Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 07:05 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,496,229 times

Advertisements

Meanwhile on the farm: Earning my ranch wife stripes | Opinion | truedakotan.com

Earning my ranch wife stripes....
Although we had plenty of notice before last week’s Friday the 13th blizzard, when winter storm Xanto’s punch landed squarely, and powerfully, in Jerauld County, it was much more than we ever anticipated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 03:14 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Hurrah for you ranch wives, Debey!

(For some reason I kept reading the title of the article as "EATING my ranch wife stripes" instead of "EARNING . . . " and I couldn't figure out why you were eating stripes! )

Hopefully winter is done with us now.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:30 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,811 times
I have been busy planting my garden south of Hot Springs so, you may assume that spring has sprung. Just in case of more frost, I only plant seeds, no plants.

uh

Old 05-11-2018, 10:07 AM

Peas are up, radishes are up, spinach is up, apple tree is blooming, potatoes are going mad, rhubarb is flourishing. Life is good.
uh

Old 05-11-2018, 12:32 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
Peas are up, radishes are up, spinach is up, apple tree is blooming, potatoes are going mad, rhubarb is flourishing. Life is good.
uh

Was planning on TILLING my garden tomorrow, but we just received over 1 1/4" of rain with more expected later today and early tomorrow. Throw in temps in the 50's and low 60's and I'll be tilling mud. I'm going to wait until Monday or Tuesday now as it's suppoed to be warmer and dry. Ground temperatures up until a week ago were too cold for planting anyway.

Just like the farmers and their planting it's going to be a late year for getting the crops in.

Rhubarb looks good though.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:42 AM

It has been warm and dry here, but we finally got 1/2 inch of rain last night and there is still a little coming down. In the southern hills, a person has to plant early and hope the frost doesn't kill the garden. If you wait, the dry season will wreck you. It is not a good place to grow tomatoes or peppers or other late crops.

uh

Old 05-12-2018, 09:36 AM

Something ate all my rhubarb. Just a few nubbins left.

I planted Hidatsa pole beans 3 days ago, and now we're having this yucky cold wet weather. So we'll see what happens.

Mostly for the past 3 years I've been putting in native wildflower and grass seeds on the west side of my property, and I just sit back and see what grows. Last year the yellow coneflower was really beautiful. Curious to see what decides to show up this year. I've been digging up dandelions, which want to take over the universe. Stupid things, they AREN'T native to South Dakota, but they sure like it here.

For the past few years I've gotten most of my summer veg from the CSA and the farmer's market. Did have luck with beans last year, though, and my home grown tomatoes were good the year before. I'm a lazy gardener. I tell the seeds when I plant them: "Sink or swim, it's up to you now!"

Old 05-12-2018, 05:29 PM

Where do you get your wildflower seeds? Do you gather your own? I have been trying to nurture some wildflowers on a rocky, clay piece of land with very little luck.

uh

Old 05-12-2018, 11:03 PM

I get my native plant seeds (and bare root plants) from Prairie Moon https://www.prairiemoon.com/ or Seed Savers https://www.seedsavers.org/

But you're not in the prairie out there, so there may be better sources for native plants for the Western SD environment. Hmmmm.

The organization "Wild Ones" has a central Colorado chapter https://www.wildones.org/connect/cha...rado-chapters/ - they may have connections to nurseries that specialize in Plains and Mountain natives.

There's a guy who lives in Chamberlain who is active in a Facebook group called Native Plant Gardens in the Upper Midwest . He just moved there from Iowa, and just completed his first burn. I'll ask him if he has a seed source that might work for you.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the info. I am looking more for info on harvesting the seeds of native plants and wildflowers. So far the ones I have harvested do not seem to germinate after I plant them. I am not sure if I am harvesting at the wrong time or if I just need the right conditions for them to grow in the soil and climate I live in.
I found the group, Native Plant Gardens in the Midwest. I will try to contact someone there. Thanks again.
uh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota