Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2024, 09:24 PM

12,952 posts, read 18,813,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
As usual in your posts this comes off as if conservative is bad and liberal is good. Lots of these folks are actually like me. Ethnic Americans who consider themselves family oriented and traditional. I'm not necessarily religious, but I subscribe to what most would say is Christian values. My extended family definitely identifies as Christian. For some folks like myself, our views are the same as they've ever been. But culture is drastically shifting and we haven't. It seems to have moved more left, but we have remained fairly traditional and now are falling right of center. That's not bad too me. I love Greenville as do my family who have relocated here.
The not shifting part -

There was a time when that meant no hem in a woman’s dress would ever be above the ankle and she would never be able to vote if the non-shifters had their way. I like a populace that’s more willing to shift with the times. My family is all Christian, some more conservative, some more liberal (dear Momma thank you) (and baby brother). Some regions tend to be more conservative, some more liberal. But news flash: Lots of liberals are Christian and vice versa.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 08:50 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 26 days ago)

757 posts, read 359,197 times
Greenville First Baptist is probably more liberal than any church in Charleston or any Baptist church nationally. Greenville isn't the conservative mecca people make it out to be. The corporate cultures are as liberal as it gets.

I doubt most people on a national level view Charleston as "liberal" at this point. It probably would surprise most people to hear somebody say that.

Greenville and most of the state changed, it went from Democrat in the slavery and segregation eras to Republican, because of the transplants. It was one of the first "New South" cities. It industrialized well before Charleston did.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 04-20-2024 at 09:29 AM..

Old 04-20-2024, 09:32 AM

Watch the elections by county.

Old 04-20-2024, 09:34 AM

2023’s fastest-growing state is the nation’s third hardest state for employers to find workers in.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-emp...hiring/101730?

Old 04-20-2024, 09:44 AM

People outside of SC who have your views of history and issues likely think Charleston is ultra conservative, because of its slavery and civil war history.

Greenville's not associated strongly with the civil war and slavery era. It seems like on paper people would view it as more progressive by default.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 04-20-2024 at 10:04 AM..

Old 04-20-2024, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
This is fun. I just happened to notice Meta AI on Facebook.

I asked which SC cities are the most conservative and the most liberal.

The most conservative cities in South Carolina include ¹:
1. Clemson (74.6%)
2. Central (74.6%)
3. Easley (74.6%)
4. Seneca (73.0%)
5. Gaffney (71.4%)
6. Anderson (70.3%)
7. Batesburg-Leesville (67.0%)
8. Myrtle Beach (66.1%)
9. North Myrtle Beach (66.1%)
10. Conway (66.1%)

Here are the most liberal cities in South Carolina ¹:
1. Columbia
2. Cayce
3. Irmo
4. Forest Acres
5. Orangeburg
6. Marion
7. Sumter
8. Charleston
9. North Charleston
10. Mount Pleasant
The most conservative city in South Carolina is Central.
It is hard to imagine the average "liberal" wanting to live in Sumter, Orangeburg, Cayce, North Charleston, etc.

Surprised to see Clemson and Central as most conservative given it is mostly college kids and faculty. AI isn't ready for prime time. It failed political science 101.

Old 04-20-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
People outside of SC who have your views of history and issues likely think Charleston is ultra conservative, because of its slavery and civil war history.

Greenville's not associated strongly with the civil war and slavery era.
Not everyone refuses to join the 21st century in their views on Charleston. The overwhelming reason I read and hear from people moving here is that it’s an amazing, vibrant place. People in the 21st century don’t go around thinking a place is amazing because it used to be a slave trade center.

I just used Meta AI to as if Democrats are moving to South Carolina. Here’s what I got.

An interesting question!

While I don't have access to real-time data on individual political affiliations or migration patterns, I can provide some context and insights.

South Carolina has traditionally been a Republican-leaning state, but there are signs of demographic changes and political shifts. Some factors contributing to this shift include:

1. Urbanization: Cities like Charleston and Greenville are growing, attracting more diverse populations, including young professionals and families who may be more likely to identify as Democrats.
2. In-migration: South Carolina has seen an influx of new residents from other states, particularly from the Northeast and West Coast, who may bring different political perspectives.
3. Growing diversity: South Carolina's population is becoming more diverse, with increasing numbers of African Americans, Latinos, and Asian Americans, who tend to vote Democratic.
4. Political activism: Some Democrats have intentionally relocated to South Carolina to participate in political organizing and activism, aiming to flip the state blue.

While these trends don't necessarily mean a massive influx of Democrats is moving to South Carolina, they do suggest a gradual shift in the state's political landscape. However, it's important to note that South Carolina remains a conservative-leaning state, and local politics are complex and multifaceted.

If you're interested in more specific data or statistics, I can try to help you find reliable sources!

Old 04-20-2024, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
It is hard to imagine the average "liberal" wanting to live in Sumter, Orangeburg, Cayce, North Charleston, etc.

Surprised to see Clemson and Central as most conservative given it is mostly college kids and faculty. AI isn't ready for prime time. It failed political science 101.
Large four-year college students and faculty in a town largely made up of those subsets would naturally tend to be more liberal. Clemson U. has majors besides engineering, and has no religious affiliation.

Old 04-20-2024, 10:37 AM

Understood and agreed. The AI list you posted said Clemson and the Clemson student housing area Central are the two most conservative cities in SC. I had thought maybe it was a mistake.

Perhaps the AI was pulling data from Clemson's military school male only days.

Old 04-20-2024, 02:39 PM

The strange thing is, I saw a list somewhere yesterday or today, when I was asking AI these questions, that did say Clemson is liberal or listed it as so. I thought I was defending that AI opinion. I can’t find it. Maybe a lot of the conservative students stick around longer to put it on the conservative list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina