Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 12:19 PM

509 posts, read 1,679,840 times

Advertisements

My wife and I want to retire to South Dakota one of these days. I cannot decide if I really am ready to retire. If I moved to South Dakota, I think I would still like to work at a meaningful job. I could not be a greeter at Wal-Mart because I would get mad with some customers. I work in a prison, so things come out of your mouth before you think. I know many people want to retire to Florida for the weather, but if they spent some time here they would look else where. Any one feel this same way or am I a longer? Do people in South Dakota want to come to Florida in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 03:46 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Well, I nearly moved there this spring. It was very close. There were just too many negatives in it for me. Long story.

I do love that type of weather though and I have no idea whether we'll actually ever get to relocate. Winter is rough on me physically and it doesn't seem to fit me emotionally either. (get crabby cause I'm achey and freezing all winter long.) For me personally~it probably won't be Fla., but I'd like some place warmer. There are a few states that look interesting. We like OK, but the ice storms aren't that appealing. NC looks beautiful. Texas is interesting, etc.

I remembered that you worked in the penal system. I know you're interested in the Hills and I'm not sure what's out there. Sx. Falls has the state penitentiary and there are a few county jails around, too. There's one in the town I live in and they're often looking for guards. Just a suggestion cause I don't know what specific work you do.

Just wanted to add that financially, I don't see retirement in my future. I am trying to be financially responsible and I do save, but the way things are going, there just won't be enough there to survive on without having employment. Health insurance would be another issue. LOL But I'm still young~52.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:30 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
My friend's parents just bought a house and a yacht on Marco Island in Florida so I'm guessing that it's still the hotspot for northerners to retire. I personally wouldn't want to live in Florida. I don't like the climate and I hate flat places. I guess I'm kinda with you. I'd consider retiring to the Black Hills if I moved away. Life is just so simple here and people seem to care for one another a lot more. Sure there are a few crazies but ours don't compare with those in FL and CA.

I really wouldn't mind raising a family here either but I think it would do me good to get out of here for a little while. There's a lot more to the world than Rapid City!

Old 07-11-2008, 06:25 PM

86 posts, read 270,294 times
hey yamahastar, I don't know if this would interest you or not but Rapid City is planning on buying land near the landfill and building a new prison. Maybe you wouldn't have to wait to retire to move to the Black Hills!

This is the article

State ready to buy land for Rapid City prison » RapidCityJournal.com (http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2008/07/10/news/top/doc4873dd33a0a54363687772.txt - broken link)

Old 07-11-2008, 07:48 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Not to steer you way from South Dakota, but I believe there is also a correctional facility in Newcastle, Wyoming, which isn't too far from the South Dakota border.

Another thought might be some type of security job at Mt. Rushmore, if that is something that would interest you.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:13 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
There is also a boys ranch in Custer State Park.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:06 PM

509 posts, read 1,679,840 times
Thanks for the input. There was a time I would have liked to be a security officer. I work in education in the prison system. I have worked in mental health and hospital administration in the prison system. Lately, we have had so many officers with broken hands and broken arms due to inmate uprisings. I do not wish to be intentionally in that position, even though at anytime I might have to use force. I actually prefer management, because I have years of experience in it. I think it is better not to search too hard. Things seem to work out better that way. Thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota