Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:45 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

From last October, but still worth a look...

Hot 'Hoods | Annual Report | The Pacific Northwest Inlander | News, Politics, Music, Calendar, Events in Spokane, Coeur d'Alene and the Inland Northwest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 08:27 PM

72 posts, read 130,452 times
Great link. Thanks! The link below only ranks City of Spokane neighborhoods and the rankings rely on a very specific idea of what constitutes a good neighborhood but, as a non-Spokanite, it was very useful in introducing Spokane to me.

Spokane's Best Neighborhoods - SpokanePlanner

Old 01-22-2016, 11:08 AM

43 posts, read 50,786 times
Spokane is different than the coast for sure, and more temperate climatologically speaking than Richland. There are some great neighborhoods, and some not so great. We live on the South Hill, a great walking community, with high lux homes, and middle class homes, so there is something for every one. And shopping up here has gotten to the point where one would almost never have to descend off the hill into the bowels of the city core below for anything. Very nice parks up here, some would say it's rather she-she, which only helps add a bit to the mystic, of the place. But there are also other great neighborhood areas besides the South Hill; 5 mile hill, is destined to be the next place to be area , very quiet, and an easy decent to the upper north west side of Spokane, lots of shopping, closer to long lake and Mt. Spokane.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:20 PM

72 posts, read 130,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
Spokane is different than the coast for sure, and more temperate climatologically speaking than Richland. There are some great neighborhoods, and some not so great. We live on the South Hill, a great walking community, with high lux homes, and middle class homes, so there is something for every one. And shopping up here has gotten to the point where one would almost never have to descend off the hill into the bowels of the city core below for anything. Very nice parks up here, some would say it's rather she-she, which only helps add a bit to the mystic, of the place. But there are also other great neighborhood areas besides the South Hill; 5 mile hill, is destined to be the next place to be area , very quiet, and an easy decent to the upper north west side of Spokane, lots of shopping, closer to long lake and Mt. Spokane.
You don't have to sell me on Spokane. I grew up in Yakima and have lived the last 5 years in Richland but, until last summer, I never spent longer than a bathroom stop in Spokane. Last summer we decided to check out Spokane and fell in love with South Hill in particular. For me, Spokane seems to be a perfect balance of city life and outdoor access. We strongly considering moving there this summer.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:05 PM

I don't mean to sound like a real-estate promoter, but for the 2nd largest city in Washington, it has never felt like that to us. It isn't perfect, but it tries always to improve, and does seem to still strike an almost perfect balance in many ways. Richland is nice if you like more heat, but for us, the true 4 seasons are hard to beat. Hope you can come.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:03 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
After living outside Spokane for many years in far northern Idaho, we bought a house on the South Hill last fall and we love it. I've always called Spokane a Podunk city but I mean it fondly. I've lived in many major metropolitan areas and I love Spokane's accessibility, the friendliness of the people and the general hometown feeling here. The South Hill is beautiful. We live in the Rockwood neighborhood and its a wonderful area.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:03 PM

The south hill is an interesting place, it's almost like a small city all by itself. A great walking and bike riding place to be, and safer than the centennial trail. We are up between Comstock and Manito, lot's of middle class homes to choose from, but right now not much of sale. But...., if I could live up around Priest lake.....I would, it's a small slice of Heaven.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
The south hill is an interesting place, it's almost like a small city all by itself. A great walking and bike riding place to be, and safer than the centennial trail. We are up between Comstock and Manito, lot's of middle class homes to choose from, but right now not much of sale. But...., if I could live up around Priest lake.....I would, it's a small slice of Heaven.
That's where we lived. It is heaven and we still have our place there. We built t ourselves as a summer cabin but couldn't bear to leave after our first summer. Outhouse for the first 18 months (we still have it too) and off grid for the first 8 years. We did the whole back to the land thing and raised sheep, goats, horses, chickens, garden, etc and had a wonderful time.

But we have a new grandchild here also on the South Hill an are empty nesters now so it's really nice to be closer to things. We saw Book of Mormon last night at th a Performing Arts Center and had a 5 minute drive home. After years of driving an hour to get anywhere, this is very nice.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:15 PM

Would have liked to have a place up at priest, always like eating at the Nordman, of course Elkins was always a treat as was Cavanaugh's, it's a different way of life that is for sure, not much industry up there for jobs, and not much going on for city type fun, unless you have an extra liver and enjoy whisky with an oat soda chaser. Not my idea of fun anymore, I like it quiet and simple, as we are in our late 50s, and it is just the 2 of us.
If I could be young again, I would try going up there and see if I could make something work, however, don't care much for an out house..., had a large something run across the bottom of my cracked cheeks once as a kid. Never forgot that, it scared me to death, but it helped me get done quickly what I went in there to do. Never forget the guy who went camping up at indian creek on his motorcycle with just a sleeping bag, big can of beans and a pound of bacon...., and I think a fifth of something.

Anyhow, he put his sleeping bag up on the picnic table and went to bed; about 3 hours later those close by were all woken up by yelling and screaming, as it seems this smallish black bear liked the smell of the bacon he cooked, and got up on the table and started licking his face while he slept. He was under one of the lights, so you could just make out what was going on. He jumped on his bike and tore out, leaving everything behind. It was a hoot.....funny what you remember.

But.., it is hard to beat Spokane for convenience, and while it is not perfect, there is a lot good about this city. If only they could keep the streets up a bit better, some of the pot holes are pretty rough. But we have 2 Toyota 4X4s, and they are pretty tough, still though....some of those can rattle the fillings in your head.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:28 AM

We had lots of black bears which are the worst, one grizzly that we know of (have a picture), wolves, cougar, but the worst were the danged raccoons. They could occasionally slip by the Great Pyrenees guardian dogs we kept, and would kill chickens for the heck of it. Almost killed our cat too.
Life was pretty quiet and simple but making a living is always a bit harder up there. Still, I wouldnt trade those years for anything. We got to live in a way that most people will never get to experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area