... More infill like this over on Owego Hwy and in the NE section of the city next to Croswell would be welcome additions and support the revitalization of the downtown area while still being a quick drive on the by pass up to Broad Street...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Su...!4d-80.3414693

The trail starts up at Crystal Lakes/Dillon Park and you can follow it through the center of town. I know all of the pockets cant be developed and may be flood plain and otherwise.. but it many of the plans for the trail do support this concept

http://www.sumtercountysc.org/penny_...h_greenway.php

Old 02-28-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I would love to see more apartments along North Wise Drive/ 378 and down along the Shot Pouch Trail.. To me that and its connections to Dillon Park Broad Street, Swan Lake, and the Westside of Downtown could be a real cool project especially if there are nodes of apartments and retail that gives people a reason to use it for recreation and to go to/from places of interest...

I have always liked the Old Town Landings ( I think that is its new name) off of North Purdy Street.. The perfect mix of suburban charm in the heart of the city.... More infill like this over on Owego Hwy and in the NE section of the city next to Croswell would be welcome additions and support the revitalization of the downtown area while still being a quick drive on the by pass up to Broad Street...

The trail starts up at Crystal Lakes/Dillon Park and you can follow it through the center of town. I know all of the pockets cant be developed and may be flood plain and otherwise.. but it many of the plans for the trail do support this concept

http://www.sumtercountysc.org/penny_...h_greenway.php
There is certainly enough open space in that area for more apartment and townhouses, I'm actually a little surprise that haven't happened yet. Those are all great ideas, you should be an advisor to the Sumter County Planning Commission.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
There is certainly enough open space in that area for more apartment and townhouses, I'm actually a little surprise that haven't happened yet. Those are all great ideas, you should be an advisor to the Sumter County Planning Commission.
I know some of these areas are or may be planned for Industrial... But, I think most of them are "lite"industrial warehouse type facilities as opposed to heavy smoke and noise producing industries or land consuming ones like Cooper Tires.. To me industries are slooooooowly moving to the northern part of the City on Wise Drive, Electric Drive, Jefferson Rd etc..Dillon Trace is already up there though I dont know what their occupancy rate is.

You have Dillon Park and Crystal Lakes Golf Course up their, the trail, access to the bypass and downtown and by allowing more apartments in this area you will take pressure off of development encroaching on the base.. Instead of a pure "industrial park" they should pursue more of a mixed use park that allows for quiet and clean industries along with residential in a campus like environment where you may even have employees of these plants living nearby and walking or biking to work.. Having a public golf course and park anchor such an area would be a plus...I get it.. Sumter loves Plants because they provide jobs that fit nicely into the Sumter labor market... but it would be nice to see if there could be a shift into more tech or other types of industries/facilities to broaden the area's tax base and labor market and this area north of town seems like a nice area to promote especially for younger folks

Old 02-28-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I know some of these areas are or may be planned for Industrial... But, I think most of them are "lite"industrial warehouse type facilities as opposed to heavy smoke and noise producing industries or land consuming ones like Cooper Tires.. To me industries are slooooooowly moving to the northern part of the City on Wise Drive, Electric Drive, Jefferson Rd etc..Dillon Trace is already up there though I dont know what their occupancy rate is.

You have Dillon Park and Crystal Lakes Golf Course up their, the trail, access to the bypass and downtown and by allowing more apartments in this area you will take pressure off of development encroaching on the base.. Instead of a pure "industrial park" they should pursue more of a mixed use park that allows for quiet and clean industries along with residential in a campus like environment where you may even have employees of these plants living nearby and walking or biking to work.. Having a public golf course and park anchor such an area would be a plus...I get it.. Sumter loves Plants because they provide jobs that fit nicely into the Sumter labor market... but it would be nice to see if there could be a shift into more tech or other types of industries/facilities to broaden the area's tax base and labor market and this area north of town seems like a nice area to promote especially for younger folks
Sounds good Woodlands, like I said the Planning Commission could use you over there. The West side of town, continues to be the all around hottest market for any sort of development in town right now. When we get this virus under control, hopefully things will pick back up. Hopefully Downtown will pick back up as well, we need a vibrant Downtown, that's important to the culture of a community.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Sounds good Woodlands, like I said the Planning Commission could use you over there. The West side of town, continues to be the all around hottest market for any sort of development in town right now. When we get this virus under control, hopefully things will pick back up. Hopefully Downtown will pick back up as well, we need a vibrant Downtown, that's important to the culture of a community.
I hate to say it .. but "commissions" often have the interest of the politicos who appointed them. .who are in the pockets of big donors .. who.. are usually developers and real estate interest.. who... mostly own/developing land west of town.. So I dont have total faith that they actually think beyond what their benefactors tell them to do. North Sumter to them is for light to heavy industry.. South is for heavy industry.. east if for agriculture and west is for retail and residential. I guess that is what has proven to work.. so they dont seem to want to deviate. With the same small pool of players at the table, there is no real incentive for them to do otherwise. The last comprehensive plan I saw seemed to continue with this line of thinking the only exception being downtown which now has its own Master Plan.. which seems to be pretty well done and thought out. I would venture to guess that the city has checked the innovation box with its downtown planning effort and the that may be as far as they are willing to go in terms of "innovation"

There is a new classification called "Suburban Development" outined in the plan that includes North Sumter.. so maybe there is some flexibility though the Zoning is still mostly industrial.. A link to the plan is below.. There is a zone around the base where they appear to be discouraging development which is likely why it is moving from Broad Street to up Hwy 521.. Here is a statement from the plan..

The continued spreading westward of low density, residential subdivisions and strip commercial development
also increases the threat of encroachment and incompatible uses to Shaw A.F.B. With the next generation of
fighter plane, the F-35, on the horizon and scheduled for Shaw within the next ten years, extreme care should
be taken when adjudicating land use actions adjacent to the base, regardless of planned land use designation.

That statement is why I think North Sumter should be considered. At some point you can get too far out 521 to where you infrastructure will be lacking.. There is plenty in North Sumter given years of industrial development planning so water in sewer utilities are in place and it is adjacent to already developed section of the City.

https://www.sumtersc.gov/sites/defau...se_element.pdf

Last edited by Woodlands; 03-01-2021 at 07:54 AM..

Old 03-01-2021, 11:37 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,132,552 times
Just saw a sign on the highway going to Columbia announcing a hearing to discuss the replacement of the westbound bridge over the Wateree River. Not sure if it’s just the one over the River or all of them in the swamp. It hasn’t been that long since they replaced all the bridges on the eastbound side.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I hate to say it .. but "commissions" often have the interest of the politicos who appointed them. .who are in the pockets of big donors .. who.. are usually developers and real estate interest.. who... mostly own/developing land west of town.. So I dont have total faith that they actually think beyond what their benefactors tell them to do. North Sumter to them is for light to heavy industry.. South is for heavy industry.. east if for agriculture and west is for retail and residential. I guess that is what has proven to work.. so they dont seem to want to deviate. With the same small pool of players at the table, there is no real incentive for them to do otherwise. The last comprehensive plan I saw seemed to continue with this line of thinking the only exception being downtown which now has its own Master Plan.. which seems to be pretty well done and thought out. I would venture to guess that the city has checked the innovation box with its downtown planning effort and the that may be as far as they are willing to go in terms of "innovation"

There is a new classification called "Suburban Development" outined in the plan that includes North Sumter.. so maybe there is some flexibility though the Zoning is still mostly industrial.. A link to the plan is below.. There is a zone around the base where they appear to be discouraging development which is likely why it is moving from Broad Street to up Hwy 521.. Here is a statement from the plan..

The continued spreading westward of low density, residential subdivisions and strip commercial development
also increases the threat of encroachment and incompatible uses to Shaw A.F.B. With the next generation of
fighter plane, the F-35, on the horizon and scheduled for Shaw within the next ten years, extreme care should
be taken when adjudicating land use actions adjacent to the base, regardless of planned land use designation.

That statement is why I think North Sumter should be considered. At some point you can get too far out 521 to where you infrastructure will be lacking.. There is plenty in North Sumter given years of industrial development planning so water in sewer utilities are in place and it is adjacent to already developed section of the City.

https://www.sumtersc.gov/sites/defau...se_element.pdf

Encroachment is the key word, and you don't want new developments of any sort against Air Force objections. New development could be in the flight path of jets, and these things can crash and burn. We need these guys and we don't want to risk losing them due to encroachment. There are lots of areas that can be develop without encroachment on the base. I would love to see the F-35 at Shaw, the are awesome.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Just saw a sign on the highway going to Columbia announcing a hearing to discuss the replacement of the westbound bridge over the Wateree River. Not sure if it’s just the one over the River or all of them in the swamp. It hasn’t been that long since they replaced all the bridges on the eastbound side.
Yeah, the westbound is long overdue, lots of rough spots.

Old 03-04-2021, 12:38 AM

93 posts, read 89,968 times
My little family was in town Saturday late in the evening. We were trying to find a place to eat. Boy, do we need some more restaurant options! Like nice ones! With all the fast food places still closed to dine in, it sure is making it hard to go out to eat with you family with a child. I'm honestly surprised we haven't gained any new bigger restaurant chains yet!

Heard Bi-Lo is finally biting the dust here. Which is sad. But inevitable. And supposedly supposed to be a Food Lion. Like we need another one of those. Too bad Publix couldn't grab it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina