Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 02:15 PM

926 posts, read 673,533 times

Advertisements

New Conspiracy Theorist Claims To Have Proof That Apollo Moon Landing Was Fake

I really hope this isn't true, and it probably isn't.

I've heard this conspiracy theory a couple of times this year - and I just brushed it off with an eye roll. But, after seeing some of these theorist's videos, seeing their proof and reading in detail why they feel that the Apollo Moon Landing was a hoax, I'm honestly starting to wonder now....

I mean, if this turns out to be true - what ELSE has the U.S. Government 'shown' us that is ALSO fake?!

And another thing....why hasn't the U.S. ever gone back to the moon since July 20th, 1969? Our technology now must surely surpass what we had back in the 60s, yeah?

Old 11-26-2017, 02:29 PM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
I listened to Neil DeGrasse Tyson talk about this, he said it would be more difficult to fake than it would be to just to go there. I believe we went. I don't think we went back because there really wasn't a reason to. Not much there.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:37 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
And another thing....why hasn't the U.S. ever gone back to the moon since July 20th, 1969? Our technology now must surely surpass what we had back in the 60s, yeah?
There were six manned moon landings between 1969 and 1972.

Why don't we go back now? It's very expensive, and there's no compelling reason to make a short trip. We've been there, done that. Not going to find anything new and exciting on the moon in a brief visit. I don't think we'll go back until (if & when) there is a plan for people to stay on the moon for an extended time.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:47 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:

I've heard this conspiracy theory a couple of times this year - and I just brushed it off with an eye roll. But, after seeing some of these theorist's videos, seeing their proof and reading in detail why they feel that the Apollo Moon Landing was a hoax, I'm honestly starting to wonder now....

I mean, if this turns out to be true - what ELSE has the U.S. Government 'shown' us that is ALSO fake?!

We went back 5 more times, until Congress cut the money because they didn't see the point in continuing. Which is also why we haven't been back since. Apollo was sold to the American public as a "space race" with the evil Soviet Union, and once we won the race, nobody was able to articulate a compelling reason to keep going back. It's rather pricey.

As for that photo, I don't see anything in it that makes me question whether it's genuine. A closeup of that shot just looks to me like a distorted photo of someone in a space suit, about what you'd expect from a curved reflective surface.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
One of my favorite YouTube videos. Go Buzz!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UryIstlIGks

Old 11-26-2017, 02:58 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:

April, the Apollo missions were all tracked by independent observers around the world as the Apollo astronauts traveled to and from the moon. The Soviet Union was one of those observers.
Apollo missions tracked by independent parties[edit]
Aside from NASA, a number of entities and individuals observed, through various means, the Apollo missions as they took place. On later missions, NASA released information to the public explaining where third party observers could expect to see the various craft at specific times according to scheduled launch times and planned trajectories.[6]

Observers of all missions[edit]
The Soviet Union monitored the missions at their Space Transmissions Corps, which was "fully equipped with the latest intelligence-gathering and surveillance equipment."[7] Vasily Mishin, in an interview for the article "The Moon Programme That Faltered," describes how the Soviet Moon programme dwindled after the Apollo landing.[8]

The missions were tracked by radar from several countries on the way to the Moon and back.[9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-..._Moon_landings
Read the entire Wiki article. The moon missions were not faked.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:03 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,680 times

This is what I love about conspiracy theories. They require absolutely brilliant Machiavellian manipulations om the part of the conspirators ... yet they also require those conspirators to be so inept that any clown with an internet connection can supposedly expose the conspiracy.

Quote:

First, there were 9 manned missions to the moon, six of which descended to the lunar surface. Five landings and one another non-landing all came after the Apollo 11 mission. If were even remotely familiar with the Apollo program, and the article you linked, you'd realize that, as the photo that you included is from the Apollo 17 mission of December 1972.

I'm not going to bother debunking this inanity, but I'll just point out this little tidbit. The USSR expended billions trying to beat the U.S. to the moon. Don't you think they'd have exposed the supposedly fake landings? Think about it. They could follow all the telemetry. They could track the missions via radar. They would have known if the transmissions that were obviously from the Apollo spacecraft in fact weren't originating from those spacecraft. This little problem is why at least some promulgators of this utterly ludicrous conspiracy claim that the USSR was actively complicit in helping the U.S. with the supposed charade. I guess they know that the boundless gullibility of conspiracists is such that even that absurd claim will be believed.

PS - The Apollo program cost over $120 billion dollars in 2017 dollars. That's why we stopped going there, after the MY SPACESHIP IS BIGGER THAN YOURS! race with the Soviets had been won.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:11 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post

This is what I love about conspiracy theories. They require absolutely brilliant Machiavellian manipulations om the part of the conspirators ... yet they also require those conspirators to be so inept that any clown with an internet connection can supposedly expose the conspiracy.
It would also require that the tens of thousands of people from all over the world who would have known about it kept their mouths completey shut - never told a single soul, not ONE of them - for their entire lives.

Is there really anyone dumb enough to believe that's even remotely possible?

Old 11-26-2017, 03:27 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
C'mon.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:48 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
OMG. Another "we didn't go to the moon" photo.

We went to the moon. Our goal was to beat the Russians. It was a space race, and there's no way we would have faked that when America's ego was at stake. There was a time in our history when being the first, the best and the greatest at something was worth something and not seen as flaunting and bullying someone weaker.

If NASA had faked a moon landing, don't you think they'd make sure the stage hands weren't caught in the reflection of the mirrored visors? How stupid do you think we were back then?

Today's generation can't stand the fact that we dinosaurs placed human beings in rockets, shot them through space and landed them on the moon using little more than our wits and our slide rulers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space