Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 07:32 AM

13 posts, read 56,808 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've been researching purchasing a vacation/retirement home in SC. To date, I have focused on Surfside Beach (I've gotten some glowing remarks about living in Surfside) as I want to be close to the beach and not deal with the Myrtle Beach crowd.
The prices at Surfside (close to the beach - under 10 blocks) are pretty steep.
I was told that the beaches at Garden City are short and the streets get sand-swept pretty often.
I am looking in the 200-275k range. Any recommendations, Pawleys or Murrells?!?! or other ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 10:30 AM

151 posts, read 570,813 times
Default Garden City

We've been in the Carolina's about 2 years now, and are heading out on our second Carolina's vacation this coming summer. We're going right back to the same townhouse on the beach in Garden City we were at last year. When we drove to Murrells Inlet (2 miles south or so from Garden City) we fell in love with the place, and it reminded us of several of the communities in SoCal. Given a choice, I'd go the route of Murrells Inlet. The only thing I'd be concerned about in that area would be the possibility of a hurricane. Suspect much of the area would be hard hit and under water should one come ashore in the vicinity. Not to say that there are not other issues one might be concerned about, earthquakes and so forth in other retirement locals. To be in such a beautiful place, and have to worry about the forces of nature at the same time, a shame.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:33 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
Surfside & Garden City may be the way to go if you are looking for walking distance to the beach. Everything in the Town of Pawleys Island is $800k & up... someone just bought a creekside tear-down for $1.1m, Yikes! You can find a small house within 5 minutes of driving to the beach on Pawleys mainland in the upper end of your price range. When doing a search (http://realestate.thelitchfieldcompany.com/searchForm.cfm?&siteID=11 - broken link) look in areas such as Pawleys Landing, True Blue, Rose Run, Pawleys Place etc.

Murrells Inlet is a nice area but to get to the beach you must drive to Pawleys, GC or Huntington Beach State Park (actually very nice). There are many communities in MI, especially along the Rte 707 corridor... some very nice, some so-so.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:14 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I am in the area you speak of right now.
As we speak they are replenishing the beaches. They are doing a fantastic job, and it is a sight to see. Quite amazing. The beaches will be there and quite lovely......due to this wonderful invention. There is a moveable platform. Two boats that fill with the sand. Other digging devices......that pump in to the shore line, nice new fresh from the depths of the ocean.......sand.
Right now I know of a few homes that are 6 or so blocks from the ocean for 275,000.
I also know of a few wonderful neighborhoods, that are about one mile inland. Not far from the beach, but.......most likely not walkable.
Surfside has some of these homes. Garden City might also.
There are other places ........but I imagine you want a home with your "own" land.
Not lot leased. I'm not a person in favor of that. IMO. its not a good deal.
You can find a home here with no problem.
If you don't mind land lease.....then there are homes in Oceanside Village for sale at different prices. From 650K down to the hundreds........depending on newer, larger etc.
Some are very close to the beach. The Keys section. This development has a lake, clubhouse, and indoor pool. Plus, their own parking lot to golf cart too right at the beach. Also, their own restaurant, that is public also.
The pros are that it is so nice and close to everything.......the only downfall is if you don't mind the land lot rent.
The people are all ages, yet many older people come for the winter months.
Personally, I like all ages. The retirement communities come with too many rules on overnight guests, and underage guests. I would never want that.
Any questions you'd like to have answered DM me, I am in that area for two more months...........Summering

Old 01-26-2008, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 13,208 times
Hi there, I would seriously consider the Surfside Beach / Murrells Inlet area (maybe Prince Creek?) I am personally in love with the Murrells Inlet restaurants and marshwalk but you would have to drive to Surfside if you wanted to sit at the beach...Pawleys is way too expensive. Have you thought any about the northern end, such as Cherry Grove Beach?

Old 01-28-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNJ01 View Post
Hi,
I've been researching purchasing a vacation/retirement home in SC. To date, I have focused on Surfside Beach (I've gotten some glowing remarks about living in Surfside) as I want to be close to the beach and not deal with the Myrtle Beach crowd.
I was told that the beaches at Garden City are short and the streets get sand-swept pretty often.
I am looking in the 200-275k range. Any recommendations, Pawleys or Murrells?!?! or other ?

Thanks
Hi.......I hope you got my DM on the area.......There are some very special and interesting homes locally in Surfside Beach.
There is a few retirement communities in the Pawleys area that are not all that costly. I'd look up Woodland Lakes (?). The Glenns Bay area I spoke of has mostly retired, and yet not totally......which is nice.
If you don't mind land rents.......then Oceanside Village is the ocean block.
It has all types of homes, a lake, park, indoor swimming.....its own beach and own restaurant. You meander your golf cart over to parking right on the ocean. Quite nice. It is a blend of older and younger. Everyone friendly......
The club has parties, breakfasts, lots of get togethers. There is a library there, and also one just up the street. Two grocery stores are nearby and easy access. Of course the brand new Mall is the greatest.......every store you could wish for. You can have a home here in Oceanside Village for 200, upwards to 600 ......they vary......from when they were built.
If you'd like some more info on the OV let me know.........Summering

Old 01-30-2008, 05:48 AM

706 posts, read 1,241,203 times
I'm not sure if it is still there, but my aunt used to live at Pawley's Island in a condo complex called "Salt Marsh Cove" does anyone know if that is still there?

Old 01-30-2008, 04:11 PM

Hi..........Salters Cove is under Garden City listings......
The Salt Marsh Cove, yes is still there. I mix all this SALT right up. So many places with salt in the names LOL
The later being more of a condo development......good area......it was in need of some updating, and last I was there.....they were working on that, in different locations......those who wished to improve I suspose.
Salters Cove, has high end and lower end homes. The homes are quite close together, butr it is a cute place. Looks cozy enough. Not sure if they own their own lots there.
In Oceanside Village just a bit up, the lots are leased. Homes are nice, and access to the beach fantastic, but.......I'm not in favor of leased land.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:30 PM

40 posts, read 147,661 times
Default Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNJ01 View Post
Hi,

Thanks
Surfside is ridiculous as far as taxes and permits. Want to change your hotwater heater in Surfside, the city wants to know about it. Murrells Inlet, Prince Creek West or Collins Creek Landing are two that you should see.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:27 AM

The taxes in Surfside are just unbelieveable.........Low, low, low.......
You look at a 2000 sq foot home and the taxes are 800! Yes .......per year.
Back home the taxes on that would be about 7,000 a year in Pa. in NJersey.......
Oh MY double that....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina