Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:08 PM

17 posts, read 17,167 times

Advertisements

Unbelievable. Lebron chokes and quits in the Playoffs and is arrogant. Watch the interview tonight he mentioned about 10 times all the things he did for cleveland and didnt even deliver them a title. Contrast that with Drew brees who brought New orleans a title, and didnt take credit at all ...

YouTube - Drew Brees: "New Orleans Saved Me"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 08:32 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,003,650 times
I dont follow the NBA so take this for what you will. But, one player cannot deliver a title to any team in any sport. Key word in that sentence is team. Players do not win championships, teams win championships.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:01 AM

8,982 posts, read 17,302,746 times
Drew Brees is a great guy. He has done good for Purdue. I still like the guy, even though he beat the Colts last February.

I don't care much for using Drew to put Lebron down. Lebron is 25 and still growing, Drew is 31 years old and never had the type of hype and expectations Lebron does. Two completely different age brackets, histories, and sports. Apples and oranges.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:02 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,231,385 times
and brees was a guy who was losing his job in SD and pretty much getting moved out of town

the saints did offer him a great opportunity

it's not like the cavs did lebron great favors by drafting him ... it's not like he was sweating it out wondering if he was going to get a shot to play in the NBA

in his 7 years there they went from having the #1 overall pick to playing in an NBA championship and having the best record in the league over the past 2 years

Old 07-12-2010, 05:30 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,176,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I dont follow the NBA so take this for what you will. But, one player cannot deliver a title to any team in any sport. Key word in that sentence is team. Players do not win championships, teams win championships.
Yeah, but Larry Bird shows one player in basketball can take a team a lot farther than LeBron ever did. Now the NBA has better players than college basketball, but I dare say Lebron had a lot better supporting cast on Cavaliers than Bird did at Indiana State.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:44 AM

really??! - keep in mind you don't make the NBA unless you are either a foreign superstar or a collegiate superstar

there are individual players in college who can carry teams to very good success and then go onto nice pro careers .... doesn't mean you can carry a pro team full of adult professionals

you absolutely cannot compare the two

Old 07-13-2010, 06:36 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,176,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
there are individual players in college who can carry teams to very good success and then go onto nice pro careers .... doesn't mean you can carry a pro team full of adult professionals
The difference is most of the guys who played on the Cavaliers could probably play on most other teams in the NBA. The guys who played at Indiana State that year other than Larry Bird couldn't have warmed the bench at a major college basketball program.

Or look at it this way. Would LeBron have had to carry the Cavaliers to get to (not win just get to) the NBA or conference finals? Yeah, but then most teams that aren't "dynasties" have a player that has to do that. Karl Malone did it with Jazz. Reggie Miller did it with the Pacers. Folks who actually follow the NBA can probably name others. These guys were great players, but no one's ever going to accuse the Mailman of being the best to play the game. Meanwhile LeBron is supposed to be a legitimate contender to be the best ever, but has he ever got to the conference or NBA finals (eh maybe I don't know, I don't really follow the NBA)?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:33 AM

Doesn't matter though ... the talent difference is that great.

You put an NBA hall of famer on a HS team there is a good chance they could win against a college team without NBA prospects ... even if none of the other HS players could sniff collegiate ball at any level.

I absolutely love larry bird - probably my 2nd favorite player ever behind oscar robertson. He's a difference maker for sure, but he wasn't going to carry an NBA team to the top heights. Not a single player in NBA history has done that.

I think my favorite player in Oscar shows this as well. Only guy to average a triple double, but didn't really have consistent, great team success until he played with a young guy by the name of Lew Alcindor. This was Lew in his pre-kareem glory and oscar in the twilight of his career but they pulled in a title.

Karl Malone played most of his career with HOF PG John Stockton. Not a bad duo at all. They also had some decent supporting cast players with guys like Hornacek. They also had some hard luck. They lost 3 times in the conference finals and then had the misfortune of playing the bulls the 2 times they made it to the title game.

Reggie Miller also had his best success when he had his best supporting casts. If anything a couple of those pacer teams underacheived for their talent. They had some young guys who couldn't pull their heads out. Reggie now recounts those days as some of his biggest professional failures, not getting more out of them and getting them to realize how fleeting the opportunity can be.

You also have to consider that it was 30 years ago and prep ball has changed a ton since then.

Lebron has gotten to the NBA finals and conference finals on a separate occasion.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,003,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Lebron has gotten to the NBA finals and conference finals on a separate occasion.
How does that work being that you have to play in the Conference Finals to advance to the NBA Finals.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:47 AM

very simply

He made it to the NBA finals which also assumes a trip to the conference finals

On a separate occasion from their NBA finals run they made it to the conference finals and lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports