Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 08:54 AM

32 posts, read 26,572 times

Advertisements

After being born and raised in Spokane, I moved away in 1995 (solely due to career opportunity) and have lived in Vegas for the bulk of that time away. I often miss "home", go back to visit every once in a while and am considering it for retirement. I follow this forum (although there isn't much activity), to try to keep up on things, but most posts talk about how "bad it is". I'm curious to hear from those of you who have lived there 25+ years, what are the biggest changes you have seen? Things you like/dislike? Do you plan to stay/leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 11:15 PM

3 posts, read 5,652 times
Heard it’s more left leaning then ever before.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:54 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
I don't live in Spokane, but visit frequently. I have been shamed on other threads for what some thought were insults to the city, which really were not, but so be it. I will focus on the positives.

The south hill may be one of the most beautiful residential areas in Eastern Washington, if not the entire State. Big oak trees and evergreens, some substantial houses, and a general upscale feel. Likewise, the other side of the hill has some beautiful, newer neighborhoods (most with views), though more expensive than the city generally.

Downtown still feels like a downtown, despite losing some big department stores, but welcome to the 2020's. Riverfront Park is terrific. As a kid I remember my parents driving through there in the early 70's and pointing out what "Skid Row" looks like. How it has become such a beautiful park and community gathering area is a credit to the city.

While Spokane's growth rate is not the highest in the state, there are positive signs. The new Amazon center up on the plateau is a big plus. The tech industry is growing, as it outgrows the Puget Sound region. Spokane Valley is also growing, albeit with a suburban feel. I do see some efforts to make that suburban feel more street friendly, however.

I also am impressed that Spokane has become more interested in the arts such as theater and museums.

Overall, Spokane has more positives than negatives. I personally don't care for the weather, but I know many love the real 4-season climate with few real extremes.

As for politics, generally conservative, but as cities evolve there usually is a lean a bit left. I am not surprised Spokane has followed this curve.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:12 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Well, sad to say one of Spokane's main attractions for me, the White Elephant store, has closed. I really liked that store, good prices on all sorts of outdoor needs. Hunting/shooting, fishing, and toys. I never understood the toy connection till I brought my wife there, while I looked at the outdoor stuff, she looked at toys, and was thus entertained, and so not bugging me to go somewhere else...

Still will visit, but will miss White Elephant.

Old 09-07-2020, 12:58 PM

92 posts, read 87,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter9 View Post
Heard it’s more left leaning then ever before.
which is why it's increasingly popular for younger folks, such as my daughter who has lived there for 20 years, who well understand they are raising their kids to be happy and functional in a multi-cultural world. Those pining for less tolerent will likely find themselves happier further east.

Old 09-09-2020, 01:11 PM

25 posts, read 19,799 times
More tolerant sounds great to us! It sounds like Spokane might be our kind of place to consider.

Old 09-06-2022, 10:32 AM

20 posts, read 25,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlanes View Post
who well understand they are raising their kids to be happy and functional in a multi-cultural world.
Whether you like it...or not.
"Physical Security of Women" goes down the more immigration rises. (WomenStats)
https://ibb.co/Ctfp7fZ
There's a reason why Bezos loves open borders.
And why Obama sent Somalian refugees to the Whites places in the US.
This has been obvious to many for (at least) 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlanes View Post
Those pining for less tolerent [sic] will likely find themselves happier further east.
And further...and further.
Meanwhile, Democrats flee their own mistakes and also "find themselves happier further east."
https://www.opb.org/article/2022/09/...-gun-violence/

And on and on it goes.
Rules for thee but not for me. kek

Old 09-06-2022, 11:04 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Somebody's been drinking the crazy juice!

Based on my experience of visiting relatives over the past decades, Spokane in the late 1970s was pretty grungy. Spokane in the early 2020s seems cleaner and more upscale.

However, poor old Coeur d'Alene has been completely ruined. It used to be so wonderful; now too many people, too many cars, and it just makes me sad.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:14 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, sad to say one of Spokane's main attractions for me, the White Elephant store, has closed. I really liked that store, good prices on all sorts of outdoor needs. Hunting/shooting, fishing, and toys. I never understood the toy connection till I brought my wife there, while I looked at the outdoor stuff, she looked at toys, and was thus entertained, and so not bugging me to go somewhere else...

Still will visit, but will miss White Elephant.
Come to Wenatchee to Hooked on Toys. It isn't the White Elephant, but as close as you can come these days. There must be something that makes business sense to combine toys and sporting goods.

I spent a lot of time in Spokane in the 70's and 80's. It was a great city, particularly in the 80's as it outgrew its working class roots. Haven't been back in several years, but my daughter got a jury summons for the Federal court in Spokane....maybe I will take her place.

Loved staying downtown and seeing the concerts and plays, going out to dinner, and walking around Riverfront Park.....without EVER getting in a car to get from one place to another!!!

Old 12-14-2022, 09:04 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Some may not realize that Spokane is the largest metro area between Seattle and Minneapolis in the northern US. And as I mentioned previously the area feels like a real sturdy traditional city. I don’t care for their weather, but it is a good midsized city to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area