Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 10:42 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,459,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
South Carolina isn’t the former Confederate state still struggling to get into a higher tier on ‘good’ lists. The reparations argument isn’t without merit for large swaths of SC’s and the southeast’s population.
Does anybody outside of CD actually care about these lists? I would hear in real life "oh SC is 45 in education", but no one could ever tell you who #1 is. Who knows state GDP or road or QOL or hospital rankings by heart, or cares.

I really dont care where SC ranks where. I was just making a point how things could be better and why they haven't been. The south has done it to itself. I just want to see more prosperity, especially for people in dire situations, like the 95 corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 01:40 PM

12,937 posts, read 18,787,237 times
Quote:
South Carolina isn’t the former Confederate state still struggling to get into a higher tier on ‘good’ lists. The reparations argument isn’t without merit for large swaths of SC’s and the southeast’s population.
supposed to be South Carolina isn’t the only former...

Old 05-18-2021, 01:51 PM

But no doubt the South has done it to itself, including when it seceded and started the Civil War. No excuses, but from the starting point of total economic devastation after the war to now, efforts to get everyone on a more even playing field regardless of certain demographics has seen uneven results in SC and other southeastern states.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:02 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I dont need your links or condescending attitude. I was talking about generational poverty from the war, not generational poverty at all. Those issues "east and south of downtown" are because of systemic policies that were put in the place in the 20th century that still carry over...generations later. Georgia's freeway building wiped out entire black neighborhoods and strangled others. Redlining existed, Jim Crow existed, voter suppression existed, education wasn't equal. Rural/urban divide existed. Income inequality exists everywhere. Miami has it just as bad and had nothing to do with the war.

People being consistently poor in Atlanta today, whether in the inner city or out in the sticks, has all to do with leadership that didn't have the best interest of everyone in mind, and I'm saying that in a polite way.

Atlanta along with DC are the the two most prosperous metros for African Americans in the country. AA's in Atlanta can live a great middle class and upper class life. What you see on MLK Blvd is no different than any other MLK Blvd in any other city. LA is an economic engine and still has Skid Row. NYC has the largest economy in the world and still has the Bronx. DC still has southeast. Chicago still has southside. Houston still has the wards. Dallas still has MLK and Malcom X. Miami still has Opa Locka. SF still has homeless pooping on the train. So what is your point.
You were claiming things about Atlanta that were blatantly false based on a visit to Buckhead, a tiny piece of Atlanta, and applying it to the entire city. The bolded part clearly demonstrate you have no knowledge of Atlanta, or it's more recent history.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Atlanta has had an AA dominated city hall since the 70s. Ample amounts of money have been thrown at the issues without changing anything.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
You were claiming things about Atlanta that were blatantly false based on a visit to Buckhead, a tiny piece of Atlanta, and applying it to the entire city. The bolded part clearly demonstrate you have no knowledge of Atlanta, or it's more recent history.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Atlanta has had an AA dominated city hall since the 70s. Ample amounts of money have been thrown at the issues without changing anything.
No you just made assumptions. I've been all over Atlanta, from Alpharetta to Riverdale. Just because I pointed out Buckhead specifically doesn't mean that's all I'm aware of. With reading comprehension you'd see I said I was "just in Buckhead." Never did I say "I've only been to Buckhead, but..." Buckhead is not the only part of Atlanta with wealth, nor do I really care that you think youre a self proclaimed Atlanta wizard.

You also make assumption I'm talking only and all about Atlanta city leadership - though I was well aware of what their city hall looks like. I know who Keisha Bottoms, Kasim Reed, Maynard Jackson, Shirley Franklin, etc are. Has nothing to do with my point.

Should've been obvious who exactly I was talking about. So this demonstrates to me that you have no knowledge of Georgia history. Pretty stupid call out right.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:09 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
Hahaha, you are funny.

Just to re-hash, you specifically used Buckhead as your example. Now you claim that I should have extrapolated that you’ve been all over Atlanta.

Further, you use ClemVegas style debate tactics to read into my posts. I only replied specifically to what YOU actually typed. No more, no less. I am not interpreting anything. I used your words to rebut your points. It seems to have gotten you all wadded up.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
But no doubt the South has done it to itself, including when it seceded and started the Civil War. No excuses, but from the starting point of total economic devastation after the war to now, efforts to get everyone on a more even playing field regardless of certain demographics has seen uneven results in SC and other southeastern states.
I mean a common theme is southern states putting in lower investment than everyone else, unless its football. That's a reason why. But its not just a "south" problem. Redlining was a policy that was common all over the US. Long Island is a big example. What every state did after those things depends.

Old 05-29-2021, 10:30 AM

1,290 posts, read 786,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassnumbers View Post
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/south-carolina

you guys don't seem to be from one of the worst states in America, I don't see a huge amount of complaining here, my mom recently moved out there, even. Yet if you check rankings, SC consistently ranks one of the worst states in America. Crime at a whopping #46, education at #44, health care at #34, infrastructure at #36 opportunity at #38 This is not a recent development in statistics either, but rather a trend that has existed for several years now, at least going back to 2019. The stats and the average perception (the view of those who live there, and those who don't) of SC don't match at all. whats up with that?
Did you ask your mother?

Momma always knows best. Sounds like she prefers to live in SC rather than Hawaii near you.

Old 05-29-2021, 11:37 AM

1,290 posts, read 786,681 times
South Carolina has a higher percentage of the demographics that struggle in school and financially more than others on a national level and are associated with higher crime. There are large poor urban ghettos outside of the southeast with the same demographics.

If a student is failing all his classes in SC, he or she will fail all his classes outside of SC and other southern states.

There's no correlation to the state or the south. That's a scapegoating excuse.

Old 05-29-2021, 06:51 PM

It depends where in the state. For instance, Travel & Leisure Magazine just named Charleston and Columbia to their 2021 list of best cities to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina