Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 05:33 AM

68 posts, read 157,490 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Spokane from Salt Lake City UT. Reason for my move? One word. Climate. I would like longer and colder Winters and more snow than I currently get.

I like the idea of Spokane because I don't want to move somewhere with humidity. I would also like less sun in the winter because it causes the snow to stick around longer and I love snow. Nothing beats a white Christmas. I would probably go back to Wyoming because there are areas where you get 8 months of winter however you have to sacrifice too many amenities to live in Wyoming. I need my Costco and my Best Buys ect ect.

I am asking for info here on this forum because most of the stuff I have found is very old information. As a small note I am aware of the mindset of a lot of the people in Spokane and experienced the same thing in Wyoming

I would love her to gather some opinions and information on the following...
--- Has anyone else been to or lived in Salt Lake City how did the two cities compare?
--- What are the winters like now days?
--- Is it as dry humidity wise as Salt Lake City or more humid?
--- How much snow do you get there nowadays?
--- What are some of your opinions of the overall quality of life in Spokane?
--- I am someone who really enjoys the outdoors should I enjoy it there?

Thanks in advance for any information you all are able to provide.

Last edited by cwwjr1681; 07-02-2017 at 05:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 01:27 AM

Also from all I have read it seems Spokane and SLC are close to the same crime wise? Once again as mentioned in my above post, I would love to hear from someone who has either lived in or visited both.

Last edited by cwwjr1681; 07-04-2017 at 01:39 AM..

Old 07-04-2017, 08:48 AM

486 posts, read 842,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwjr1681 View Post
Reason for my move? One word. Climate. I would like longer and colder Winters and more snow than I currently get.
Might be a little colder here, but now as snowy....

Average Snowfall:

Spokane - 47.4"
Salt Lake City - 62.7"

Old 07-04-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxkicker View Post
Might be a little colder here, but now as snowy....

Average Snowfall:

Spokane - 47.4"
Salt Lake City - 62.7"
Thanks for that info but you can not go off statistics man. Thats why I was wanting to hear people's experiences between the two cites. Your snow for example I am sure sticks around. Ours is gone 3hours from the drop. The sun is always out here. You seem to have more overcast winters. Causing snow to stick around

Old 07-04-2017, 12:06 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
I've lived in Denver (similar climate to SLC) and in Spokane. I was in Spokane for Super Bowl weekend this year, and it snowed literally the entire 5 days we were there. It was piled up deep, and it doesn't appear to melt quickly like it does in Denver (there were narrow canyons to walk through on sidewalks, big piles in everybody's yard, etc). I will also mention that their plows get stuff DONE!

IMO, Spokane is more humid than Denver, but don't worry, it's not like the Midwest; IMO it is the perfect spot between dry and humid.

I love Spokane, it is at the apex of my list of favorite places in the world. If you think you can enjoy the weather/climate, and deal with/ignore the trashy elements that exist there (the excess of good people more than makes up for it IMO), you will find a place with plenty of outdoor activities and a well-balanced city lifestyle that is hard to find.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:48 PM

448 posts, read 812,913 times
Background information: I have not lived (as an adult) in either location. I have visited Spokane and Coeur d'Alene many times as most of my father's family lives in the area, and have for several generations. I have been *through* Salt Lake City numerous times driving across the country and did vacation there once for corporate event. I've also researched both areas as possible destinations for me to relcoate to.

--- Has anyone else been to or lived in Salt Lake City how did the two cities compare?

Salt Lake City is much larger than Spokane. Large airport hub means cheaper flights out to other areas of the country. Professional sports teams (NBA, MLS), more stops for concerts, shows, other events, etc. SLC's metro area is a bit over a million, but the Wasatch Front, including Ogden, Provo, etc. is over 2.5 million. Spokane, even if you include Coeur d'Alene and the surrounding rural areas, you top out around 700k, so SLC is 3-4x as large.

I think both locales are beautiful, but the mountains in SLC are in-your-face. Spokane's mountains are lower relief and farther away. You're not too far away from that alpine experience in either direction if you need it though. Otherwise, I think the greatest difference would probably be cultural differences - SLC being heavily influenced by the LDS Church, Spokane being fairly moderate when compared to the country as a whole. Both cities are blue urban areas surrounded by red suburbs. The main difference there is that Washington as a state is fairly 'blue' while Utah is the one of the reddest around.

--- What are the winters like now days?

This changes quite substantially year-to-year. IIRC, snow was gone by February last year and never came back. This year was more normal but not extreme. If you love snow some years you will be very happy, other years not so much.

--- Is it as dry humidity wise as Salt Lake City or more humid?

It is more humid than Salt Lake City, but nearly everywhere is. Just as an off-hand example, it's the 4th of July and it's sunny with 12% humidity in SLC and mostly sunny and 22% humidity in Spokane. I live in a much more average part of the country and the humidity is 48%. In the midwest right now it's close to 60%. So Spokane is more humid than SLC, but it's still solidly on the 'dry' side of the humidity question. For comparison, I was born and raised in Texas and absolutely love both summer and winter weather in E. Washington because it's so much drier. Both the heat and the cold are more bearable.

--- What are some of your opinions of the overall quality of life in Spokane?
--- I am someone who really enjoys the outdoors should I enjoy it there?

Absolutely. Enjoying the outdoors is one of - if not *the* - biggest draw to relocating to Spokane. Nearly any type of activity you want to do is not only possible, but easily accessible. Especially if involves water - there's tons of lakes and rivers around. Every time I'm up there I try to do something - hiking, biking, skiing (snow and water) or boating or something. Honestly if you love the outdoors *and* you love snow and don't mind cloudy winters, there might not be a better city to move to in the country, IMO. SLC is *also* spoiled in this regard, considering the hiking, biking, and snow skiing is right there in the Wasatch Mountains. Spokane's drawbacks come from the urban side. If you're someone that's from a larger city like NYC or Chicago and love the variety, diversity, and constant things to do... Spokane just isn't it. Or if you're from a rural area Spokane can definitely give you a run-down 'gang' vibe in some parts of the city.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:42 PM

Old 07-04-2017, 09:25 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
I think OP has his answer ^.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:19 PM

@Boxkicker that is the exact type of environment I'm looking for when was that picture taken? I assumed it was also taken in Spokane Valley?

if I could have my way I'd have 8 months of winter

Old 07-05-2017, 07:58 AM

Spokane - Spokane Valley...it's the same.

One is further down I-90 going east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area