Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:39 PM

15 posts, read 38,838 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I am so excited to be visiting and possibly moving to your great state. I had a phone interview for a job with the state, and they would like me to come for a second interview. I would be living and working in Pierre. I am interested in moving to SD from Florida for many reasons.
I have some apartments that I found on the city's website that I will be looking at in case I do get the job. I look forward to visiting and possibly becoming a South Dakota resident.
Is there any areas of Pierre to avoid or any apartments to avoid?
Also any other advice that anyone would like to give, I would love to hear.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 07:57 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
There is no real bad part of town. It is rather small only about 14,000 people. It is small in the middle of BFE. It is a 3 hour drive to any decent sized city. By decent sized I am talking 50,000 or more people. It cost more to live there. There is a fair amount of politics.

It is family friendly, the people are decent. The small size makes it nice for getting from point a to point b.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Watch for the train tracks when choosing a place to live in Pierre & Ft. Pierre. You are in for quite a change from Floridia expecially winter!

Old 09-25-2010, 05:12 PM

For 9 of the 11 years I lived in Pierre I was 3 blocks or less from the track. I kinda enjoyed the sound of the locomotives working away. At night it was rather soothing to me. But I think diesel runs through my blood.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the advice! I am so excited to come see the city. South Dakota looks absolutely beautiful from the many pictures I have seen, and I am praying I get this job.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:05 AM

I just moved away after 11 years. Frankly I was glad I left. Most reasons were personal. I'd move back for more money.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:32 AM

50 posts, read 104,131 times
Congrats. I think I actually applied for that same job! I wish you the best. You will love the people up here. Everyone is genuinely very friendly and willing to offer any help. The winters in Pierre will be a drastic change for you. IT gets mighty cold over that way. But you will learn to endure just like everyone else that lives there. Good luck! Make sure to come over to Rapid city and the Black Hills for a visit. It is the most beautiful area in the world IMO.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:25 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,728 times
Pierre is generally a clean and safe city. I have lived there for a year but will note that it may be challenging to find a suitable place to rent. I suggest renting for awhile before buying a place there.

It has the basics such as a Wal-Mart Supercenter, K-Mart, JC Penney's, a couple of grocery stores, fast food places, and a number of locally-owned restaurants and businesses. I recommend trying some of the local ones.

If you like steak, Chinese, or Mexican, Pierre has some good restaurants. There is a great steakhouse to the east of Pierre worth trying and I liked the Chinese restaurant that was downtown.

For a city of its size, Pierre has a good park system. If you like the outdoors and willing to handle driving 3 hrs to either to SF or Rapid for additional shopping occasionally, Pierre would be a good fit.

Pierre has plenty of good people in it but has some clicky people. Like everywhere else, it has its good point points and bad points. Overall, it is a place worth trying.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
Pierre is generally a clean and safe city. I have lived there for a year but will note that it may be challenging to find a suitable place to rent. I suggest renting for awhile before buying a place there.

It has the basics such as a Wal-Mart Supercenter, K-Mart, JC Penney's, a couple of grocery stores, fast food places, and a number of locally-owned restaurants and businesses. I recommend trying some of the local ones.

If you like steak, Chinese, or Mexican, Pierre has some good restaurants. There is a great steakhouse to the east of Pierre worth trying and I liked the Chinese restaurant that was downtown.

For a city of its size, Pierre has a good park system. If you like the outdoors and willing to handle driving 3 hrs to either to SF or Rapid for additional shopping occasionally, Pierre would be a good fit.

Pierre has plenty of good people in it but has some clicky people. Like everywhere else, it has its good point points and bad points. Overall, it is a place worth trying.
Dakotamart! Love that place. I'd never seen a combination sporting good/clothing store with a grocery store/pharmacy outside of the typical Wal-Mart.

Yes, Cattleman's is THE place to go for a great steak. I like it better than Bob's up N. of town; Cattleman's has better cuts of meat. Though, Pierre seems to be lacking a really good BBQ place. There's the one fishing resort in Sully Co. to get ribs but that's about all I've found for BBQ. Perkins was a good addition to Ft. Pierre. Runnings is a fun place to shop too. Quality rentals could be challenging indeed.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:01 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I got the job and am looking forward to becoming a resident of your beautiful state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota