Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 12:51 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,950,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Different areas. Ohio, Florida, my last one was from Denver. Some just want a change, some for their jobs. There is a transition going on in general with people moving south.
That certainly makes sense as that is happening in every city of the state and I don't doubt for a second builders are not researching prior to investing but I can also easily see how an investor would invest in a red hot market like Greenville has and continues to be but still end up not getting much of a return on it.

I am not investing anything into real estate much less millions like many of these developers are so I am certainly not the expert on this situation nor suggesting they are not knowledgeable, I am just suggesting that a red hot market seeing the building boom we are without a much more substantial growth increase will not stay red hot for long and especially not how the prices are trending either.

Once again, as of this moment, Greenville has not overbuilt but once all of these condos and apartments that are currently under construction or planned come on the market, we will be at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 01:12 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,971,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
That certainly makes sense as that is happening in every city of the state and I don't doubt for a second builders are not researching prior to investing but I can also easily see how an investor would invest in a red hot market like Greenville has and continues to be but still end up not getting much of a return on it.

I am not investing anything into real estate much less millions like many of these developers are so I am certainly not the expert on this situation nor suggesting they are not knowledgeable, I am just suggesting that a red hot market seeing the building boom we are without a much more substantial growth increase will not stay red hot for long and especially not how the prices are trending either.

Once again, as of this moment, Greenville has not overbuilt but once all of these condos and apartments that are currently under construction or planned come on the market, we will be at that point.
I don't think it's really a matter of developers doing better research, it's that they most likely don't care.
Let's say a bubble market only last 5 years. In that 5 years you can make incredible returns before everything tanks. Even if you looses lot of money in the last year it's most likely going to be more than offset during the boom years. It doesn't really pay to be cautious during a bubble.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 1 day ago)

5,735 posts, read 4,724,666 times
Developers must develop. It's the nature of the business. Sometimes they get a little too excited.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:52 PM

5,492 posts, read 8,345,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post

We will just have to see. Many things can play a factor in growth.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:03 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,427,780 times
it can only be overbuilding if the buildings are mostly unoccupied or the price point on the apartments/ condos drops so low that the buildings become slums. That isn't going to happen.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:24 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,971,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
it can only be overbuilding if the buildings are mostly unoccupied or the price point on the apartments/ condos drops so low that the buildings become slums. That isn't going to happen.
You must have somehow missed out on the entire housing bubble of 2008 because that's exactly what happened.
I remember seeing condos under construction that had a sign that said "coming soon, condos from $400s. "
Then a few weeks later "coming soon condos from the $100s."

Old 11-01-2016, 06:09 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,950,608 times
Quote:
We will just have to see. Many things can play a factor in growth.
Agree 100%. I could be totally wrong on this so lets just sit back and see what happens.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 1 day ago)

5,735 posts, read 4,724,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You must have somehow missed out on the entire housing bubble of 2008 because that's exactly what happened.
I remember seeing condos under construction that had a sign that said "coming soon, condos from $400s. "
Then a few weeks later "coming soon condos from the $100s."
How quickly people have forgotten.

It can happen anywhere. Even SC.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:51 AM

159 posts, read 125,424 times
Quote:
As a person out here in the real estate market, I can tell you we haven't overbuilt. Still a seller's market and apartment inventory is even lower than the housing inventory. Our developers have researched the market.
Developers are the worst folks about overbuilding. Typically the use other people's money and have little invested, they will build until things fall apart and then file bankruptcy. Then, they cycle starts all over again.........is 2008 such a distant memory that we think developers are not immune to dumb decisions?

Why have hotel rooms doubled in DT Greenville? You don't see this in faster growing cities like Charleston, Raleigh or Charlotte.

Why build more office space when the city has roughly 6 years worth of inventory downtown?

Why build more when the metro has less jobs today than it did at year end 2015.

I am not against development, I love to see it happen but Greenville is out of line when compared with other markets.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:00 AM

159 posts, read 125,424 times
Quote:
Definitely don't won't it to be like Charlotte. At least I don't.
That's good because Greenville won't be like Charlotte in our lifetime, even if you are 10. Why:

Charlotte is better educated, has more diversity in every respect, is growing much faster, is a ton wealthier, has pro sports, better arts, 2 hours to the mountains..........3.5 to the beach, So no....you won't be like Charlotte.

But, Greenville does love to brag.............boy do they love to brag..........

Delegations from around the country are heading to Greenville, and taking home lessons in downtown development - Upstate Business Journal

For one........cities around the country visit other cities to see what works and what does not. Only in Greenville would this be seen as "we are so good, people are coming to see us"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina