Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:34 AM

21 posts, read 83,568 times

Advertisements

Maybe you should try to contact the SDHP

I filled out he SDHP comment form a few days ago and clicked "reply required." Told em I appreciate how tough LA work can be/don't appreciate the shakedown.

Hey, if you'd been drinking CHOCOLATE MILK (wince....), you would have been sent to Sherrif Joe in Phoenix

Don't be telling me that.. my wife is in Mesa at this very moment shopping for our future winter home. But for now I'm safe: the only "bears" up here at our remote WA mountain cabin have teeth and claws, not handcuffs. I stay up here in winter to keep the road open... get about 12' of snow each season. We've got a mile-long easement across nat'l forest that I plow with a Grizzly 660. By late Dec. the winter wonderland aspect kind of loses its charm, so Mesa sounds good... provided I don't end up in pink tighties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 08:49 AM

28 posts, read 72,803 times
Default I'll bet you're stunning in pink!

Don't be telling me that.. my wife is in Mesa at this very moment shopping for our future winter home. But for now I'm safe: the only "bears" up here at our remote WA mountain cabin have teeth and claws, not handcuffs. I stay up here in winter to keep the road open... get about 12' of snow each season. We've got a mile-long easement across nat'l forest that I plow with a Grizzly 660. By late Dec. the winter wonderland aspect kind of loses its charm, so Mesa sounds good... provided I don't end up in pink tighties.[/quote]

Hey, just watch yourself pal....keep away from the milk....especially chocolate!
Seriously, Mesa as well most of Arizona is THE perfect place to live. I've lived in Aberdeen South Dakota as well as Arizona, so I feel for you....brrrrrr!
You can't beat the weather here. You are NOT making a mistake moving here. I wouldn't recommend you raise a family in some areas, but for a single couple it's great. Do plenty of homework if you have kids though, the schools are tough in some places and it all starts there...first it's milk, then it's chocolate milk, and before you know it, their hooked on (dare I say it?)...............BUTTERMILK!...eeeekkk

Old 11-11-2007, 08:59 AM

Mesa as well most of Arizona is THE perfect place to live.

My inlaws have lived there for quite awhile so we are familiar with the area. I like AZ. I like our mountain place, too. I'd post a photo if I knew how. We are in the middle of forest with no neighbors and a few miles east of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. Sometimes I'll get up in the morning to find the house surrounded by elk - counted 3 dozen one morning, right up to the house.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:59 AM

apparently it is costing South Dakota a lot of visitors and a lot of MONEY!

I don't know about a "lot" of money ... but here's something I haven't previously mentioned. As I was being released the trooper said "Thanks for your cooperation, have a nice day." I was so steamed all I could do was shoot him a sidewards glance - the universal glare that says "Did you just tell me to have a nice day???' I got on the road and called my wife, who had stayed in Seattle, and asked her to cancel my Sioux Falls stay and find a motel for me in Sioux City instead. I cut over over to I-29 just before SF. Between the two planned stays (SF out and Sturgis back) I probably would have spent $300 max for food/lodging/gas.

At sunset I was tailed and my plates were run by another trooper 15 miles north of the Iowa line. He didn't pull me over because I was "already in the system" but it pretty much solidified my decision to return via I-80. I'd not been pulled over ever and I've been driving since 1970; suddenly I'd been scrutinized twice within 6 hours. It had to be the WA state plates.

There is a bright side for the proprietor of the Sturgis motel I canceled ... on the return trip I learned the dog wasn't house broken.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:22 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmandeux View Post
apparently it is costing South Dakota a lot of visitors and a lot of MONEY!

I got on the road and called my wife, who had stayed in Seattle, and asked her to cancel my Sioux Falls stay and find a motel for me in Sioux City instead.

...solidified my decision to return via I-80.
That's too bad that due to a few "power-hungry" cops, the whole state has to suffer. South Dakota businesses work very hard to attract visitors and try to give a feeling of warmth and hospitality. It is very upsetting to hear that people from other states are avoiding South Dakota entirely and refusing to do business here because of harassment.

I will also be in contact with the SDHP to express my concern. Thank you so much for posting this thread! And please come back to see us sometime... maybe with different license plates though!

Old 11-11-2007, 02:45 PM

That's too bad that due to a few "power-hungry" cops

The allure of the big drug bust is twofold: a desire to take dangerous junk like meth off the streets combined with the prospect of seizing ill-gotten gains that may be worth a ton of money, or seizing cash money. I've read that the trooper who stopped me netted almost $100K in cash that was stowed inside the spare tire of a Suburban he pulled over near Ellsworth AFB. The driver and passenger said they had "no idea" ... yeah, right... how the loot got there. The pair signed over the cash and vehicle to SDHP and were ... released! (Fox News). Under a 1984 federal law law enforcement gets to keep what it seizes.

We had a case in WA last year where a retired border guard found $500K in a bag in the woods, and the incident pit WA state's "found property" law against the federal ill-gotten gains law. The county filed a suit called "Okanogan Co. v $500,000" so that it could keep the money as provided by federal law. The county lost and threatened to file an appeal but ultimately allowed the guy to have the money.

I'm certain that the trooper could tell I wasn't a "druggie." He was just on a fishing expedition hoping to find something. He did find my .45 Para-Ordinance, unloaded in the locked trunk, sans magazine and inside my suitcase. Of course I told him it was there before he searched the car. He ran a crime gun trace which caused me to do a slow burn. I'd shown him my concealed carry permit (not needed to transport an unloaded secured pistol). The license was renewed 4 weeks earlier indicating that I'd just successfully passed a WA State Patrol criminal background check for the umpteenth time.

Maybe he thought I had taken up a life of crime in the 4 weeks since the permit was reissued.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmandeux View Post
I've read that the trooper who stopped me netted almost $100K in cash that was stowed inside the spare tire of a Suburban he pulled over near Ellsworth AFB. The driver and passenger said they had "no idea" ... yeah, right... how the loot got there. The pair signed over the cash and vehicle to SDHP and were ... released! (Fox News). .
I have heard about that too! I guess it is a worse punishment for them to show up at their destination empty handed than be incarcerated.

I imagine they did not complete their journey! Could you possibly DM me the name of the officer that pulled you over? One of my coworkers has a dad who is a Sheriff and I want to ask him what this officer is like. I'd ask you to tell me on a post, but we don't want his name to be mud!

Old 11-11-2007, 06:27 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Danny, that'd be great if you could get the word to the right people that a few may be a bit over-zealous. We definitely want them to catch the REAL drug traffickers, but who wants innocent out of staters to be tormented??? Makes me remember old tv shows where people had to be scared to pass through southern states cause they'd be nabbed.

YeahRight~that's interesting that you're familiar with Aberdeen and now love the Mesa area. I need WARMTH and I'm still searching. We've never been to the desert and had contemplated it about a month ago, but went eastward instead. Should've checked out the desert.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Danny, that'd be great if you could get the word to the right people that a few may be a bit over-zealous. We definitely want them to catch the REAL drug traffickers, but who wants innocent out of staters to be tormented??? Makes me remember old tv shows where people had to be scared to pass through southern states cause they'd be nabbed.

YeahRight~that's interesting that you're familiar with Aberdeen and now love the Mesa area. I need WARMTH and I'm still searching. We've never been to the desert and had contemplated it about a month ago, but went eastward instead. Should've checked out the desert.
Jammie- Have you ever considered Southern Colorado? As you know, my mother has neurological problems too and when we visited the area she fell in love. It has a great climate and it is not desert per se. Just a great, warm place with warm people and not too far from friends and family in the Dakotas! Check it out!

Old 11-11-2007, 07:18 PM

56 posts, read 267,858 times
Default Got Milk?

This thread is humorous.

I live 100 miles from infamous border. Be very very happy your troopers are aggressive. An over-zealous state trooper - WOOHOOO we could use a few down here in the war zone.

I'd rather be pulled over and inconvenienced for a milk violation than live with the doo doo in the Tucson corridor. Dang!! SD is looking better all the time!!

Feel safe!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota