Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,653,782 times

Advertisements

What attributes makes you call South Carolina home.
What do you hope people from other states to perceive
from out of South Carolinia?
What attracts you to visit South Carolina.

Do you feel there is a cultural difference per city and what are they?

Thanks

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-29-2010 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 09:52 PM

66 posts, read 197,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
What attributes makes you call South Carolina home.
Moderate weather, low cost of living, low population density, friendliness of people, rural lifestyle
What do you hope people from other states to perceive
out of South Carolinias? Friendly honest folks, relatively safe communities, respect for history and historic places/things, beautiful countryside, waterfronts
What attracts you to visit South Carolina.
On my first visit here, I stayed.

Do you feel there is a cultural difference per city and what are they?
We don't exactly have any large cities. Columbia and Charleston are the largest population centers, unless you count the South Carolinians who work around Charlotte NC but live in SC. Charleston is smaller than Columbia, perhaps more town than city. Columbia has a little more bustle, Charleston a little more laid back

Thanks

These are just the observations of a transplant...who feels like I found heaven when I found rural SC. I would have chosen PA but for the weather...

Old 01-29-2010, 12:29 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,943,721 times
The people.
People in South Carolina Work to live.
They don't Live to work.
It's a beautiful thing.......

Old 01-29-2010, 12:56 PM

77 posts, read 49,739 times
The fog rolling down the mountains in the upstate creating a sense of peace and wonderment, the sun setting over the ocean when you are caught between the night and day and everything just seems to stop and take a breath. Fishing on the river where it is so quiet you can hear yourself breathe. The children squealing with delight at a county fair in the fall. Stopping at the hardware store and shooting the breeze with the old timers because someday I may sit on the same bench when I get old. Knowing my neighbor, laughing because my kids are playing with the kids of people I went to school with. Taking my kids to the same swimming hole that I went to,my parents went to and even my grandparents went to. And last but not least, the smell of fried chicken at moms house on Sunday.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:19 PM

369 posts, read 1,097,881 times
do you mean, the sun rising, not setting, over the ocean ?

I'd say the people... the "southern hospitality" is in full swing... the beach, the culture... i think that might be found in other parts of the south in general though...

Old 01-29-2010, 07:00 PM

77 posts, read 49,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
do you mean, the sun rising, not setting, over the ocean ?

I'd say the people... the "southern hospitality" is in full swing... the beach, the culture... i think that might be found in other parts of the south in general though...
No I mean setting, sometimes it will turn the marshes bright red and streak the clouds,it's very nice

Old 01-29-2010, 08:07 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,883,871 times
You know that a place is home when your heart skips a beat when you are getting close. I remember having to work out West for long stretches and the feeling of flying back into GSP, over the green trees and the Carolina landscape. I discovered that I felt a surge of happiness when I realized I was back home. Yes, we have a beautiful coastline and the rolling foothills leading to the majestic blue ridge mountains. There is abundant wildlife, lakes and natural wilderness, even with BEARS! For me, South Carolina is something of a wild frontier, yet to be fully discovered and yet to be fully tamed........ Folks in other parts of the country think that we natives are backwards, illiterate and uncultured. Of course, that is a generalization SO PLEASE DONT WRITE ME but overall that's what a lot of other folks expect to find here. But that's ok for we know that we are independent, not inbred. We are courageous, and not simply when it is convenient. We may prefer fishing on the Broad river over Broadway but that is reflective of our culture... a culture of self sufficiency, adaptability and an unshakable connection to the land and nature. Our people fish, farm and hunt. We sing in church on Sundays and we cook enough food to feed an army of family, friends or strangers, if need be. If one of yours dies, we'll bring food and pay our respects. If you insult our country or our soldiers, we'll set you straight immediately and we don't give a damn about political correctness. You ask what SC means...... it's all of those things.... but most of all it means that after all the time I spent searching for my destiny, I discovered I was born into it right here at home.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:13 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,589,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute atheist View Post
The fog rolling down the mountains in the upstate creating a sense of peace and wonderment, the sun setting over the ocean when you are caught between the night and day and everything just seems to stop and take a breath. Fishing on the river where it is so quiet you can hear yourself breathe. The children squealing with delight at a county fair in the fall. Stopping at the hardware store and shooting the breeze with the old timers because someday I may sit on the same bench when I get old. Knowing my neighbor, laughing because my kids are playing with the kids of people I went to school with. Taking my kids to the same swimming hole that I went to,my parents went to and even my grandparents went to. And last but not least, the smell of fried chicken at moms house on Sunday.
OK, now I'm in tears. You should write a song!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:18 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,903,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
I remember having to work out West for long stretches and the feeling of flying back into GSP, over the green trees and the Carolina landscape. I discovered that I felt a surge of happiness when I realized I was back home.
I really connect with this quote as I travel weekly with my job. Having lived in many different cities and being ambivalent about my returns home to those cities, Greenville is the first place I've found that I get that surge of joy, peace, happiness. As my plane lands late afternoon, I always get a bit excited, and then as I step out the terminal doors and see the huge trees, smell the evening air, feel the evening coolness (even in summer), and hear that roaring fountain, I know I'm home. Home in a place that, for the first time, positively changes my attitude. A bad day, or long work week gives way to happiness. I absolutely love this place.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:29 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,883,871 times
Yeah, exactly. The feeling of "being home" is comforting, peaceful and joyful....just like you said. Different folks need differen things in order to feel like a place is home. This place isn't for everyone and that's ok, 'cause it would be WAAYYYY too crowded if everyone loved it here. But for those of us who call this area home in our hearts, I think we must share similar spirits. OK....'nuff of my hippie lovefest writing. I can hear G-man and the others groaning We should have a City-Data Greenville coffee club meeting one day, though. It would be nice to meet the regulars face-to-face......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina