Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:33 AM

31 posts, read 109,230 times

Advertisements

Yes to being potable. The town of Newcastle as well as Custer has watering points. I think back then it was about $2 to fill a 250 Gallon tank in Custer and about .50 in Newcastle. I still ended up drinking bottled water. I had a 1000 gallon cistern in the basement of the house I was in, I would periodically add a cap or two of Clorox to my refill tank to help negate the funky smell that would sometimes occur. (The water was filtered within the house as well.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 06:10 PM

62 posts, read 200,921 times
Default Custer Highlands

Thank you, Kevin.
Your experience and recollections of being in Custer Highlands were invaluable. I really do appreciate your posts, as well as all of the other responses that have been posted.
Our plans are to live there primarily in the late spring to early fall months. Maybe June through September. We would like to build large garage or house/RV combo so that when we come up, we could bring our 37' diesel pusher and live in it while we are there. We have lived in it for as long as 1 1/2 years. We have lived in it for 2-4 months at a time many times. We planned on getting a water tank to fill while we were there anyway so the well situation won't affect us. Also, hopefully the roads will be driveable in the summer months. Do you have any insight into that? As far as the local neighbors, I am hoping that the lawbreakers are few and far between. We will kind of get the feel of it this next summer when we come up. I am looking forward to seeing the Elk mountain range from our property. We are right on the west edge of Custer Highlands on Blacktail Ct. So we look right out over the valley towards Elk mountain. Our property drops off into the valley.
Thanks so much again. Your perspective and knowledge of the area has been most helpful. I look forward to coming to South Dakota in 2009 and spending some time communing with nature and the wildlife.

Les

Old 10-16-2008, 07:53 AM

Default Custer Highlands

Kevin,
I was wondering what your lot number was when you lived in Custer Highlands? We own lot #58 on Blacktail Ct. I believe there is a gentleman that owns a house next door to our 5 acres (lot #57) who has a home on it. He is just south of our acreage. We have a ridge that runs along the south edge of our property that goes to the edge of the hill that overlooks Elk Mountain. I don't know if you had ever been down Blacktail Ct to that area of the subdivision.
I would love to communicate more with you. If you feel so inclined you can write me at my two email addresses:

les.nuckles@sce.com
erosinspirit@hotmail.com

I hope to hear from you. Take care.

Les

Old 10-20-2008, 09:52 PM

Sorry for the delayed response. How do you get to your lot? Do you come in from 16 ro from Dewey Road past the school house? I came in from 16 and during the summer time it was generally passable, though a good gully washer would create ruts and make the road more difficult to traverse.

I don't recall my lot number but it was on the east side of the development backed up to forest service. It was the eastern most house on Antelope Road.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:51 AM

Default Custer Highlands

OK, I know from the map of the subdivision about where you are at. Did you sell your property or do you still own it and visit in the summer? Where do you live now?
Newcastle, I guess, is a little bigger town than Custer. I suppose we would do most of our shopping there.
I am looking forward to our visit this coming summer.
Les

Old 10-24-2008, 06:52 AM

I am thinking that we will be coming in off the 16 using Dewey rd. That is what the previous owner talked about. Is that road decent enough for a 37' motor home during the summer months?
Les

Old 10-29-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_gjax View Post
Sorry for the delayed response. How do you get to your lot? Do you come in from 16 ro from Dewey Road past the school house? I came in from 16 and during the summer time it was generally passable, though a good gully washer would create ruts and make the road more difficult to traverse.

I don't recall my lot number but it was on the east side of the development backed up to forest service. It was the eastern most house on Antelope Road.

Kevin, I was wondering if you had your address from up on Antlope Rd. I was looking at some houses on line. Did you know any of your neighbors up there at the time? I would like to talk to someone who lives up there if I could find out their name and phone number. Trying to do as much research as I can before I go up there this summer.
Les

Old 11-11-2008, 09:53 AM

Default Address

It was 2115 Antelope Rd and I am sorry to say that I can not point you towards any contacts, didn't really socialize within the development.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_gjax View Post
It was 2115 Antelope Rd and I am sorry to say that I can not point you towards any contacts, didn't really socialize within the development.
Thanks for the info. I am still looking forward to visiting up there in the summer months. I hope to make it up this year.
Les

Old 05-06-2010, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,252 times
the wrangler cafe is the best in custer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota