Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:57 PM

427 posts, read 550,235 times

Advertisements

Two old bowlers having a drink and a chat at the bar after their bowling game..."You certainly played well today. How does it feel to be 84 years old?"

"Just like a newborn baby. No hair, no teeth, and I've just wet myself."
Attached Images

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 07:02 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,080,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y'all smile now! Grandpa? View Post
Ok, good. Mika Koivuniemi beat Tom Smallwood 269 to 207.

Wanted him to win, especially after his 299 game.

Can't feel too sorry for Smallwood though. 100 grand for runner up sure ain't bad! Heck, forth place got 40 grand. Either way, I think I'd be a fairly happy loser!

Still would have preferred to see Walter Ray in the finals and win it, since he's never won the t of c. And it would have been nice to see Pete Webber there also. And Chris Barnes!
I am a Petey fan, but was first a Marshall Holman (The Medford Meteor) fan growing up. Too bad his attitude on the lanes cost him a few tournaments, cause he really is a nice guy off the lanes.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:36 PM

Well, I guess for me growing up it was always Dick Weber. Then around that time i'd root for any old pro that had alot of success in their career but not lately, then all of a sudden would pop up on a pro bowling telecast.

My next big two would be Earl and Walter Ray.

But on a more serious note!!.....Perhaps many of you bowlers ( and non also!) are aware of the passing of fitness guru Jack LaLanne.

Ok I'll admit, to live to 96 is quite the accomplisment! However....

To live to that magic number 100 is I'm sure something he was looking forward to. And why did he not quite make it?? Hmmmm.... need I even say why?? Because the man was not a bowler!!

Well, atleast I don't think he was!

Meet Bill Hargrove, who in 2008 died at 106 yrs old and at the time was the worlds oldest league bowler!!
Attached Thumbnails
Any bowlers out there??-13362391.jpg  

Old 02-02-2011, 06:55 PM

Ok, lets get this thread back towards the top. Threre we go!

First, don't know if any of you saw it, but i'm still a bit bumed with Pete Webers bad shot in the 10th frame in that PBA Earl Anthony tournament. I mean, as long as he's been on the tour, over 30 yrs, and as many times he's been on tv, was that really a nervous shot?

Well, guess it was fitting that a lefty won the event though.

Remember folks-bowling is a sport for people who have talent to spare.

I think I may need to do what I think my dad did way back when-He joined a drinking team with a bowling problem!

Well, maybe not!
Attached Thumbnails
Any bowlers out there??-bowling03.gif  

Old 02-04-2011, 04:37 PM

Super Bowl. Super Bowl. What the heck is a super bowl?? Oh, wait, I get it! I think what it really is referring to is.......SUPER BOWLING!!

Just has to be.

And speaking of bowling, did y'all know that there are approx. 50 million bowlers in America?

33% are adult women and 32% are adult men, and the rest young folk.

6 million are real serious and compete in leagues.

Average age is 28. 43% are business executives, managers, or professionals.

60% went to college, 76% are married. 75% own their own home.

And "they" also say that bowlers have an average IQ of 129.

Find it a bit hard to believe though that there are more women bowlers than men. I'd challenge that but I ain't sure, ya know, with my IQ and all!!
Keep up the super bowling!!
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,080,558 times
The Masters this week..........Go Pete!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
The Masters this week..........Go Pete!!!!!!!!!
Well sir, allow me to retort!

So after 9 games, Mr. Weber, and I assume you were talking about him, is in 15th place with a 220.22 average.

Walter Ray, on the other hand, is in 182nd place with an avg of 191.22!!

But, being the defending champion, he advances directly to match play as the #64 seed!!

But that won't work for the US open coming up!

So Patsfan, are you currently on a league, and I'm curious what kind of ball you use??
Attached Thumbnails
Any bowlers out there??-k1687808.jpg  

Old 02-10-2011, 06:23 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
Bowling would be more appealing for me, at least where I now live, it it wasn't so dang costly....they consider 3 bucks a cheap deal and 5 bucks a game a normal deal. That may be ok, if you're with 3 or 4 pals, but if you're alone....well, takes me maybe 10 to 15 minutes to bowl a game....15 bucks for 3 games, done in 45 minutes?
At least on a golf course, (for 9 holes and usually the same price or less) you can be in nice weather and it takes more like 1.5 to 2 hours, if you're alone.

Last edited by beenhereandthere; 02-10-2011 at 07:48 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 07:19 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
A local alley by us does a special on Sunday nights where you can rent a lane for an hour for like 25 bucks. Its a pretty good deal since if its only 3-4 of you its only a couple bucks a person...It doesn't hurt that they also have 1 dollar drafts that night

Old 02-10-2011, 07:48 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
A local alley by us does a special on Sunday nights where you can rent a lane for an hour for like 25 bucks. Its a pretty good deal since if its only 3-4 of you its only a couple bucks a person...It doesn't hurt that they also have 1 dollar drafts that night
Confused...if it's 25 bucks an hour and they're 4 of you and you bowl 3games....since that's how long it would take for 4 people to bowl 4 games using the same lane (maybe 90 minutes) so let's say 12.50 for the extra 1/2 hour....that's about 10 dollars....which is 37.50/4....may be ok...about 3 to 4 bucks a game, but anything more than 3 bucks a game, I have a hard time with, unless I'm in a group.....
seems to me, the only decent time to bowl, as far as costs go, is during the summer, then, most of the time, prices a slashed by up to 1/2....since who wants to be inside (in most of the country) during that time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports