Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:00 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,498,348 times

Advertisements

I would like to add my thanks, to you, as well......
Thank you, for your Military Service....
welcome to this forum & know that South Dakota awaits you, with open arms!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 07:53 AM

31 posts, read 50,624 times
thank you all for your time and comments!!! It was an Honor to serve Our Great Nation!!

Old 01-07-2009, 03:04 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
As someone who spent a few weeks every summer for almost eleven years in the Black Hills, I can tell you that it is a beautiful and very special place. If my dh and I didn't have family roots in NE, we would dearly love to move to Rapid City ourselves.

I would encourage you to contact some headhunting agencies out of RC, as well look at monster.com and other job sites. It is my understanding that all you need to teach in SD is a bachelors degree, but I also understand the SD pays its teachers pretty poorly. But then the price of living is low and you gotta love the tax system SD has!

Good luck with your search, I have to say that I envy you and your wife.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:41 PM

21 posts, read 101,171 times
I'd agree with the economy thing. It feels like SD has not been affected as much as other areas. I would go for it. It is gorgeous out there.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:06 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Hi Drifter. I agree with everyone who is in love with the State of South Dakota! I was born and raised in Sioux Falls, but I've been gone a long time and I miss it something awful! I think you'd love it there, or anywhere in the state.

Thanks for your service, from a very grateful American.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:55 AM

thank you all once again!!! We hope to come out there very soon. I will see if I can find some work. Again thanks and God Bless!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:51 AM

5 posts, read 10,956 times
Drifter you and I are in opposite shoes, I am planning to take the plunge and move FROM SD to TX in the next month. I am all of my 35 years of life from Sioux Falls though so all I know about the Rapid City area is as a tourist. I feel as though my brain is frozen from being here so long, I am ready to find warmth and my fiance is from Arizona and Ive been wanting a new start for quite some time. Looks like work is not to hard to find there Looking at the Austin or Houston areas. Any words of advice?

Old 01-12-2009, 01:44 PM

Tx bound I wish you the best of luck. To be quite honest I really don't know what the job market is like in Austin or Houston. I do know that Austin area is one of the most expensive places to live but its very beautiful and lots of things to do. All I can tell you bout Houston is I got my first and only tatoo there jajaja. and went to several Astros games...I wish I could be more helpful. I love my state of TX but I cant stand the climate to much humidity and down right hot...Look into San Antonio I have heard its growning faster than other cities and has surpassed Dallas in growth and the housing is still very afforable there..Again I wish you best of luck!! God Bless

Old 01-12-2009, 03:38 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Drifter, there are actually a few of us looking around for a warmer climate it in the future and I'm one of them. Tx/Ok are high on my list. We nearly moved away last March, but it wouldn't have been a good move because the economy in that state is down the tubes for the moment.

South Dakota is a very beautiful and peaceful state, but winters can be awful here. I know~I'm the weather whiner. But today our temps got up to 33 with a windchill of 23. That was quite decent. Now they've been dropping and right now it's 6 with a windchill of 32 below. They've revised the charts so previously it would've probably been at least 40 below and that's terribly cold.

If you're fortunate enough to have a lifestyle where you don't need to go outside except to get to work and get back home, it could be ok, BUT some of us have to actually be outside in this off and on. Not pleasant at all.

Sorry, I know your topic was to try to convince you to move here. All I can say is that if you hate the heat and humidity, you might be happy here. I'm a hot weather person. But basically for everyone, this is going to be a very cold week.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Drifter, there are actually a few of us looking around for a warmer climate it in the future and I'm one of them. Tx/Ok are high on my list. We nearly moved away last March, but it wouldn't have been a good move because the economy in that state is down the tubes for the moment.

South Dakota is a very beautiful and peaceful state, but winters can be awful here. I know~I'm the weather whiner. But today our temps got up to 33 with a windchill of 23. That was quite decent. Now they've been dropping and right now it's 6 with a windchill of 32 below. They've revised the charts so previously it would've probably been at least 40 below and that's terribly cold.

If you're fortunate enough to have a lifestyle where you don't need to go outside except to get to work and get back home, it could be ok, BUT some of us have to actually be outside in this off and on. Not pleasant at all.

Sorry, I know your topic was to try to convince you to move here. All I can say is that if you hate the heat and humidity, you might be happy here. I'm a hot weather person. But basically for everyone, this is going to be a very cold week.

no worries Jammie...my dad keeps telling me if I one day move to SD when Im his age I will want to come back where its warmer..lol..we shall see...well I hope you can get to come to warmer weather as I hope to get to cooler colder weather for now...lol take care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota