Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:17 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,564,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottoms View Post
Sioux Falls is an expensive place to live, and so is Pierre SD. I lived in both places, rents are high and so are the cost of groceries, and the price of gas. Really, if people would just realize it's expensive to live anywhere these days unless you live in a dinky village in the middle of nowhere where there's no economic infrastructure.
I wasn't asserting that SD is a backward place to live nor was I implying the single mom would need state help. With three kids to feed and a vet tech degree, she would probably have to work two jobs to make ends meet b/c of the fact that wages are low and there is no spouse to bring in a second income.
Wages for vet techs are low in a lot of places. It's not unique to SD. I would love to be a tech but the cost of schooling plus the huge pay cut I would have to take (where I currently live, where wages in general are higher than SD) doesn't make financial sense for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 09:03 AM

68 posts, read 135,412 times
Quote:
With three kids to feed and a vet tech degree, she would probably have to work two jobs to make ends meet b/c of the fact that wages are low and there is no spouse to bring in a second income.
My husband is unemployed and I support two kids as well. The cost of living is lower for most things compared to Texas and many other states. If you are person who knows how to live on a budget and do not frivolous, I do not believe you would need to work two jobs. If you are making it on one income now in Texas, you would definitely be able to make it on one income here.

We live in Box Elder, just outside of Rapid City. The school district here is amazing, mostly because of the military connections. Ellsworth Air Force Base is here. I lived in Grand Prairie TX till 2001, then Tampa till 2005, Wisconsin till 1-1-11 and now we have been here for about 6 weeks. It helps to be educated in a professional field with experience for sure.

I think you will be just fine. One of the things I enjoy the most is the amazing views. I don't think I will ever get tired of my 20 minute drive to work.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:22 AM

34 posts, read 62,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiller03 View Post
My husband is unemployed and I support two kids as well. The cost of living is lower for most things compared to Texas and many other states. If you are person who knows how to live on a budget and do not frivolous, I do not believe you would need to work two jobs. If you are making it on one income now in Texas, you would definitely be able to make it on one income here.

We live in Box Elder, just outside of Rapid City. The school district here is amazing, mostly because of the military connections. Ellsworth Air Force Base is here. I lived in Grand Prairie TX till 2001, then Tampa till 2005, Wisconsin till 1-1-11 and now we have been here for about 6 weeks. It helps to be educated in a professional field with experience for sure.

I think you will be just fine. One of the things I enjoy the most is the amazing views. I don't think I will ever get tired of my 20 minute drive to work.
ammiller, could you go into detail and mind telling which areas in the cost of living are lower in SD than other states? Just curious, b/c really, aside from the coasts, the cost of living is very comparable in each state. I live in a city the size of Sioux Falls, in MN, and the rents are exactly the same, gas and cost of groceries are the same also.
When people say cost of living is less expensive, I want details, not generalizations.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:39 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,095,058 times
Estimated median house or condo value in 2009:
Miller: $85,536
South Dakota: $126,200

Belle Fourche: $89,511

Redfield: $61,267

Winner: $70,818

That's just a few places. The places I listed above have "Good" vet pratices going and service large areas. There is fairly good shopping available in those towns also.

I only listed the cost of housing as that is the major expense anywhere you go. Grocery's, gas, etc is going to be about the same anywhere you go.

So there are plenty of places in South Dakota that the cost of living is considerably less then the rest of the country.

To generalize and say that South Dakota is expensive to live is not entirely correct. Sioux Falls, Brookings, Aberdeen, and of course, the Black Hills, are going to be expensive as that is where "work" is. But a Vet Tech isn't looking for the concrete jungle, a Home Depot, Lowes, 5000 jewelry stores and such. They are looking for a good solid pratice that services a large number of clients. You won't find very many cattle, horses, etc... in Sioux Falls.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:45 AM

South Dakota Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in South Dakota

South Dakota Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in South Dakota

Gas prices are equal in the towns of Sioux Fall SD and Rochester MN.
It was more expensive in Aberdeen SD and Pierre SD, than Sioux Falls or Rochester MN.
Surprisingly, the price of gas was less expensive at 2.87/gal in Rapid City
Most surprising of all was that gas prices were 3.27/gallon in NYC, the same as the towns of Watertown, Pierre and Aberdeen, SD!! Very Surprising!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,821,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Miller: $85,536

Belle Fourche: $89,511

Redfield: $61,267

Winner: $70,818

That's just a few places. The places I listed above have "Good" vet pratices going and service large areas. There is fairly good shopping available in those towns also.

I only listed the cost of housing as that is the major expense anywhere you go. Grocery's, gas, etc is going to be about the same anywhere you go.

So there are plenty of places in South Dakota that the cost of living is considerably less then the rest of the country.

To generalize and say that South Dakota is expensive to live is not entirely correct. Sioux Falls, Brookings, Aberdeen, and of course, the Black Hills, are going to be expensive as that is where "work" is. But a Vet Tech isn't looking for the concrete jungle, a Home Depot, Lowes, 5000 jewelry stores and such. They are looking for a good solid pratice that services a large number of clients. You won't find very many cattle, horses, etc... in Sioux Falls.
The main reasons I suggested Belle and Sturgis. I my thinking being Large animal. There is a good large/small animal clinic in Sturgis that gets into some of the surgeries and orthopedic end of the practice.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:01 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,095,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
The main reasons I suggested Belle and Sturgis. I my thinking being Large animal. There is a good large/small animal clinic in Sturgis that gets into some of the surgeries and orthopedic end of the practice.
You are correct, there are some outstanding clinics in the Black Hills. Even some "high dollar" clinics for horses only. But I was strictly looking at cost of living being low in areas that cover very large areas.

Where I live, we have 5 or 6 vet's. A couple of them handle small pets only. 1 handles horses mainly. The other two will take care of critters in house, or head for your place. It's those two clinics that make the big bucks. Of course, if you think about it, if your puppy is sick you pick it up and head for the vet. But if your 2300 lb bull is sick, you can't throw him on your lap and head for town.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:07 PM

They place we use handles both.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:44 PM

In all due respect, Elk Hunter, who would really want to live in Redfield or Winner SD? Let's be realistic, would there really be vet tech openings in those places? I've lived in dinky towns and people keep the job they find until retirement. I'm sure they're nice places to live. One would really need to find rural living enjoyable b/c they are really in the middle of nowhere.
Now before you delete my message, there is no pun intended here. I am simply being realistic.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
In all due respect, Elk Hunter, who would really want to live in Redfield or Winner SD? Let's be realistic, would there really be vet tech openings in those places? I've lived in dinky towns and people keep the job they find until retirement. I'm sure they're nice places to live. One would really need to find rural living enjoyable b/c they are really in the middle of nowhere.
Now before you delete my message, there is no pun intended here. I am simply being realistic.
That is for the OP to decide. Because it is not for you, doesn't mean everyone else has the same philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota