Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:52 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Hmm, maybe I need begin a new thread of women's singles players. I can't even watch the men, as just getting back into tennis & they're not set in my mind yet. But it seems there's a lack of luster on here re women's champs. Hmm. I liked Federer from yrs ago but he seems to fallen into disfavor amongst folks on here.

Anywho, just thought I'd drop in to see if anything new but seems it is still all men's tennis -- devoid of the ladies matches. Ok, keep postin'.
Yeah sorry, I don't really watch the women's tour. I used to know more about it but there are a lot of players I haven't heard of. I like Halep though. Back in the day Clijsters was my favorite.
The reason we are talking about Nadal so much is that myself and swayalot are Nadal fans. Derek is a Djokovic fan.

I love Federer too. But Nadal is my favorite player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 07:15 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:
Hmm, maybe I need begin a new thread of women's singles players. I can't even watch the men, as just getting back into tennis & they're not set in my mind yet. But it seems there's a lack of luster on here re women's champs. Hmm. I liked Federer from yrs ago but he seems to fallen into disfavor amongst folks on here.

Anywho, just thought I'd drop in to see if anything new but seems it is still all men's tennis -- devoid of the ladies matches. Ok, keep postin'.
I like Halep out of the women's, although I don't follow it as closely as the men's, here's hoping she can get her 1st slam after the disappointment at the French.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:10 AM

10,767 posts, read 4,349,095 times
My 2 favorite female players of all-time are Hingis and Ostapenko.
They are the only female players that I've ever wanted to see win titles.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:27 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times
Hey thx guys for the women's players talk.

I'm way oldschool, so date back to Ilie Nastase & Connors & Billie Jean & Martina & even Bobby Riggs' days. Yes, Hingis was a great player & Ostapenko (from Latvia -- & so my mom's side is from Lithuania, thus v closely related) & so I like her. I'm 1/2 polish so Radawanska & of course, gorgeous Caroline Woz -- are favs of mine by virtue of Pollocks, lol.

Ok, let's keep balance & parity on here & have men's & ladies' matches discussed if poss. Thx again tho to all making this thread well worth reading w/ great insights & analysis.

I think alltime ladies fav for me is tho: Gabriela Sabatini! Wow, what a beautiful lady & not-s-bad tenny player I might add. You se I'm partial to Italian players -- & Giorgi is the best lookin gal at Wimbledon '17 overall IMHO.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Hey thx guys for the women's players talk.

I'm way oldschool, so date back to Ilie Nastase & Connors & Billie Jean & Martina & even Bobby Riggs' days. Yes, Hingis was a great player & Ostapenko (from Latvia -- & so my mom's side is from Lithuania, thus v closely related) & so I like her. I'm 1/2 polish so Radawanska & of course, gorgeous Caroline Woz -- are favs of mine by virtue of Pollocks, lol.

Ok, let's keep balance & parity on here & have men's & ladies' matches discussed if poss. Thx again tho to all making this thread well worth reading w/ great insights & analysis.

I think alltime ladies fav for me is tho: Gabriela Sabatini! Wow, what a beautiful lady & not-s-bad tenny player I might add. You se I'm partial to Italian players -- & Giorgi is the best lookin gal at Wimbledon '17 overall IMHO.
Hopefully Ostapenko and Venus Williams win their 4th Round matches, so they'll meet in the QF.
I never watched women's tennis in the 1980s.
Hingis brought me into women's tennis in the mid90s.
But I was watching men's tennis since the 1980s.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:09 PM

Muller def. Nadal
6-3 6-4 3-6 4-6 15-13

Total Points Won:
Nadal 198
Muller 191

Break Point Conversion:
Muller 3/8
Nadal 2/16

Aces:
Muller 30
Nadal 23

Double Faults:
Muller 10
Nadal 2

Winners-Unforced Errors:
Muller 95-52
Nadal 77-17

Old 07-10-2017, 02:36 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Bad luck to Nadal, but congrats to Muller for making it through to QFs after many years at the All England Club:

Marathon man Muller sends Nadal crashing out - The Championships, Wimbledon 2017 - Official Site by IBM

Andy Murray holds onto the Number 1 spot as a result as well, and could be the first currently slamless Number 1 in a while if he does not defend his title at Wimbledon.
Federer beat his namesake Baby Fed, and Cilic and Raonic are through. Thiem has lost to old stager and perennial chaser Berdych.
Djoker has to wait until tomorrow to play.
Some upsets on the women's side with Kerber losing to Muguruza. Wozniaki crashing out and Radwanska losing to veteran Kuznetsova.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:40 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,789 times
Not overly surprised about Nadal but I did think he would take this after forcing a fifth. Had some of his passing shots been there, he would have won this. Oh well. I hope he continues his good form into the hardcourt season because I do think he can contend for the US Open if his serve keeps up.

Murray handled Paire rather well and moved well also. I still think he's a good bet to defend his title. Federer hasn't really been challenged yet.

Always glad to see a Kuznetsova win, I've always liked her for her powerful game.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:40 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
It was kind of ridiculous the Wimbledon organizers didn't move the Djokovic/Mannarino match to Centre Court after the Federer/Dimitrov match ended.

On the women's side, watch out for Kuznetsova.

Incidentally, I have to agree that Camila Giorgi is very easy on the eyes. I saw her play in person at last year's Citi Open in DC (which I'll be attending again this year in a few weeks - bought a full week pass again).

Old 07-10-2017, 09:46 PM

939 posts, read 506,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
It was kind of ridiculous the Wimbledon organizers didn't move the Djokovic/Mannarino match to Centre Court after the Federer/Dimitrov match ended.
I just never will get tennis. Matches going 4+ hours aren't uncommon; not enough time and venues allotted to ensure matches don't get put off by a day is absurd; now rest is an issue for the Djokovic/Mannarino winner for no good reason, not to mention fans have to alter their plans. Sorry, but not using a tie breaker for the 5th set is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of in any sport; its good enough in every other set and good enough for the vast majority of tournaments in every set. Suddenly we need a 5th set drainer to go potentially much longer?? You need to break the opponent's serve to win in a tie breaker. I don't understand why that isn't good enough in a few select tournaments. The Super Bowl doesn't extend quarters from 15 to 20 minutes long. The NCAA Final Four doesn't suddenly becomes two 30 minute halves instead of 20 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports