Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:17 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
I think the old house thing being romanticized is weird. Drafty, poorly laid out, too much upkeep, often in undesirable areas, etc., sounds like a recipe for disaster. Especially for households with two working people in them.
I totally agree. I talking with contractors for building our house here (eventually), there are engineering and technological innovations in home construction happening all the time. Insulation, prevention of ice dams, floor plan efficiency, etc, are all things that people that buy an older house and try to "fix up" will always have to deal with. Not worth it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 09:46 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I totally agree. I talking with contractors for building our house here (eventually), there are engineering and technological innovations in home construction happening all the time. Insulation, prevention of ice dams, floor plan efficiency, etc, are all things that people that buy an older house and try to "fix up" will always have to deal with. Not worth it to me.
Nor was it to us. Now we lived surrounded by the old houses I love to look at but I go home to a newly remodeled modern house. Pretty much perfect.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 10,754 times
Sumner Avenue, where I grew up.

David

Old 02-25-2016, 11:53 PM

43 posts, read 50,792 times
Modern craftsman homes have none of the problems that original craftsman homes do. You get all the charm, and none of the hassle. Been in gobs of the reproductions and they are wonderful....if that is your thing. Personally, I like the Kincaid homes, there is a village of them across the border in Idaho....really nice....way out of my range. But if I had what I would want, and really nice log home or a Lindal cedar home would fit the bill nicely.

Of course now, another enemy of homes in older neighborhoods is very tall trees, and wind. I still love trees, but would never plant a pine tree anywhere around my house. Crash....scream....swearing....unpleasantness..... ..very unpleasant.....ness.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:53 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
Modern craftsman homes have none of the problems that original craftsman homes do. You get all the charm, and none of the hassle. Been in gobs of the reproductions and they are wonderful....if that is your thing. Personally, I like the Kincaid homes, there is a village of them across the border in Idaho....really nice....way out of my range. But if I had what I would want, and really nice log home or a Lindal cedar home would fit the bill nicely.

Of course now, another enemy of homes in older neighborhoods is very tall trees, and wind. I still love trees, but would never plant a pine tree anywhere around my house. Crash....scream....swearing....unpleasantness..... ..very unpleasant.....ness.

Some friends of ours had a tree fall close to their house in the wind storm we had back in the Summer of 2014. They took it out, and in the last wind storm the tree in their front yard started to lean a bit. They took that one out too, costs them almost $1200 to get it out. Now the front of their house just gets blasted by the sun. Too bad during summer.

Roofers in town are booked through the year though, so at least someone is flourishing from all the trees smashing peoples houses.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:01 PM

43 posts, read 50,792 times
We live in the 99203 neighborhood of Southhill, I understand it got nailed the worst..., in all my years in this town, I never saw anything like it, it was devastation everywhere....but we came through untouched, with the exception of having no power for 7 days.

I have a warranty issue with my new 50 year roof..., and like you say, all the roofers are booked solid, as are most of the builders. So for some, they are still waiting for repairs....The tree people are super busy as well. Lots of people want to take down all their pine trees, as well as the spruce trees, which did not fair well at all. I planted a silver maple in my front yard as well as some hornbeams..., those babies put roots down deep. If these trees ever blow over, then my house would probably up root and land somewhere in Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area