Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 03:37 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
I just think it’s funny that only they are the ones saying it’s their only username. But all the others (if they’re their own person like they claim) haven’t said a word to deny it.
Like I said, his other names are no longer active. I dont know if he deactivated his account again, or if he was removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 03:44 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Upstate John is one of the persons who has been strident about mask wearing on the Greenville forum.

He has also said Greenville is boring despite the fact he lives in the one stoplight town of Gray Court and posting on the Greenville forum daily. He likes to sneer about people liking The Cheesecake Factory which is similar to complaining about people liking the waterfall.
Well, lets see, I dont I have have said anything negative about masks, Id like to know what it was I said. I love living in Gray Court and Im glad theres only 1 stop light and Im not fighting traffic every day to go to work, out ot eat, or just hanging out by a waterfall.. As for TCF, the last comment i recall making was in reply to a comment you made about the mall, but Ill sorta agree with that part.

UpstateJohn - Same username since I joined!!!

Old 06-26-2021, 08:02 PM

1,290 posts, read 784,069 times
I often see people trash the education system in SC but I have never seen anybody try to argue public colleges in the Northeast like UMass, Uconn, UofNH, etc are better than Clemson and the UofSC.

People in those states like to tout the private sector universities like Harvard, Yale and similar. If their public education is superior and better funded than our public colleges, it seems like they would mention their public colleges more especially given the average kid that grows up in the northeast does not attend one of the small enrollment Ivies.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 06-26-2021 at 08:12 PM..

Old 06-28-2021, 07:56 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
That was not his point. His comment was current tense.

Greenville had empty storefronts at one point. The department stores and other stores relocating to the suburbs back in the day didn't crowd out local mom and pop stores downtown. There was a ton of vacant space for them at the time.
Can you link to the particular comment you are referring to?

Old 06-28-2021, 09:56 AM

1,124 posts, read 926,223 times
I’m confused as to why YAC has nothing better to do than delete a comment that A) wasn’t harassing, and B) Wasn’t hurtful. Didn’t break any rules and I’m really getting tired of him.

Old 06-28-2021, 11:42 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
One of the things I learned from living around the country, is locals often have quite a bit of pride for local schools that the rest of the country has not even heard of.

Old 06-28-2021, 01:04 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,128,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
One of the things I learned from living around the country, is locals often have quite a bit of pride for local schools that the rest of the country has not even heard of.

True. I didn't graduate from Clemson or Furman, but they're certainly fine schools by any measure, though.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:32 PM

1,290 posts, read 784,069 times
Our colleges are flooded with students from other states, especially kids from the northeast. In the 90s, we used to say Clemson is Rutgers University, South Campus because of all the NJ kids. It was surprising to me these kids would travel so far to go to Clemson. My 3 hour drive from the eastern part of the state was more than I wanted to do.

I would be surprised if the average person in the south has heard of the majority of colleges up north and other regions outside of those with competitive teams in football and basketball, and some of the Ivy league schools. I think all of the colleges in P5 conferences are the most well known along with Harvard, Yale and Princeton. Many states don't have a college in the P5. Tourism to SC has to give Coastal Carolina and College of Charleston some exposure as well. Many of the students at Clemson had vacationed with their family in SC and that's how they ended up applying. They loved the state.

I did not know the major public universities in New York (Stony Point, Binghamton, Buffalo) until recently after looking into it. I had thought Syracuse was the major public university at one point. Clemson and UofSC may have more name recognition nationally than these 3 colleges despite New York being the 4th most populated state and more wealthy people living there.

One of the neat things about attending Clemson for a small town kid like me was meeting all of these kids from other states and regions, typically big cities like Boston. It gave Clemson a cosmopolitan vibe despite being located in a rural area.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 06-28-2021 at 04:24 PM..

Old 06-28-2021, 05:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Quote:
Our colleges are flooded with students from other states, especially kids from the northeast.
This is exactly the mantra of this particular poster, in the many versions that have appeared. Make bold statements that aren't supported by any type of facts. Then, when you ask for facts, crickets.

I wonder what the per capita population of students from the Northeast is at Clemson.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:48 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
This is exactly the mantra of this particular poster, in the many versions that have appeared. Make bold statements that aren't supported by any type of facts. Then, when you ask for facts, crickets.

I wonder what the per capita population of students from the Northeast is at Clemson.
Not sure exactly how accurate but here was one I found.
https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...tion_diversity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina