Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:37 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,053,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
My ignorance is exceeded by your ugliness.
Haha you sound like a 5 year old now.
Look into the mirror, isn't it scary?

Old 08-18-2016, 09:43 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,376,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Haha you sound like a 5 year old now.
Look into the mirror, isn't it scary?
No. I like to watch myself laugh at coolies.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:46 PM

42,006 posts, read 75,385,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Does it really matter? American broadcasters broadcasting to an American audience.
This. I appreciate the NBC announcers calculating meters and millimeters into feet and inches for me. If I'm watching sports on TV, math is the least of the exercises I want to put my brain through.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:49 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,053,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This. I appreciate the NBC announcers calculating meters and millimeters into feet and inches for me. If I'm watching sports on TV, math is the least of the exercises I want to put my brain through.
The point is, if you are not typically into the sports, you probably do not know what the results are supposed to be anyway. So there is no big difference for you.
For those who are into the sports, meters and millimeters are always used, even if they are American athletes. They memorize the world records etc. in meters.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:11 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,150,053 times
and what's with all the English being spoken on these telecasts anyways!?

Old 08-18-2016, 10:51 PM

30,721 posts, read 18,367,540 times
Quote:
The point is, if you are not typically into the sports, you probably do not know what the results are supposed to be anyway. So there is no big difference for you.
For those who are into the sports, meters and millimeters are always used, even if they are American athletes. They memorize the world records etc. in meters.
I disagree. If you're not typically into sports, the translation to feet is even more of a help, especially as an American (and, given that this is an American broadcaster, that's really what matters here). As for not knowing what the results are "supposed to mean" in terms of significance of the results, etc., that's what the commentators are there to help for.

On another note, as one who ran high school track in the States, I can say that we do not use metric measurements for every event; the sprints are uniformly in meters, but the field events (i.e. long jump, shot put, triple jump, etc.) are in feet. At least that's how things were back on the east coast/NYC (that may even be the case in college track in the US, but I'm not sure).

Old 08-18-2016, 11:01 PM

509 posts, read 556,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Maybe it's about time the rest of the world got rid of meters. Maybe then they'd win more medals.

*snort

Old 08-18-2016, 11:37 PM

10,375 posts, read 10,714,755 times
Quote:
Jumping, shot put etc. are all in feet and inches. How stupid is that? The ONLY country on earth.

Fortunately they did not convert 400m to 1/4 miles.
A 1/4 mile is 402.336 meters, so they should've said approximately a quarter mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I disagree. If you're not typically into sports, the translation to feet is even more of a help, especially as an American (and, given that this is an American broadcaster, that's really what matters here). As for not knowing what the results are "supposed to mean" in terms of significance of the results, etc., that's what the commentators are there to help for.

On another note, as one who ran high school track in the States, I can say that we do not use metric measurements for every event; the sprints are uniformly in meters, but the field events (i.e. long jump, shot put, triple jump, etc.) are in feet. At least that's how things were back on the east coast/NYC (that may even be the case in college track in the US, but I'm not sure).
We are slowly getting more comfortable with the metric system since distances in swimming and track are now in meters, and most items sold in stores have both measurements. When I was in high school, we still ran the 440, 880 and the mile. It is harder for Americans to deal with track distance measurements in the metric system. After being around track and field events since the late 1960s, I have a frame of reference for all the throwing and jumping events. I know that someone jumping over 7 feet is pretty good. But when I hear that the winning jump in the high jump was 2.29 meters, it doesn't mean much. I have to do a conversion, which is not easy to convert to feet and inches in your head to get a precise number. 7.51 feet is not the same as knowing the winning jump was 7'6".

Old 08-19-2016, 12:54 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,875,284 times
Quote:
Jumping, shot put etc. are all in feet and inches...The ONLY country on earth.

You forgot Liberia.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:50 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,755,168 times
Another Trump supporter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports