Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 02:41 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

I get the impression you are viewing my hypothetical scenario as just robots doing what humans do now when there exists the possibility that a world controlled by an artificial intelligence may have totally different reasons for being and not really partake of human ways of doing things, the network/infrastructure of computers and their power source is already set up and would only need minor maintenance to exist for millenia as a sentient presence on the Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 05:41 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,348,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I get the impression you are viewing my hypothetical scenario as just robots doing what humans do now when there exists the possibility that a world controlled by an artificial intelligence may have totally different reasons for being and not really partake of human ways of doing things, the network/infrastructure of computers and their power source is already set up and would only need minor maintenance to exist for millenia as a sentient presence on the Earth.
That's correct! But as I did try to disclaim, artificial intelligence isnt really my gig. I'm a physics guy! Hypothetical scenarios based on artificial intelligence and then dominating a Universe are tough to really talk about intelligently.

I would wonder, though, in order to make an AI world actually exist, the robots would have to figure out how to do things to begin with. They'd have to have senses, observe, experiment, improvise, etc...... Personally, I think it's a highly improbable scenario, nay I even suggest impossible.

Wish I could have helped more on this one, its just a bit out of my expertise to really be able to be useful on it.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:20 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
That's awesome! You should have him register here and participate. City-Data isnt known for a user-friendly space forum yet, but all good things come in time!
I would love it if he would join in on this topic. He loves space physics. I will see what I can do.
Quote:
I dont put any salt into it whatsoever. In a nutshell, a bunch of folks put some numbers in a computer and said "Hey, this is compatible!" and then "Hey, it looks like a theory from the 80s, isnt that neat!" and then someone put a news story together about it and tried their best to make it look like something revolutionary.
Well thanks for that explanation...I will ask my brother the same question and see what he says.
Quote:
Either it contains more than 4 or it contains exactly 2. (String theory or Holographic principle). We cant see other dimensions if they exist because as we believe them to exist they would be incredibly small.
Why on earth are the other dimensions believed to be small? Based on what?
Quote:
Gravity appears to be universally functional in all dimensions and all types of matter.
How has this been proven?
Quote:
I always tell people its impossible to think in other dimensions. People think often that they can think in 2D. Well, you cant! Your visualizing a 2D representation within 3D space. So your really not visualizing 3D. Same for 1D, 4D, 5D, 11D, etc....
I am on the same page as you with respect to our 2D visualizing in a 3D space. I am also a scientist but not a physicists. I did take a year of college physics for my undergrad. I am a medical scientist who is now working on an advanced degree in Molecular Diagnostics.
Quote:
Black holes are just really big clumps of matter in a small area. Since we know they dissipate over billions of years as "Hawking Radiation" (Dissipate or evaporate, whatever term you choose), we dont believe anywhere that they are pathways to any other Universe. Or even another location. They are just such large masses that the gravity is too extreme to leave by methods even as fast as light. If it was a pathway to another Universe, we'd probably expect to see something come out of it as most paths in nature are two directional. Since we know what goes in and what goes out and it doesnt vary, I dont think this to be possible.
Yes, but we are only understanding the black holes with our very limited abilities. As far as I know we really don't know what black holes are or what their function is...thus we don't know what could be on the other side of one. How do they dissipate? What causes this to occur?

Also how do we actually measure that the Universe is 13.7 Billion years old?

Thank you for your responses! This is certainly a very fun thread!

Last edited by TVC15; 11-13-2013 at 12:47 AM..

Old 11-13-2013, 01:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
That's correct! But as I did try to disclaim, artificial intelligence isnt really my gig. I'm a physics guy! Hypothetical scenarios based on artificial intelligence and then dominating a Universe are tough to really talk about intelligently.

I would wonder, though, in order to make an AI world actually exist, the robots would have to figure out how to do things to begin with. They'd have to have senses, observe, experiment, improvise, etc...... Personally, I think it's a highly improbable scenario, nay I even suggest impossible.

Wish I could have helped more on this one, its just a bit out of my expertise to really be able to be useful on it.
Thanks for trying.. The way the humanoid condition on Earth is diving headlong into all things techno i was wondering how long before the techno rules the human and if its happening on this planet i wonder what the ultimate dominant entity/intelligence would be in the universe,organic or non organic .
"They'd have to have senses, observe, experiment, improvise, etc|..You're still thinking like a human,by applying human attributes to a non human entity/s..

Old 11-13-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Why on earth are the other dimensions believed to be small? Based on what?
Based on the mathematics involved in string theory. Or, one could also state that other dimensions could be larger than our Universe if you follow M-Theory involving branes where our Universe is one of the "branes in a membrane" so to say.

Quote:
How has this been proven?
We know gravity and dark matter interact, that's why we believe it to be so clumpy. We dont know for certain if gravity works through other dimensions but the mathematics behind gravity imply that it should.

Quote:
I am on the same page as you with respect to our 2D visualizing in a 3D space. I am also a scientist but not a physicists. I did take a year of college physics for my undergrad. I am a medical scientist who is now working on an advanced degree in Molecular Diagnostics.
Hey look at that, the scientist in you comes out! :-) Most everything I learned in college has all changed now. That's one of the fun things of this field.

Quote:
Yes, but we are only understanding the black holes with our very limited abilities. As far as I know we really don't know what black holes are or what their function is...thus we don't know what could be on the other side of one. How do they dissipate? What causes this to occur?
Actually we understand black holes very well! We do know what black holes are, how they form, whats inside, and how they dissipate. Because of quantum mechanics and uncertainty, black holes will emit radiation and when they do that, they lose mass/energy. Over time, a really long time, they evaporate. There's a little debate over if an experiment back in 2009 or 2010 showed that this is correct, by a lab experiment creating a white hole and showing the radiation. The people who are debating whether or not this is accurate generally arent cosmologists or involved in quantum physics though, so their debate to me is unimportant, I believe it to be accurate and representative! NASA is working on an instrument that will look at sound waves which should put the whole debate to rest.

My explanation above doesnt really explain why they radiate, but think of it this way in layman terms, black holes are hot since all the matter inside of them is compressed. The heat has to go somewhere, and that's through radiation. Sure, nothing can escape a black hole, but when you are on the event horizon (the edge of the black hole) a virtual particle/antiparticle is created and the black hole turns half of it into a particle that escapes and takes away the mass/energy. It takes a L O N G time for all this to evaporate.

Quote:
Also how do we actually measure that the Universe is 13.7 Billion years old?
On a non-theory side, we use WMAP which is a NASA satellite that measures the cosmic microwave background radiation. When the Universe inflated it was hot, and is cooling off. That heat still lingers everywhere. The WMAP satellite goes into orbit, and spins around like a rotating top and mapped the radiation. That data showed us to within +/- 1% that the Universe is 13.76 billion years old!

Ben

Old 11-13-2013, 10:29 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
We know gravity and dark matter interact, that's why we believe it to be so clumpy.
It is not belief, is it actual observation. Due to the interaction between gravity and Dark Matter, and as a result of gravitational lensing, we have been able to make detailed maps of Dark Matter throughout the universe.

Biggest Map Yet of Universe's Invisible Dark Matter Unveiled | Dark Matter Distribution in Universe | Hidden Dark Matter & 219th American Astronomical Society Meeting, AAS219 | Space.com
Astronomers Map Dark Matter Throughout the Entire Universe

Quote:
Actually we understand black holes very well! We do know what black holes are, how they form, whats inside, and how they dissipate. Because of quantum mechanics and uncertainty, black holes will emit radiation and when they do that, they lose mass/energy. Over time, a really long time, they evaporate. There's a little debate over if an experiment back in 2009 or 2010 showed that this is correct, by a lab experiment creating a white hole and showing the radiation. The people who are debating whether or not this is accurate generally arent cosmologists or involved in quantum physics though, so their debate to me is unimportant, I believe it to be accurate and representative! NASA is working on an instrument that will look at sound waves which should put the whole debate to rest.

My explanation above doesnt really explain why they radiate, but think of it this way in layman terms, black holes are hot since all the matter inside of them is compressed. The heat has to go somewhere, and that's through radiation. Sure, nothing can escape a black hole, but when you are on the event horizon (the edge of the black hole) a virtual particle/antiparticle is created and the black hole turns half of it into a particle that escapes and takes away the mass/energy. It takes a L O N G time for all this to evaporate.
Additionally, if black holes were gateways to other dimensions or other parts of the universe (as in a "white hole"), then it would be losing mass much more rapidly than through Hawking Radiation. But that does not fit our observations. If objects collide with a black hole, the black hole increases in mass.

Quote:
On a non-theory side, we use WMAP which is a NASA satellite that measures the cosmic microwave background radiation. When the Universe inflated it was hot, and is cooling off. That heat still lingers everywhere. The WMAP satellite goes into orbit, and spins around like a rotating top and mapped the radiation. That data showed us to within +/- 1% that the Universe is 13.76 billion years old!

Ben
Recent data from ESA's Planck satellite, combined with WMAP, puts the age of the universe at 13.798 ± 0.037 billion years, or 4.354E+17 ± 0.012 seconds.

Planck 2013 Results

Old 11-13-2013, 09:09 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Thanks Ben and I am still percolating on some of the points you posted.

What exactly is Dark Matter?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ben and I am still percolating on some of the points you posted.

What exactly is Dark Matter?
We dont know! :-) All we know is it's something that doesnt interact with ordinary matter, has mass, and accounts for most of the mass in the Universey. Most likely it's made up of WIMPS (weak interacting massive particles) or axions. But for now, we just dont know. We do know it isnt baryonic matter, it isnt antimatter, and it isnt matter from black holes because we could detect that.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
We dont know! :-) All we know is it's something that doesnt interact with ordinary matter, has mass, and accounts for most of the mass in the Universey. Most likely it's made up of WIMPS (weak interacting massive particles) or axions. But for now, we just dont know. We do know it isnt baryonic matter, it isnt antimatter, and it isnt matter from black holes because we could detect that.
Perhaps it's one of those other dimensions that humans can't detect due to limited sensitivity of our measuring devices.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Perhaps it's one of those other dimensions that humans can't detect due to limited sensitivity of our measuring devices.
Most certainly not. Dark matter is within our own spacetime dimension! Could DM interact with OTHER dimensions as well as ours? That's a question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space