Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 12:46 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,950,384 times

Advertisements

Its kind of crazy to look at this on a daily rate.

24 people every day moved to Greenville County based off of this figure from 2018 to 2019.

To be honest, I really thought we were slowing down but thats still a lot of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 01:44 PM

12,965 posts, read 18,818,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Lexington drives the growth in that area.
The Columbia metro drives the growth; that is, Columbia drives the growth. Lexington County, partly West Columbia and Cayce just across the river from a more expensive downtown Columbia, is where most of the metro growth is occurring right now. That said, the estimates indicate that the metro itself has seen less growth than the year before and that it has been on a downward trend the last few years.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:54 PM

I just thought of all the young non student food and beverage workers in the Charleston metro and city who surely have had to leave and go stay with their parents all across SC and nearby states who won’t be asked on the Census Bureau’s website where they normally live as a student. If their name is on a lease in Charleston it’s one thing. If not, they’ll be counted at their parents’ house. I don’t see how the count can give an accurate picture of where the people are without a big asterisk. COVID-19.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:34 PM

Very sadly, I just read that hotels and restaurants in Charleston are going to be scrambling in a major way to try to re-staff after COVID-19, and that many in the hospitality industry will break away and find other work. I fear the city and metro area are going to take a huge hit on our population because of the number of young people who were in the field who have had no choice but to move back to their parents’ homes in the towns where they came from, where they will be counted in the census.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:59 AM

11,712 posts, read 24,837,801 times
Not surprising about Columbia. Greenville and Charleston just appeal to people more in today’s age for various different reasons.

And regarding Myrtle Beach: Retired people move there due to all of the golf courses. Sad but true. I personally would never want to live there though.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:51 PM

I read that Horry County has more deaths than births each year and that it’s dramatic growth is owing pretty much entirely to retirees.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:25 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,470,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
24 people every day moved to Greenville County based off of this figure from 2018 to 2019.
I guess you can look at it that way, but these numbers are net. It includes births and deaths, so some of those 24 people are babies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Not surprising about Columbia. Greenville and Charleston just appeal to people more in today’s age for various different reasons.
I'd say Columbia/Richland is surprising because it still has job growth and livability. The fact that counties like Pickens County grew faster is baffling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I fear the city and metro area are going to take a huge hit on our population because of the number of young people who were in the field who have had no choice but to move back to their parents’ homes in the towns where they came from, where they will be counted in the census.
I don't think it'll be that big a deal. You say where you're counted. And if this were the case it'd be a bigger issue for Myrtle Beach and cities like Orlando.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:57 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,067,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Jobs would be the number one reason. Charleston and Greenville have experienced more successful recoveries from the Great Recession, particularly in the manufacturing sector and both metro areas have a mutually beneficial economic relationship due to manufacturing in the Upstate and Charleston's port. Greenville has also done pretty good landing some back office operations and call centers and of course, you've got healthcare in Charleston as well as the addition of smaller tech and pharmaceutical firms.

It will be interesting to see how this current pandemic shakes things up. An analysis from the Brookings Institute shows Columbia as the SC metro least affected by the current economic downturn, at least when it comes to sectors that are initially impacted.

Old 04-05-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I don't think it'll be that big a deal. You say where you're counted. And if this were the case it'd be a bigger issue for Myrtle Beach and cities like Orlando.
Those, too. I guess anywhere that might lose a good many young non college workers to rural areas where their parents live could be affected.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:53 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,470,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Those, too. I guess anywhere that might lose a good many young non college workers to rural areas where their parents live could be affected.
In my opinion, I don't think that's going to happen on a significant scale. Charleston will be fine in the census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina