Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:37 PM

31 posts, read 50,636 times

Advertisements

I'm a 33 yr old disabled vet wanting to move from New Mexico(misplaced Texan haha). I love the country atomsphere and cold weather believe it or not. I saw the beautiful pictures of the Rapid City and Black Hills area. I'm married with no children and my wife and I have been discussing maybe just getting up and moving to Rapid City area...I hold a Bachelors degree in Business Management but I'm not sure how your job market is. Maybe you can feel me in please. Looking to maybe get Certified to Teach. Also I'm Hispanic and was wondering if there is any kind of Hispanic population in Rapid City or surrounding areas (but thats least of my worries). Well I can't wait to see what you all have to say about your state. I know it comes down to my wife and I making a decision. By the way I love your posts and the pics of your state. God Bless!!!

Last edited by drifter2475; 01-06-2009 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 04:32 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,411,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter2475 View Post
I'm a 33 yr old disabled vet wanting to move from New Mexico(misplaced Texan haha). I love the country atomsphere and cold weather believe it or not. I saw the beautiful picture of the Rapid City and Black Hills area. I'm married with no children and my wife and I have been discussing maybe just getting up and moving to Rapid City area...I hold a Bachelors degree in Business Management but I'm not sure how your job market is. Maybe you can feel me in please. Looking to maybe get Certified to Teach. Also I'm Hispanic and was wondering if there is any kind of Hispanic population in Rapid City or surrounding areas (but thats least of my worries). Well I can't wait to see what you all have to say about your state. I know it comes down to my wife and I making a decision. By the way I love your posts and the pics of your state. God Bless!!!
Danny, ashnat, Busy, and the rest of the West-River group should be able to help you with the Rapid City info.
In my opinion, Rapid City has a strong economy, with the close proximity to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and the national parks.

The recessions is very slowly starting to hit SD, but definitely not as bad as other parts of the country. The state has lost jobs. Here in Sioux Falls, the economy is relatively in a good state. Building of new homes has slowed down.

Good luck with your decisions, and hopefully you will make South Dakota your home! God bless you too!

Old 01-06-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Danny, ashnat, Busy, and the rest of the West-River group should be able to help you with the Rapid City info.
In my opinion, Rapid City has a strong economy, with the close proximity to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and the national parks.

The recessions is very slowly starting to hit SD, but definitely not as bad as other parts of the country. The state has lost jobs. Here in Sioux Falls, the economy is relatively in a good state. Building of new homes has slowed down.

Good luck with your decisions, and hopefully you will make South Dakota your home! God bless you too!

Thank you for taking the time to answer!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 05:38 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,411,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter2475 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to answer!!!
Not a problem at all! I really hope everything will work out for you. Like I said, the West-River peeps should reply soon. I'm just addicted to my laptop .

Old 01-06-2009, 06:05 PM

393 posts, read 1,069,961 times
Well, first, thank you for being a veteran! Without you, this would not be a free country (what's left of it anyway). Like you, I want to move to the Black Hills and I love Rapid. I've never had the opportunity to spend time out there looking for a job so I can't really say there is a strong job market but from everything I've heard, SD is one of the lowest wage states in the U.S. in many regards so it won't be easy.

Don't dispair though, if it was that easy, EVERYONE would want to move there and it wouldn't be the same anyway. Currently, I'm striving to become debt free so I CAN move there and at least have a chance to start off without the stress of too many bills. It will happen in good time.

I'm glad you liked the pictures.

Best of luck to you!

BH

Old 01-06-2009, 07:58 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,720,624 times
Hey drifter! Thanks for your daily sacrifices for our freedoms. I'd love to help you get to know Rapid City more. Our economy relies a lot on tourism in the summer. Rapid City is the doorway to the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, and skiing resorts.

Rapid City is also the hub city in a large four state region. If you're a rancher, farmer, or some type of business owner in SD, MT, WY, or NE the chances are that you do a lot of your business in Rapid City. And being the hub city of such a large region also makes Rapid City the major shopping, culture, and medical center. Rapid City Regional Hospital is the largest medical center between the Colorado Front Range, Canada, and Eastern South Dakota. Building has not really slowed that much here in Rapid City and the Black Hills, yet we haven't seen as many economic downturns as the rest of the country or even Sioux Falls. There have been no major lay-offs in Rapid City that I know of.

Drifter, the only way to really see the beauty, friendliness, and general climate of Rapid City is to come visit sometime. I can go on all day but you'll understand only when you see it for yourself.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 PM

DB and BH...

thank you for taking your time to answer. I to am trying to get out of a few bills and then try to head up there for a visit and maybe to stay...i love to fish, ski at least try lol, and love to plant a garden...i would love to own 1-5 acres of land and a house...im a first time buyer so just maybe one day..well I hope to see SD sooner rather than later. Again thank you for your time and your comments!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:34 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,456,952 times
Hi Drifter, Thank you so much for serving our country. You guys are the true heroes.

Just come on up when you get the chance. I'll pretty much guarantee that you'll love it in the Hills. It's very beautiful out there~peaceful, too.

And welcome to the forum.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:01 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,926,895 times
South Dakota has many friendly and down-to-earth folks and most of the towns and cities are clean, safe, and affordable to live in. The beauty of South Dakota lies in its rural landscape, especially in the rural hills region. It is a diamond in the rough and a gem in many aspects.

Drifter, thank you for serving this great nation along with helping to protect us and our freedoms.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:42 PM

106 posts, read 344,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Hey drifter! Thanks for your daily sacrifices for our freedoms. I'd love to help you get to know Rapid City more. Our economy relies a lot on tourism in the summer. Rapid City is the doorway to the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, and skiing resorts.

Rapid City is also the hub city in a large four state region. If you're a rancher, farmer, or some type of business owner in SD, MT, WY, or NE the chances are that you do a lot of your business in Rapid City. And being the hub city of such a large region also makes Rapid City the major shopping, culture, and medical center. Rapid City Regional Hospital is the largest medical center between the Colorado Front Range, Canada, and Eastern South Dakota. Building has not really slowed that much here in Rapid City and the Black Hills, yet we haven't seen as many economic downturns as the rest of the country or even Sioux Falls. There have been no major lay-offs in Rapid City that I know of.

Drifter, the only way to really see the beauty, friendliness, and general climate of Rapid City is to come visit sometime. I can go on all day but you'll understand only when you see it for yourself.
Sioux Falls has had an economic downturn? SF gained 2,500 Jobs in 2008 and Commercial/Multi Family Construction is up significantly. However yes we have seen SOME layoffs, atleast 250, but again we had a large job gain. Sioux Falls has an amazingly strong economy, and has the lowest unemployment rate in the Nation. However Sioux Falls is starting to feel a bit like a city, and I dont know if you would necessarily like that from what it sounds like. SF has the States two largest Health Care Systems, and one future International Health System (Sanford in Europe)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota