Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 07:16 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Branch Betty View Post
Whitewater, I believe the dorms in Core for Honors students will be two singles sharing one bath, or two double sharing a bath. Well, I HOPE that is right...
And Thanks Mr Peatie, my daughter is starting as a bio major until she sorts out medical vs. vet school. She is currently taking AP Calculus and fingers crossed she will get credit. (Calc was my personal Waterloo in college.)

Simpsonvillian, I certainly did not mean to disparage CU, as we are spending quite a bit more for it than we would for UNC. Ads you say, CU does offer programs that UNC does not. Animal/Vet science is offered as a major and the flexibility that will give my daughter as she hones in on her desired path is one reason it is the right choice for her. That plus the open spaces and friendly faces seals the deal.

RE: Bridges program and whether higher application numbers are causing more in-state students to get put into the program. I am hearing a lot about kids in NC being accepted for Spring semester, but wait listed for Fall at UNC Wilmington and UNC Charlotte, and I have never heard of this before. The admissions staffs both said that due to unexpected applications numbers, they are putting kids in four categories; In for Fall, Wait listed for Fall and in for Spring, In for Spring, or Wait listed for Spring. All in all, the Bridges Program sounds pretty good to me compared to that mess.
I'm pretty sure the new honors dorms will be setup as suite style where 4 students share a single bath. That's becoming the "standard" for a lot of colleges. In an environment where the top colleges compete for the top students, quality of dorms is a factor. Of course, somebody has to pay for new dorm construction, and I guess part of what is driving up the cost of college is the cost of some of these amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
There is a ton of off campus apartments over in Central and Seneca and right off 123 in Clemson. They have also built a ton of new ones across the lake and they look like a resort. I think the off campus apartment options are a lot better than most universities.
Clemson has some really nice apartments and condos. About 20 years ago, my grandparents sold their home in Clemson and moved to Seneca. Their old house was torn down and the property is now an apartment complex overlooking the lake. If you have the money, you can live in a condo on the lake with your own private boat dock.

With the growth in Clemson's undergradute enrollment, these new dorms are meeting a definite need. From an article on the Douthit Hills project:

"Clemson has increased its enrollment by more than 5,000 over the past 10 years while reducing the number of on-campus housing units.
The average age of current student housing on campus is 40 years, Vander Mey said.
A recent study by the city of Clemson found current rental properties at 99 percent occupancy. Several hundred students were living in hotels last semester because apartments they had planned to rent hadn't been given the green light for occupancy by the city in time."

Anytime you have a 99 percent occupancy rate, it is going to drive up rental cost. Hopefully these new dorms help to somewhat alleviate the demand for housing.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:04 AM

149 posts, read 165,236 times
Merc450 the new housing in Core Campus is slated to be finished this summer. There will be 300 beds for Freshmen in Building A (South) and 400 for the Honors College in buildings C and D. core | Clemson Home
This project looks terrific and helped my kid make her final decision between Clemson and USC. She was originally wowed by USC's new Honors housing, but when she heard Clemson was following suit, her decision was made.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:48 AM

As previously mentioned, the Core campus is supposed to open this fall. The Douthit Hills project is scheduled to be ready for fall 2018.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:07 AM

Update- Core campus housing is open on schedule. Some of my daughter's friends she made over the summer at Eureka! got to move in early for band. Not sure if it is just typical Freshman-style shock at having to share a room, but complaints about size of double rooms and especially size of closets are being made. The bathrooms in the suites look nice from pictures posted. Our daughter has a single and she's moving in tomorrow. We aren't sure what to expect. What's most important is that she can't wait to get back to Clemson!

Old 08-11-2016, 09:55 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
i hope your daughter enjoys Clemson. i had a great time. being 18 is the best age having your independecne for the first time but still getting finanicial support from the parents and having a lot of breaks and summers off.

the Shoeboxes are no doubt much smaller than the new Core Campus buildings, like shoeboxes. i stayed in these for a year, but they are in a great location close to everything.

i was over there last week and the Core Campus buildings looks fantastic from the outside. it is a big upgrade over the Johnstone dorms, known as the Tin Cans due the paper thin tin walls between the rooms, that were located there up to 2002 or so. the plan is to do major landscaping with trees for a greenspace between the new dorms and the cafeteria. they are going to replace the cafeteria and student union in a few years.

the university has approved taking down the dorm Clemson House up on the hill across from Bowman Field. i have not seen what they plan to put there. i assume it will be a new dorm. i loved living in the Clemson House because it was originally a hotel, co-ed, and they have a small cafeteria and barber shop on the 1st floor.

The new dorms, Douthit Hills, adjacent to Clemson house are coming along, it looked like 3 or 4 of them were about done, and they look nice.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:01 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cpm0SbDXgAAnDLF.jpg:large

a view of the Clemson stadium from one of the Core Campus dorms, at the link.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:30 AM

Simpsonvillian, you beat me to it. Just dropped my kid off and snapped a picture from the lounge at the top of building C. But your link is way better than mine. The buildings are absolutley beautiful. College wasn't like this back in my day!

Old 08-13-2016, 12:43 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,208,246 times
I work for another college in the state and you would be shocked at the parental complaints with buildings & dorms that would have been considered standard issue 20 years ago. There really has been a facilities arms race at colleges and it does play a huge part in drawing students. One thing that Clemson has that helps is a pretty healthy out of state enrollment. So if new dorms are a big draw the tuition differential between in & out of state helps treat that as a marketing point as much as anything. And unlike academic buildings the dorms are treated as auxiliary. So they pay for themselves over time and the higher cost is passed along to the students/residents based on each dorm.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:34 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Hope your daughter loves it as much as mine. She's starting her third year and was there the last couple of weeks helping load in and prep Core, though she's over in East Campus. She did say she was sad to see Clemson House go, even though it is old.

I started in Johnstone, almost 40 years ago now. The tincans were old even then. Moved over to Lever for the last three years. Funny thing, the desks and dressers are the same ones that were installed when they were built in the 60s. I doubt the particle board stuff in Core will last that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina