Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:27 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
If your a resturant owner/worker they will come to you in droves and reak havik
The spelling police called and they want you to spell 'wreak havok' correctly next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy 101 View Post
how would you know what we are like why cant you Moderator cut: crude just leave us alone you know nothing about us:ma d:
We know all about you thieving dirty travelers, but at least you haven't graduated to suicide bombings, yet, so we tolerate your roving caravans and piles of rubbish.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-12-2010 at 12:53 PM..

Old 11-05-2009, 07:59 PM

56 posts, read 181,069 times
you stay off the glimmer glam

Old 11-05-2009, 08:11 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
The spelling police called and they want you to spell 'wreak havok' correctly next time.

I think it's " havoc " .

Old 11-09-2009, 02:32 PM

49 posts, read 190,556 times
This sounds fairly accurate for what i have heard and seen of the "Gypsies" in Augusta/aiken, SC. Whatever you do don't let any of them do any construction work for you. They ran a scam in Anderson, SC a few years back where they posed as asphalt contractors. They went door to door at churches and neighborhoods offering to repave peoples lots and driveways at substantially lower prices than the normal. They would actually show up to do the work, but they would pave a parking lot with a very thin layer so it looked nice, but it was by no means the proper depth for a parking lot. The lots and driveways they did work on were breaking up within months....and by that time, they were long gone.

Let them keep to themselves, and tell your husband he is better off not knowing them.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 30,588 times
Please help a mother look for her son that started working with you people (painting company) not sure of name; but last I heard almost 2 yrs ago was he was traveling with the Augusta Gypsies and going up north for paint jobs etc. All I am trying to do is find out if he is ok as I have heard nothing from him and the last I heard he was in Maryland, His name is Jason LaMar Carter and has lived in Ga. most his life BD 4/15/1975 my name is Lynn Glisson and I am in TX please if you know him or where he is; let him know that his mother is very worried about him and his daughter Autumn misses him so much, thank you for any info or help in locating my son.. 469-359-3555 Lynn

Old 11-14-2009, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 19,734 times
There is a community in Edgefield, SC of "Irish Travellers". if I remember correctly, the village is called Murphey's Village. I have passed thru this area on a couple occassions. there some absolutly beautiful homes in the area. I had heard about "the gypsies" a few times before I actually saw them first hand. I was at the movie theater one nite when I had my first sighting of a groups of young women. I noticed a very pretty young girl and thought it strange that she had a very elaborate hairstyle for a simple evening at the movie theater. then I noticed another young girl with quite elaborate hair. I looked around the lobby and saw quite a few more young girls with similar hairstyles, makeup and clothing styles. if I remember correcly, I elbowed my husband so hard that he actually coughed. he had told me about this interesting group a few years prior to my moving to Augusta, ga.

I must admit that I was taken aback at first. I was a little uneasy because I had "been warned" about these "gypsies". I acually spent a couple of weeks reearching the group on the Internet. I learned very little. and I got frustrated with the lack of information.

for some reason, I decided to look for more info tonite. I am excited to see a few bits of info surfacing. I am still quite intrigued by the residents if the village.

but I will say this.... if you people are going to be judging of before you know any details of this group, you will get nowhere in your quest for info. don't be so quick to judge, people. there is good and bad in all of us. every culture has their good and bad... and if you don't listen with an open heart and an open mind then that leaves ONE conclusion about you... closed-mindedness.

can you really blame this group of people for their secluded lifestyle? I don't blame them at all. I wouldn't trust so easily either if I were constantly looked at as if I were going todo something shady.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:27 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy-901 View Post
This sounds fairly accurate for what i have heard and seen of the "Gypsies" in Augusta/aiken, SC. Whatever you do don't let any of them do any construction work for you. They ran a scam in Anderson, SC a few years back where they posed as asphalt contractors. They went door to door at churches and neighborhoods offering to repave peoples lots and driveways at substantially lower prices than the normal. They would actually show up to do the work, but they would pave a parking lot with a very thin layer so it looked nice, but it was by no means the proper depth for a parking lot. The lots and driveways they did work on were breaking up within months....and by that time, they were long gone.

Let them keep to themselves, and tell your husband he is better off not knowing them.

BTW, they ran this same scam in Sumter.

I like how you have people who show up randomly, with just 1 post to their name, and tell us all that these are really good people and we should mind our own business. You know, like these folks are just misunderstood, or something. I was minding my own business, when one of them cracked me in the face with a beer bottle when I was a teenager.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:59 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
It was a group like this who came through James Island and West Ashley 10 - 12 years ago roofing houses and paving driveways. No one's work was finished or done correctly, but they basically started the work then took the money and left town. They were tracked down to the Edgefield area.....

Old 01-07-2010, 05:08 PM

613 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Yeah, the "Irish Travellers" who live between North Augusta and Edgefield are thieves and pickpockets. AND they believe they are entitled to steal. They're also dangerously inbred, and sometimes try to bribe men outside their clan to marry one of their little girls.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:30 PM

61 posts, read 200,626 times
In the UK, Irish travellers are called 'Pikeys' in England and 'Tinks' or tinklers in Scotland. I don't know much about them in US, but back in the UK they mostly keep themselves to themselves. You will get the odd bunch who will take the shirt of your back.

Some used to wrap on my door, trying to sell goods eg- carpets, paintings, electronics (stayed clear of them as they were probably fallen of a back of a lorry)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina