Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 07:49 PM

1,290 posts, read 783,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Ludicrous. Black people loved Hollings in his post-segregationist years of service. Same for Thurmond. White politicians can say nice things about those men without upsetting Black people, because Black people feel the same, with exceptions as there are exceptions on all topics. What they can’t say, as Trent Lott said in effect, is that they wish either man had won the presidency on a segregationist ticket and that we wouldn’t have as many problems as we have today if they had won. Night and day.
I don't think Trent Lott would have had an issue if he was a Democratic at the time, similar to Biden getting away with telling a black man he ain't black if he doesn't vote for Biden. That comment would have caused a firestorm if Joe B was a Republican as would his cherrypicking covid travel ban on the African nations.

Your view on Strom Thurmond is interesting in that it doesn't jive with what people with your views typically say. And many liberals including black residents want his name removed from the fitness center at UofSC. This includes two former star players on the UofSC football team, , Alshon Jeffery and Marcus Lattimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 06:18 AM

5,486 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:
Charleston South Carolina’s most liberal city, Myrtle Beach second

“Historically, Charleston leads the state in liberal politics.

“Traditionally, the 10 year trend has been:

“Charleston (most liberal)
Columbia, S.C. (very liberal)
Myrtle Beach (emerging liberal city)”

November, 2021
https://myrtlebeachsc.com/with-colum...l-city-in-s-c/
In this context is liberal supposed to mean better? Lol. I personally like a mixture.

Old 01-05-2022, 01:51 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
I'm not sure how I am engaged in liberalism when I go downtown Charleston to a restaurant, to walk in a park, etc. The only thing that would bring politics to mind would be a political protest which tend to be liberal in any city.

The downtown Charleston vibe is liberal in the sense that it is the most likely area of SC along with Columbia to have major riots and have leaders who tell the police to stand down.

As I've pointed out, Republicans in the Charleston suburbs and Republican tourists go downtown Charleston.
Nonsense. Southern conservatives are way more likely than liberals to make comments that they never go downtown, whether they cite the parking, which is a cinch btw, or “too many crazies” or “too many homeless people,” etc. They are far more likely to stick around their suburban enclaves and nearby shopping centers and go to restaurants with parking lots. “City” is as bad a word to them as “government.” All I have to do is watch my Facebook feed to see that conservative politics and anti-city sentiment go hand in hand. Are there exceptions? Of course. Downtown Charleston has a liberal vibe.

Old 01-05-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I think it makes more sense to talk about metros than cities. MB is probably the most Republican metro in SC.

Mount Pleasant has a Republican mayor. That's the nicest area of Charleston in my view and it is right across the harbor from downtown.

Lexington County and northeast Richland County in the Columbia are heavily Republican as well.
It doesn’t necessarily make more sense to talk about metros than cities if the purpose is to say which cities are the most liberal as in the article I referenced. Cities do have status as self-contained entities.

As I’ve said, people in the outskirts live out there to be away from the city vibe, which is too liberal, crazy, and tax-loving for them. City dwellers and most local downtown patrons lean more liberal than people on the outskirts who dependably vote for Trump types and GOP congressional reps.

GOP voters don’t fancy downtowns as much as more liberal voters do. They work there if they have to, but go home to the outskirts and stay there. Are there exceptions? Of course.

Old 01-05-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
In this context is liberal supposed to mean better? Lol. I personally like a mixture.
It is what it is.

Old 01-05-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
It is what it is.
What is?

Old 01-05-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I don't think Trent Lott would have had an issue if he was a Democratic at the time, similar to Biden getting away with telling a black man he ain't black if he doesn't vote for Biden. That comment would have caused a firestorm if Joe B was a Republican as would his cherrypicking covid travel ban on the African nations.

Your view on Strom Thurmond is interesting in that it doesn't jive with what people with your views typically say. And many liberals including black residents want his name removed from the fitness center at UofSC. This includes two former star players on the UofSC football team, , Alshon Jeffery and Marcus Lattimore.
Those football players should reassess imo. It’s pretty common knowledge that while Thurmond was GOP and therefore not the candidate of choice for most Black South Carolinians, he worked hard to bring home the bacon that benefited South Carolinians regardless of race, and left his racist ideology and practices behind as a senator.

Old 01-05-2022, 09:27 PM

1,290 posts, read 783,000 times
Quote:
It doesn’t necessarily make more sense to talk about metros than cities if the purpose is to say which cities are the most liberal as in the article I referenced. Cities do have status as self-contained entities.

As I’ve said, people in the outskirts live out there to be away from the city vibe, which is too liberal, crazy, and tax-loving for them. City dwellers and most local downtown patrons lean more liberal than people on the outskirts who dependably vote for Trump types and GOP congressional reps.

GOP voters don’t fancy downtowns as much as more liberal voters do. They work there if they have to, but go home to the outskirts and stay there. Are there exceptions? Of course.

It is interesting how you want to be the spokesperson for conservatives as well as black people despite not being a member of either group.

You characterize people choosing to live in the suburbs in a negative way , as anti-city and as a political calculation rather than non-political reasons like newer houses, larger yards, school scores, safety, etc. Going with your calculation, liberal Darla Moore lives in a rural area near Lake City because she hates liberals.

Choosing to live in a suburb doesn't mean you don't interact with the CBD. I think you understand there is a difference between the CBD and the rest of the urban area.

It would be an interesting experiment to see how downtown Charleston holds up without Republican customers.

You have said you live in James Island which isn't downtown Charleston and is not urban. I can most likely get to downtown Greenville quicker than you can get to downtown Charleston. I don't think the average Democratic James Island resident drives into urban Charleston to visit the bad parts of it.

There are many posts by people with your general views who say there are too many conservatives in Greenville and list it as a con. I point out they could move to the west side of the metro which votes heavily for Democratics. They seem to prefer to live in the majority Republican areas.

I wouldn't be surprised if 90% or more of the poor people in the urban part of CHarleston would choose live out in the burbs if they had more money. I don't think they care about expensive restaurants and stores downtown.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 01-05-2022 at 09:48 PM..

Old 01-06-2022, 01:28 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
What is?
IT is.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
IT is.
Nah. What is it? Can be anything. If you're talking about being more liberal than conservative and vice versa I disagree. A place that is locked one way or the other only appeals to that group or segment. No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina