Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 03:50 PM

7 posts, read 33,496 times

Advertisements

My mom and I (61 and 40 respectively) are considering a move from Portland, Maine (recently from Hawaii though) to either Charleston, SC or have also started researching Chesapeake, VA. We are both originally from Florida and are not especially ecstatic about moving back south due to humidity, hurricanes, and bugs (I know, we are girly-girls). However, New England is a bit pricier than we would like right now and jobs are pretty tight (though I know that's probably the case everywhere). I am a teacher and she is in retail management. Though we have never been to Chesapeake or Charleston we have been enamored (from afar) with Charleston due to the history, architecture, things to do, etc. Just recently started looking into Chesapeake area. Can anyone offer a comparison? We love eating out, shopping, outdoor activities, and mini road trips. I will admit we are also somewhat picky and do put a lot of stock in safety, overall "prettiness," and amenities. Thoughts? We are open to other areas as well....
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 10:31 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,436,416 times
I currently live in Charleston/Mount Pleasant and love it. Mount Pleasant is my town.. shopping restaurants, beaches, historic down town all close by. I lived in Williamsburg, Va it was nice but you have to drive a long way to everything along way for good shopping. I didn't care for the cold weather either.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:48 PM

7 posts, read 33,496 times
thanks for the insight! we are definitely leaning towards the mt pleasant area as it seems to have a lot of amenities but also heard that it was getting pretty "strip-mally"- can you comment? any ideas on nicer apartments in the area as well? we were looking at edgewater and runaway bay. also at heron reserve in w. ashley but comments on the traffic kind of scared us away from that area. do you have any thoughts on elemenary teaching in the area? i'm looking in charleston and dorchester 2 districts....also, it sounds like you are a realtor?? we would be looking to buy within 6 mos-1 year. do you have an email where we could converse privately?
thanks!!

Old 02-28-2010, 02:35 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,436,416 times
I have never rented here. But I understand Edgewater is very nice. I don't feel the area is "strip mally" at all. They are doing very well at making everything cosmetically nice. Kinda hidden behind landscaping.

As far as teaching I would contact the schools. I have children in Mount Pleasant (charleston county)area schools and love my experiences.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:07 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,670,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr018 View Post
Charleston, SC or Chesapeake, VA.

Can anyone offer a comparison?
No comparison, IMO.

I wonder if you are actually thinking of Va. Beach rather than Chesapeake.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:46 PM

255 posts, read 611,081 times
If I were you, I would not consider South Carolina because there has been a huge cut within the state budget that could adversely affect teachers from keeping their jobs or potential teachers to earn a job. As an educator, it seems to me that Chesapeake, VA has a lot more to offer than your choice Charleston because the schools in Charleston from what I heard from recent newspapers where teachers have to take 5 furlough days (unpaid) leave while the administration has to take 10 furlough days.

FYI.... during this time of year competition is very fierce in Charleston and it is more with "who you know" instead of "what you know."

Last edited by augusto29556; 06-08-2010 at 03:00 PM..

Old 06-08-2010, 02:59 PM

255 posts, read 611,081 times
I also would like to mention that at the same time it also depend on what type of teacher you are. If you are early childhood or elementary, good luck, but if you are a high school teacher the districts will be on you like white is on rice! (Yes I said it and I sure do have a little country in me living in rural area soooooooo long)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina