Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 12:31 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,741,137 times

Advertisements

All I said was that families don’t generally move to Charleston looking for a conservative Christian lifestyle, and I stand by that. It doesn’t mean that I believe Charleston is especially liberal. It just means that I believe those specifically claiming or citing conservative Christian values aren’t the demographic that’s mostly moving here. I have actually seen Greenville spokespeople in articles promoting its conservative family values as a reason it’s growing and as a reason to move there.

The Republican mayor thing is because Cogswell comes across as moderate, as he has repeatedly called himself, throughout his mayoral campaign included, even though Charleston’s mayoral elections are nonpartisan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2024, 12:35 PM

Also, there was the perception of too many Charleston voters that the prior mayor wasn’t doing enough when actually he was performing quite well. It’s hard to follow in Joe Riley’s footsteps because of the public’s perception that he was all that, rightly or wrongly.

Old 01-19-2024, 01:37 PM

5,487 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
All I said was that families don’t generally move to Charleston looking for a conservative Christian lifestyle, and I stand by that. It doesn’t mean that I believe Charleston is especially liberal. It just means that I believe those specifically claiming or citing conservative Christian values aren’t the demographic that’s mostly moving here. I have actually seen Greenville spokespeople in articles promoting its conservative family values as a reason it’s growing and as a reason to move there.

The Republican mayor thing is because Cogswell comes across as moderate, as he has repeatedly called himself, throughout his mayoral campaign included, even though Charleston’s mayoral elections are nonpartisan.
Nah. There is a mixture moving to Greenville. I didn't read that, I live that from a business and personal perspective.

Old 01-19-2024, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Nah. There is a mixture moving to Greenville. I didn't read that, I live that from a business and personal perspective.
I didn’t say there wasn’t a mixture moving to Greenville. But it’s no secret that the SC Upstate is a conservative Republican stronghold. BTW, the mayoral race was very close, and Cogswell won by fewer votes than the number of voters who live in the Berkeley County part of the city.

Old 01-19-2024, 03:35 PM

Cogswell won by 569 votes out of 24,000, and before the Berkeley County votes were counted, Tecklenburg had more.

Old 01-19-2024, 03:45 PM

Funny. I have never, ever (okay, like once) seen anyone ask about churches on Nextdoor, nor invitations to one. And I’m on there many times every day. But I live west of the Cooper and don’t see much from Mount Pleasant, if anything, because it’s outside my greater neighborhood.

There’s debate and a big unanswered question about why Charleston is called the Holy City. Some historians have said it’s because of the city’s history of being a welcoming haven for all religions in its early history. But it certainly wasn’t nicknamed that because of conservative evangelical Christian values that are driving people to move to places where they’ll fit in best (hint: not in Charleston). Maybe Mount Pleasant.

Old 01-19-2024, 07:00 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoResident View Post
We would be moving for work, have the option to stay in Idaho or move to SC. Lifestyle change is another factor. Our goal is to eventually live on a few acres within 30 or so minutes of a city.
If you would like to live on a few acres outside a city, either Idaho or South Carolina would work.

Greenville is definitely conservative. I've driven there a few times within the last few years. Always see a Confederate flag or two.

Old 01-19-2024, 07:04 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoResident View Post
My family is considering moving to South Carolina (specifically Greenville or Charleston areas) from Idaho (Boise/Meridian).

Does anyone have any experience living in both places? If so, which State do you prefer and why?

We are a conservative Christian family.

Idaho has low crime, lots of public land, schools are okay but not great, is facing an infrastructure problems, and conservative.
What infrastructure problems does Idaho face?

Old 01-19-2024, 07:34 PM

240 posts, read 236,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Really dumb way to look at it, but if I'm fishing or telling my kids to go play in a lake I don't want to worry about alligators, Charleston has them.
Nah alligators always factor into my decision. But what put me off on Greenville was something I read about prevalance of roaches

Old 01-19-2024, 07:40 PM

240 posts, read 236,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If you would like to live on a few acres outside a city, either Idaho or South Carolina would work.
Are you factoring in price per acre? I would be shocked to discover land outside Greenville or even Charleston is comparably expensive to land outside of Boise or even Pocatello.

Quote:
What infrastructure problems does Idaho face?
Not OP but this is probably referring to rapid population expansion exceeding the capacity of infrustructure to adapt. My daily commute is trivial so this is not a significant concern for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina