Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 12:38 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,133,254 times

Advertisements

Now before you ask, no, this is not a "parenting" question. I'm asking this because I've been diagnosed with high-functioning autism (HFA) since at a very young age. Then, last year, I took an online test that had something to do with mental disorders. I checked in the appropriate answers which best suit me, and the test came back with the result saying that I have Asperger's syndrome (AS). Now, recently I've been researching on both AS and HFA, and the only difference I can find thus far is that a diagnosis of HFA requires that, early in development, the child had delayed language whereas in AS, the child did not show a significant delay in language development. Other than that, they are said to be the exact same diagnosis. It is possible that, sometime in the future, both AS and HFA may be combined into one category.

So, my question is this: Are there ANY other differences between AS and HFA? If so, what, if any?

Any answers/insights are greatly appreciated on this. Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 05:03 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,900,469 times
HFA and Asperger's are essentially the same diagnosis as they share many of the same features. You are correct that the defining feature of AS is that there was no evidence of a speech/language delay.

My niece has AS and her language development was actually earlier than most children. She had one tough time in school though because she is very uncomfortable with social interactions.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:56 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Asperger syndrome was removed from the most recent diagnostic manual. It now falls under the umbrella term Autism Spectrum Disorder. Prior to this AS presented without language delay where HFA had a delay.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:53 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,193,250 times
The different spectrums of AS or HFAS is huge. Some may do well in typical settings some not so well. Some may have high IQ's some not. As the saying goes for this: Once you've met someone with Asperger's you've met one person with Asperger's. Meaning you're all different and can't really compare one person to another.

My son always took things very literally. A few examples. (did have a IEP for all the good it did him, not)

Elementary math question: measure the angle A B C. His answer was: done.
Of course teacher marked it wrong. I knew right away it was because it did not ask
What is the angle? He followed the directions exactly as was written. I had numerous discussions with teachers about this, if answer seems off for the teacher to see if it was how questions were asked... It never was resolved but son got a bit better at interpreting us neuro-typicals.

Another example
Told to take a bucket down to ice machine and fill it with ice and put it in the cooler, he was about 12, of course the bucket filled with ice was in the cooler, not just the ice. He had seen us do this many times but it was the first time he did on his own.
I didn't point out his mistake didn't want to embarrass him.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:10 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,734 times
AS is no longer given as a diagnosis with the most recent DSM. Now it is just under the umbrella of Autism Spectrum. I was tested under the newest DSM and was diagnosed with ASD, but I suspect that if I had been tested under the previous DSM they would have said AS.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:16 AM

13,634 posts, read 10,038,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
The different spectrums of AS or HFAS is huge. Some may do well in typical settings some not so well. Some may have high IQ's some not. As the saying goes for this: Once you've met someone with Asperger's you've met one person with Asperger's. Meaning you're all different and can't really compare one person to another.

My son always took things very literally. A few examples. (did have a IEP for all the good it did him, not)

Elementary math question: measure the angle A B C. His answer was: done.
Of course teacher marked it wrong. I knew right away it was because it did not ask
What is the angle? He followed the directions exactly as was written. I had numerous discussions with teachers about this, if answer seems off for the teacher to see if it was how questions were asked... It never was resolved but son got a bit better at interpreting us neuro-typicals.

Another example
Told to take a bucket down to ice machine and fill it with ice and put it in the cooler, he was about 12, of course the bucket filled with ice was in the cooler, not just the ice. He had seen us do this many times but it was the first time he did on his own.
I didn't point out his mistake didn't want to embarrass him.
And, your point is?

Maybe it's my Asperger's, but I read that line a few times, but still couldn't see what your son did wrong. I get it now, but didn't know the bucket wasn't to be put in the cooler too.

I wish your son luck, he's going to need it. I still do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children