Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:00 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times

Advertisements

^Very true. Past and present city leadership deserves the bulk of the credit for downtown's current success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 05:04 AM

2 posts, read 7,514 times
I'd move to Greenville, easy to get around. Good entertainment, jobs, culture and not to mention at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Asheville NC is a 45 minute drive.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:36 AM

473 posts, read 1,245,347 times
Skyliner,

Those photos of Greenville are beautiful. How is the drive from Greenville to Clemson University if we lived in Greenville and the wife went to Clemson? I have an Econ degree. How is the job market in Greenville? Thanks.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:01 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Greenville doesn't have much of an identity??? Click here to see a few reasons why I disagree.
That's fine. Everyone has their opinion. Those are nice photos, but I've seen photos of Charleston, Columbia, Wilmington, Savannah, Raleigh, Greensboro, etc., that make me say "oooooh.. " as well. Every town has its photogenic side.

I've just been hearing about how PERFECT Greenville is for a very long time, but when I visit, it just doesn't deliver, that's all. I've been there a few Saturday nights, gone out downtown to bars, and gone to see live music. I see an extremely clean, but boring downtown, surrounded by typical sprawl.

I may move there one day when I have kids, but in the past, Greenville has not been a fun or interesting place for me. It seems like a really big, clean version of Sumter.

Last edited by anonymous; 03-05-2008 at 08:09 AM..

Old 03-05-2008, 02:08 PM

5,489 posts, read 8,319,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
That's fine. Everyone has their opinion. Those are nice photos, but I've seen photos of Charleston, Columbia, Wilmington, Savannah, Raleigh, Greensboro, etc., that make me say "oooooh.. " as well. Every town has its photogenic side.

I've just been hearing about how PERFECT Greenville is for a very long time, but when I visit, it just doesn't deliver, that's all. I've been there a few Saturday nights, gone out downtown to bars, and gone to see live music. I see an extremely clean, but boring downtown, surrounded by typical sprawl.

I may move there one day when I have kids, but in the past, Greenville has not been a fun or interesting place for me. It seems like a really big, clean version of Sumter.
What??? Look at many nationwide forums and click on South Carolina and see which areas have the most interest. Its usually the upstate with more numbers. While many like Greenville there is also others who envy it, which is ok. That means we're doing something right.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:35 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
What??? Look at many nationwide forums and click on South Carolina and see which areas have the most interest. Its usually the upstate with more numbers. While many like Greenville there is also others who envy it, which is ok. That means we're doing something right.
if your opinion is based on what everyone else thinks, that's fine by me. more (or less) power to you.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:42 PM

69 posts, read 356,571 times
Hmmm, asking me to compare Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston is tough--kinda like trying to compare apple pie, cherry pie, and pumpkin pie. You might have a preference between the first two, but the third is so different than any other pie you've tried it's hard to express a comparison.

It's been a long time since I've spent time in Columbia. I didn't care for it, but it was in the middle of a heat wave in summer. I spent a little time in Greenville this past December and was very impressed with downtown. But I always try to remember that choices as a tourist are different than the choices of a prospective mover. I also like Greenville in terms of location--close to other upstate cities, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Asheville and the NC mountains. But Columbia is closer to Charleston and beaches.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 PM

5,591 posts, read 15,375,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
That's fine. Everyone has their opinion...I've just been hearing about how PERFECT Greenville is for a very long time, but when I visit, it just doesn't deliver, that's all. I've been there a few Saturday nights, gone out downtown to bars, and gone to see live music. I see an extremely clean, but boring downtown, surrounded by typical sprawl.

You are correct, everyone has an opinion. Yours happens to be an unusual one in this case, though I can't fault you for that. No one has ever claimed Greenville (or any other city for that matter) has achieved perfection. One of my descriptions would be "casually sophisticated." I get out in downtown Greenville nearly every night and the place is typically bustling with activity on the sidewalks, in the parks and plazas, and of course in the restaurants and bars. The weather obviously plays a role in how many people will be out on the street, but check us out on a comfortable night like tonight and you'll surely be infected by the great vibrancy.

For those who have not seen it yet, check out this website.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
Skyliner, I viewed the site and it has some very beautiful pics on it. Thank you for providing the link.

We all have to keep in mind though that we don't all like the same cities and that's a good thing. I'd hate to see how populated one town could be if we ALL liked it.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:00 AM

737 posts, read 1,654,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timunh View Post
Hmmm, asking me to compare Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston is tough--kinda like trying to compare apple pie, cherry pie, and pumpkin pie. You might have a preference between the first two, but the third is so different than any other pie you've tried it's hard to express a comparison.
I think that statement pretty much hits the nail on the head when comparing the three main metro areas in SC, however I still say that the "pumpkin pie" is baked with the same type of crust as the other "pies" different but still familiar.

SC is no longer an option for me, but if it was Columbia would be my kinda pie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina