Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 10:13 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,253,880 times

Advertisements

I should note that even though I'm disappointed that Djokovic lost, I am glad that if he was going to lose that it was del Potro, a very good player from South America, who beat him. Because Delpo has had so many injuries and is playing not too far from home in the Olympics, I'd love to see him make a run now that Djoker is out (except maybe if Delpo plays Steve Johnson; it is the Olympics after all and I am from the U.S.). It wouldn't quite like be like Murray winning Olympic gold in London, but seeing an Argentine like Delpo win in the first summer Olympics held in South America would be kind of similar. I'd expect most of the crowds will be behind him unless he plays someone like Brazilian Thomaz Bellucci.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 05:54 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,013,565 times
Djoker has pulled out of Cincy:

Djokovic Withdraws From Cincinnati | ATP World Tour | Tennis

Not a bad decision, esp with a niggling injury, he has played a lot of tennis and needs to be at peak form for a good crack at a 3rd USO title.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:53 PM

It is disappointing that Djokovic isn't playing Cincinnati, the only Masters event he hasn't won. Of course, the fact Federer also will not play there reduces the attractiveness of this year's Western and Southern Open too.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:00 PM

Andy Murray and Juan Martin del Potro will play for the gold medal at the Summer Olympics. Murray easily defeated Kei Nishikori, while Delpo edged Rafael Nadal in 3 sets with the last set decided by a tiebreak. Nadal and Nishikori will square off for the bronze medal.

I'll be pulling hard for Delpo to win gold in the first Olympics held on his home South American continent.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:47 AM

490 posts, read 683,199 times
Tennis story of the year must surely be Monica Puig.

The women's Olympic final was a great match, played in the kind of atmosphere rarely seen at the slams. She is Puerto Rico's 1st gold medal winner in any sport and an instant national icon.

I loved the way she kept looking at her medal while on the podium, just to check it was really happening.

The men's final is a must watch too. Delpo's form is a revelation, and with the south American crowd behind him he just might do it. He will have beaten the top 3 seeds if he does.

As a Brit though, I really want to see Murray become the 1st player to defend their Olympic title.

Should be a great match.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
Tennis story of the year must surely be Monica Puig.

The women's Olympic final was a great match, played in the kind of atmosphere rarely seen at the slams. She is Puerto Rico's 1st gold medal winner in any sport and an instant national icon.

I loved the way she kept looking at her medal while on the podium, just to check it was really happening.

The men's final is a must watch too. Delpo's form is a revelation, and with the south American crowd behind him he just might do it. He will have beaten the top 3 seeds if he does.

As a Brit though, I really want to see Murray become the 1st player to defend their Olympic title.

Should be a great match.
Will be the ultimate Cinderella story if Delpo can win it.
But imo his run will come to an end here. (esp as the final is best of 5, while all lead up matches were best of 3).
Regardless, whoever wins, we will have a historic result. (Delpo gets his 1st or Murray becomes the 1st to get 2, since tennis was reintroduced to the Olympics).

Old 08-15-2016, 09:34 PM

Serena Williams makes a last minute decision to withdraw from Cincinnati. She was actually practicing on-site when she withdrew (and had accepted a wild-card to get into the field), so it appears she wanted to play the tournament but clearly felt she wasn't feeling right.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:40 PM

Well done to Cilic defeating Murray for his first Masters title in Cincy:

Cilic Claims First Masters 1000 Crown In Cincy | ATP World Tour | Tennis

This is also his first significant title since the 2014 USO run.

In the meantime Murray is the form player on the tour right now, and breathing down Djoker's neck on the eve of next weeks USO:

Murray Chases Djokovic For Race Lead | ATP World Tour | Tennis

Old 08-26-2016, 05:15 PM

US Open draw is now out, on the Official Site of the 2016 US Open Tennis Championships - A USTA Event website.

Draws | 2016 US Open Official Site - A USTA Event

Old 08-30-2016, 10:30 PM

Murray and Djoker into the 2nd round.
Goffin is the 1st top 16 seed to go, and Tomic at 17th seed has also been stunned in the 1st round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports