Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:11 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,531,251 times

Advertisements

Is Cheerleading a Sport? Not According to One Connecticut Judge - Law Blog - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 12:16 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,409,437 times
Yes. My opinion is no less valid than some judge, hence it's a sport.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:22 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,888,060 times
Well, nowadays, it seems to be more now. Because of the acrobatic moves and manuevers they do nowadays.

We didn't do any of those when I was a kid in high school. Back then, it was never that athletic or considered a sport. It was more dancing and cheering/chanting back then than it is now. I think it would be consider a sport nowadays.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:32 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,951,765 times
Man am I going to get crushed for this one.. but... since the question was asked:

According to my dictionary (Webster's Collegiate - 11th Ed.), it is considered sport because of two definitions that state: "a source of diversion" and "physical activity engaged in for pleasure." Of course by those definitions, the following would also be considered a sport: sex, picking your nose (ears), snapping your fingers, whistling a song, etc.

However, I would not consider cheerleading a sport because of two reasons:

1) You are not engaged against an opponent to "win" at the end of the event, and;

2) There is no scoring/points for cheerleading; therefore, there is no winner

This speaks only to cheerleading at another sporting event, not those that are competitive cheerleaders who travel to competitions and events of those sorts.

And... that is not to say that cheerleaders are not athletes, either. They are, indeed, required to stay in very good physical shape and the routines can be quite physically rigorous. But I can think of no other sport where they don't keep score and have a winner (or tie) at the end of the event. Even in something like mountain climbing, there is a winner (first one to the top).

Old 07-23-2010, 12:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,354,636 times
As much as gymnastics, ice skating, etc. It takes strength, agility and a great sense of timing.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:11 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
Only in America

Old 07-25-2010, 05:35 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
i don't consider it a sport, however appreciate that you do have to be fit and acrobatic etc.

as rathagos said, when they are 'cheerleading' at another sporting event, IMO that is all they are doing. The spectators is not there for them.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
i don't consider it a sport, however appreciate that you do have to be fit and acrobatic etc.

as rathagos said, when they are 'cheerleading' at another sporting event, IMO that is all they are doing. The spectators is not there for them.
You ever been to an NFL game? I beg to differ. I am being a little fascetious, but not much.

You should see the guys go absolutely GAGA when the cheerleaders are right under our section in the 4th QTR. In some ways I wish they wouldn't have them stand there....as it distracts the fans...and often times, WE need crowd noise to finish out a game.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:02 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
You ever been to an NFL game? I beg to differ. I am being a little fascetious, but not much.

You should see the guys go absolutely GAGA when the cheerleaders are right under our section in the 4th QTR. In some ways I wish they wouldn't have them stand there....as it distracts the fans...and often times, WE need crowd noise to finish out a game.
ha ha I thought I might get that response.

i am sure there are men who like their eye to wander from the field - but on the whole they're paying to watch the game, right?!

maybe because I am a girl - but really, what's the big deal? It's like the assumption I like aussie rules because of the tight shorts...

who is "WE"?

Old 07-25-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
ha ha I thought I might get that response.

i am sure there are men who like their eye to wander from the field - but on the whole they're paying to watch the game, right?!

maybe because I am a girl - but really, what's the big deal? It's like the assumption I like aussie rules because of the tight shorts...

who is "WE"?
We is the AZ Cardinals. I can't really say that the Cards cheerleaders are athletes...but what like the Sun Devils do and the dance teams do, is.

I'm not one of the clowns that stares just because a woman is half naked. But I'd be insane to say that they are not a major part of an NFL football game. ALso, they have cheerleading competitions and stuff...and it looks like it is just as tough as any gymnastics or ice skating competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports