Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 09:21 PM

3 posts, read 8,870 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be moving Hot Springs, SD for a job with the VA. We have lived all around but we have never been to the Dakotas. I would like to hear the good, the bad, and all in between. We want to homestead (off grid hopefully), we home school and eat all organically. Will we survive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 07:18 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,811 times
Your post raises more questions than I am able to answer. My first problem is that if your husband is going to work for the VA, why do you think you want to homestead and live off the grid? It appears to be two totally different lifestyles to me.
My 2nd problem is the thought of attempting to homestead in a semi-arid region of the globe. If you are planning on growing your own food and living off the land you may want to consider the generations of homesteaders who tried in the past and failed. The land around Hot Springs is grazing and lumber land. There is also some mining. There are very few, if any farms. The Lakota had a lifestyle that was best suited to this part of the country and they were nomads. BTW, the herds of free wandering Buffalo are gone. They exist only in parks and movies. I have a garden in my back yard, but I couldn't feed the birds from what it produces. In short, I think the idea of homesteading in or around Fall River County or anywhere west of the Missouri River is extremely misguided and no, I don't think you will survive. I think a homestead would be a money and energy pit that would suck you dry.
The idea of moving here and working for the VA is, I think, solid. We have a great community to raise children in. The taxes are moderate. The people are friendly. Crime is minimal. There are plenty of interesting things to do. The climate is agreeable to me, but if you do not like hot and dry, you may not like that part. Wages are generally low here, but your husbands job at the VA will probably pay well.

uh

Last edited by uncleharley; 09-22-2014 at 07:46 AM..

Old 09-22-2014, 11:17 AM

41 posts, read 77,030 times
what does 'living off the grid" mean to you? What do you mean by homesteading? more understanding of what you are looking for would be helpful.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:53 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,710 times
Couldn't agree with UH more...homesteading in this area is brutal. If you are thinking of it saving you money, then no, definitely not. The amount of money it would take to build a successful homestead operation is in extreme disproportion to what you can be expected to produce. We have an EXTREMELY short growing season - most tomatoes won't ripen on the vine here. Low rainfall, hard soil, and every kind of critter imaginable trying to eat your harvest. We can grow great cattle here, but that's about it.

Plus, you are aware that there has been an ongoing battle to close this VA? So far, they have not been successful, but the battle is still going on.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 8,870 times
Thanks for the information. Off the grid to me is having solar panels, grey water system and not having too many, if any utility bills. I would like to have green house and be able to grow most of our food, have a milking cow and beef cow, chickens and maybe a few pigs. I am guessing, it may not be possible to have a garden or produce our vegetable and fruits. I make most of stuff now, we have a small garden, but it does not produce year round or enough for a family of four. I do order in bulk and can, dehydrate as well as make nearly everything from scratch, such as breads and such. We love wild game, but in this area we do not have easy access to hunting. I not at all familiar with the area and I am thankful for all your information. I have found that the laws are generally awesome, as far as raw milk, homeschooling, guns and hunting, is there anything that I should be informed on? Like I said, we eat organic food, we do not want to have any GMOs in our food. It seems like since their so not any farmland, I will not have to worry about it in the area. I have read about the VA, we most likely would not buy a house for awhile (we have a house already, which we will rent out). Which brings me to my next question, how is rental houses in the area? We have two lab that are 5 years old and two children, what are the chances of finding a house that will accommodate us with the dogs? Again, Thank you so much for all of the info! I really appreciate it!!

Old 09-24-2014, 02:12 PM

41 posts, read 77,030 times
not familiar with much in line of rentals here -- most appear either to be apartments or fairly run down. Certainly would not have solar or grey water systems. From past experience the dogs will probably not be appreciated by the owners. They do not allow a chicken coop in the city here. Our fruit trees were hit with a late frost that took out the blossoms followed by a heavy hail storm that wiped out anything else including our veggies and left our flower beds looking like shredded lettuce. Just some of what can happen here. There is a coop called Bountiful Baskets where you can contribute for organic fruits and veggies -- no choices - you take what is in the basket. GMO's exist in many foods -- when you shop you need to watch for that if that is a concern. There are 2 fine but small grocery stores in town.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:52 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
The VA in Hot Springs has been on the chopping block, more than once. There is no talk about opening a clinic in Rapid City and shutting down most of Hot Springs. The talk is to keep he rehab and Nursing Home open, but shutting down everything else. Be very careful about jobs there, or be prepared to move to Rapid.

Ft Meade in Sturgis is solid.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:33 PM

6 posts, read 12,513 times
Angry Moving to Hot Springs

Wow.. This is a great way to ask about a possible move. The Hot Springs South Dakota area is beautiful, but you need to really look at the deeper issues. Water, amenities and the culture of people that live here. My brother lived there until about 1998 and was "frozen" out of town for being different. They used him as much as they could and then stopped talking to him and he never went back. It is a small, hate filled and cruel place to live. If you value open minds and culture think twice please. However, if you don't mind the gossiping, back biting and evil that exists and you simply work at the VA and ignore the town, you can survive. I was horrified at the things that they did to my brother. I also had a very religious friend and they moved away for the same reasons. Once someone in the town starts the gossip mill, you are done. If you are suspect of being gay, Lesbian or bisexual in any way, do not enter this town. You will be eaten alive. It was somewhat of a shock to me as when we visited him there, it was so beautiful to see the fall river falls and the downtown area. But beware, the town is made of people. Please read this and know the facts.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:00 PM

22 posts, read 41,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondJHostel View Post
Wow.. This is a great way to ask about a possible move. The Hot Springs South Dakota area is beautiful, but you need to really look at the deeper issues. Water, amenities and the culture of people that live here. My brother lived there until about 1998 and was "frozen" out of town for being different. They used him as much as they could and then stopped talking to him and he never went back. It is a small, hate filled and cruel place to live. If you value open minds and culture think twice please. However, if you don't mind the gossiping, back biting and evil that exists and you simply work at the VA and ignore the town, you can survive. I was horrified at the things that they did to my brother. I also had a very religious friend and they moved away for the same reasons. Once someone in the town starts the gossip mill, you are done. If you are suspect of being gay, Lesbian or bisexual in any way, do not enter this town. You will be eaten alive. It was somewhat of a shock to me as when we visited him there, it was so beautiful to see the fall river falls and the downtown area. But beware, the town is made of people. Please read this and know the facts.

Is it possible that after 15 years, things could be different there?

Old 07-07-2015, 12:01 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynV View Post
Is it possible that after 15 years, things could be different there?
Sadly, not really. See my post from another thread on Edgemont v Hot Springs. The town gossip mill still runs strong, and there is a rampant bullying problem in the schools. Several teacher friends who took jobs there, tried to make it work and have since moved on. It's a pretty town, but not welcoming to outsiders or those who don't fit their mold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota