Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 08:53 AM

3 posts, read 5,092 times

Advertisements

So..I have been doing some research for quite a few months now because my boyfriend and I are looking to relocate this summer. I’ve read city-data forums as well as yelp.com and have found mixed information, some of it quite dated. Things are changing every day and so I want to know what’s going on *now*.

To give you some background – I am from South Florida and have lived here my whole life, my boyfriend has lived all over the East and has been in Florida for about 3 years. We would like to move to the West coast and have been looking at the Portland, OR area and Spokane, WA. I may have the opportunity to transfer my current job to a location in Spokane, which is why we have researched that area specifically. Honestly, though, I am not too concerned about that. Based on the information I have seen – right now I’m favoring Porland

What I’m more concerned about is feeling content with where I am at. All in all I think Florida sucks. I have visited many areas but will not have the opportunity to visit OR or WA before we move – we are going to just pack it up and go. We of course have money saved as a cushion for appx. 6 months of living. Also with the research I have done – both Portland and Spokane are cheaper overall than Fort Lauderdale- both areas by more than 17%. So…anyway..getting to the point

Two 24 year olds and a dog (35lb terrier mix..yea she is mixed with pit bull, no she is not aggressive) moving cross country, possibly without jobs but with 6+ years of work experience plus Associate Degrees and money to live off of for about 6 months

Looking for information on the area – likelihood, in your eyes, of succeeding – suggestions of other city/towns in that same region it may be easier/nicer/better suited

PS – Our lifestyles – outdoorsy, movie lovers, play computer games, occasionally go to bars to watch sports, non smokers uhh and I’m not sure what else lol…

Note: This is posted in both Spokane and Portland forums so I can get a good mix of information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 11:49 AM

231 posts, read 1,081,599 times
Well, your post provides some helpful background information but is a little light on what you're looking for in your new city. Why are you favoring Portland at this point?

Moving without a job at this point is pretty risky no matter where you go. I'm fairly certain that Portland has a higher unemployment rate than Spokane but neither place is really hot for jobs. Of course, it depends on which industry you work in. Personally, the chance to move

Your list of things you like would seem to fit with both places. Both Spokane and Portland have good access to outdoor activities. Portland is relatively close to the coast whereas Spokane has access to many very nice lakes. Portland is more of a rainy season/dry season climate with warm/hot summers and relatively mild but wet winters. Spokane is a four season climate. I suppose computer games can be played anywhere. You'll get a wider variety of movies in Portland and the Kennedy School is a pretty nice place to catch a movie. Both places would work for watching sports. Portland has an NBA team and soon an MLS team. Spokane is more college/minor league focused with Gonzaga bball, arena football, minor league baseball and hockey (same league as Portland). Spokane really gets behind community wide sporting events like Bloomsday and Hoopfest.

Portland is a bigger city but not a really big city. Portland has a pretty strong indie vibe and draws lots of people in their early 20s looking for that type of scene. A plus if you want a larger pool of people to hang out with or a minus if you're going to be competing for the relatively few jobs available. Portland has some nice walkable neighborhoods and a pretty good transit system.

Spokane is smaller than Portland but is a regional city. If you will only be happy in a large metropolitan area neither Spokane nor Portland is likely to cut it for you. Spokane is a little more laid back do to its size and is more evenly balanced in terms of its vibe. There is certainly an indie type scene but it is smaller than what you'll find in Portland. Wheras Portland is very left leaning, Spokane is more centrist.

Spokane will be a bit cheaper in terms of housing but the pay scale in Portland is a bit higher. Oregon also has income tax, which can take a large bite of your pay if you are earning towards the higher end of the salary range.

If you provide a bit more information on what you value in a city and what you're looking for, I and others here can try and be more specific. If you can transfer your job to Spokane, my advice would be to take that route in the current economic environment and then use Spokane as a base to explore Portland and the northwest. If you like Portland better it will be easier to plan a move there from Spokane. If you move to Portland with no jobs and don't like it you may find yourself in a difficult situation.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times
Ahh, Spokane...Craigue Avenue...74 worlds fair...the Inland Empire...the old Ridpath hotel and resturant...(use to eat there as a child)
People would never guess to 10,000 years that I'm from that area...

If you like cold weather and defined seasons...you'll be ok with Spokane...and there's a big Air-Force base there also...
If you like skiing, hiking, camping...all that awaits you...and you'll only be about a 5 hours drive from Seattle and the whole beautiful Pudget sound area...

But the landscape is totally different...totally....you don't have all the swampy tree terrain, as in Florida...South of Spokane you mainly have Wheatfields...rolling wheat and lental fields...like an ocean of wheat in the summer and fall...it's actually beautiful...but hope you don't have allergies...

Summers are wonderful up there...but to them 65 degrees is a hot day...and the water parks open when it's like in the 50's....

sky's are clear and blue...air's fresh...at least as I remember it...
And Spokane...let me see if I can compare it to a Florida city or town...hmmm....I really can't...it's an Iland onto itself...That's why it's Spokane...which was named after a indian tribe...

Anyhow...best of luck...

Old 01-29-2010, 05:15 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Ahh, Spokane...Craigue Avenue..
*Sprague Avenue.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:45 PM

36 posts, read 110,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Ahh, Spokane...

Summers are wonderful up there...but to them 65 degrees is a hot day...and the water parks open when it's like in the 50's....

Okay, this is just wrong. In Spokane, 65 degrees is in no way considered hot. Yes, after a colder winter, 65 feels really great, but there is no one out with their swim trunks on and going down the waterslides.

The summers are often in the 80s and 90s with some 100s occasionally. These are truly the days when the water parks are open. Add to it the really clear lakes and streams, and you will absolutely see people out enjoying all that nature has to offer.

I have lived in both Portland and Spokane, and they are very different. Portland is a much larger city and costs considerably more to live in. If you are in your mid 20s and enjoy the more urban lifestyle close to nature, then Portland is probably more for you. If, as you say, you enjoy staying at home playing games, movies, outdoorsy, and going to bars to watch sports, that is absolutely a Spokane way of life. There is tons of skiing and hiking, fishing, swimming, hunting, rock climbing, biking areas in Spokane. Portland offers that as well but is more expensive.

I have to be honest, I have heard that Portland is having a very difficult time with jobs, and Spokane is not much better. I think Portland probably has the infrastructure to come back, but with the state income tax, you will definitely have a bit taken out of your paycheck.

Both are really wonderful places to live, and I think you will and can enjoy both, but having a job ahead of time is probably the smartest move in either case.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:44 AM

438 posts, read 1,797,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinersfan View Post
Okay, this is just wrong. In Spokane, 65 degrees is in no way considered hot. Yes, after a colder winter, 65 feels really great, but there is no one out with their swim trunks on and going down the waterslides.
No, that would however be the Seattle area! It gets above 60 here and you see all sorts of people in all states of undress. :~) D

Old 08-03-2010, 08:54 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,797 times
Hey NicoCzo, welcome to the site!

I am also from south Florida, grew up there, moved away and tried to move back in 2001-HATED IT!!! I agree with Canada-4-life55 to some degree.
I know what you are going through, we went through the same thing when we left there the last time in 01. We packed up and headed over to Port Angeles, sight unseen. It worked out for me, but not my husband. I got my RN degree here and landed a fantastic job. No good jobs for a mechanic/welder. The companies here seem to use and abuse their employees. Low pay, low benies..
Port Angeles is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! very moderate temps.
Why not look into Bellingham or outside of Seattle. Very beautiful also! Numerous outdoors and indoor activities..
Depending on both of your occupations, I can't suggest beautiful P.A. Not too many jobs here.
My brother lives in Spokane and is very experienced in mgmt and mechanics, and can't seem to find work. He is pretty bummed there.
He loved to snowboard in the winters but lift tics have gone up and last winter was bad for skiers. He says that the 100 degree summers and icy winters are getting old!
Here on the Olympic Peninsula, we don't get that! We are a bit wet though.....cold, gray, but GREAT for computer gaming!!!!
Home prices are great.
I would love to babysit your doggie 4 ya!!!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 08:11 AM

470 posts, read 1,036,927 times
Spokane is not for the under 30 crowd unless you are in a higher paying medical career like nursing. Don't let them sweet talk you with low cost of living. The cost of living here is very low but jobs pay ever lower. Lets be clear that the housing market in no way reflects the local salaries. You will be renters for most of your lives here with how low the wages are. Washington state as a whole pays much less than national average wages. To beat the bottom feeders to the punch though, it does have the highest minimum wage in the country at $8.55/hr. My vote would be either Portland or stay east. I'm heading east myself in 22 days now.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:22 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
For job prospects I'd choose Portland over Spokane any day -- Spokane can be tough at times for professionals when it comes to jobs. Portland would offer more career opportunities that any bigger cities offers I would think.

Taxes -- Yes, Oregon has income tax but Washington is considered a high tax state by many. They get you in other ways - high sales tax (OR has NO Sales Tax), high property taxes, B&O taxes, gas tax etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area