Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 02:46 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,970,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I love watching the Winter Olympics but I guess I am an outlier because I find figure skating very boring. The routines are way too long, and the skaters spend most of the time circling around backwards and doing a jump once in a while. I tried becoming more educated about the sport, but still can't tell one jump from another, they all look about the same.
There are two types of jumps, edge jumps and toe jumps. The type of jump depends on the edge that is used by the foot that is on the ice, and whether or not a toe is used for propulsion off of the ice. Skate blades have two edges, inside and outside, with a hollow in between. When school figures were a part of competition, the two edges were instrumental for executing proper technique, because you never skate with both edges on the ice at the same time.Even with the absence of figures as a competitive event, proper edge technique is still important for proper execution of spins and jumps.

The toe jumps use the toe picks of one foot as a pole vault to propel the skater into the air. The skater either lands on the same foot that was on the ice, or on the opposite foot.

Edge jumps do not use a toe, they use the strength of the leg muscles for propulsion. One reason Tara Lipinski had such a short amateur career was because she was the first skater to do a triple loop-triple loop combo, which involves taking off and landing an edge jump on the same foot, holding that edge and taking off that same leg for a second of the same jump. She badly injured her hip muscles from practicing that combo.

Axel - takes off from a forward inside edge, lands on a back outside edge on the opposite foot (FYI ALL jumps will land on a BOE)
Loop - takes off from a back outside edge, no toe used to vault, land on the same foot
Salchow - same as a Loop, only you take off from one foot on a BIE and land on the other foot

Lutz - takes off from a back outside edge, vaults off the toe of the free foot (the one not on the ice), lands on the opposite foot -
Flip - same as the Lutz, but takes off from a back inside edge
Toe Loop - takes off from a back outside edge, uses the toe of the free leg to vault, lands on the same foot
Toe Walley - same as the Toe Loop, only from a back inside edge - you don't see too many of this jump

There are also two terms you may hear mentioned:

a "Flutz" is a Lutz where the skater switches to the BIE right before takeoff, and a 'Lip" is a Flip jump where the skater switches to a BOE right before takeoff. You get marked down for those, although back in the old days of the 6.0 judging system and no technical caller or instant replay lots of skaters got away with cheating on Lutzes. You don't see too many "lips" because of the flip's less difficult takeoff. The Lutz and the Axel are the two hardest jumps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 04:06 PM

14,379 posts, read 11,788,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Axel - takes off from a forward inside edge, lands on a back outside edge on the opposite foot (FYI ALL jumps will land on a BOE)
Loop - takes off from a back outside edge, no toe used to vault, land on the same foot
Salchow - same as a Loop, only you take off from one foot on a BIE and land on the other foot

Lutz - takes off from a back outside edge, vaults off the toe of the free foot (the one not on the ice), lands on the opposite foot -
Flip - same as the Lutz, but takes off from a back inside edge
Toe Loop - takes off from a back outside edge, uses the toe of the free leg to vault, lands on the same foot
Toe Walley - same as the Toe Loop, only from a back inside edge - you don't see too many of this jump
Thanks. I know that the jumps are all technically different to perform, and certainly difficult and I'm not dismissing that at all. Just saying that to a layman who is not really into paying attention to forward inside and backward outside edges and what not, they pretty much all look like similar spinning jumps. And most things that are not spinning jumps are other kinds of spinning moves.

I was a gymnast and then gymnastics coach and I can identify details of gymnastics skills that go right by the average viewer. So I know that I'm not fully appreciating the figure skating; that fault is in me. At the same time, there is definitely a limit to the number of different moves that can be performed on skates (there's a lot more variety in gymnastics). And I'm not particularly interested in costumes, music, and dancing, so those don't draw me either.

I don't hate figure skating, I just find it a little dull to watch. Especially the long program, which is WAY too long. I guess I have a short attention span and I would rather watch other events. Seems like the more prevalent opinion about the Winter Games is to be indifferent to everything else but love figure skating.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:32 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,131,722 times
agree that the skating can seem too long, I have suggested to some of the IOC members that they consider putting 6 or 8 skaters/pairs out at one time to speed things up a bit but not implemented as of yet.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:55 PM

29,531 posts, read 22,757,012 times
I don't find figure skating boring at all.

In fact it is one of my favorite sports to watch (and yes, figure skating IS a sport in every definition of the word, despite what some may think).

It is beautiful to watch, and there's nothing like the tension as the skater readies for their jump.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

I was a gymnast and then gymnastics coach and I can identify details of gymnastics skills that go right by the average viewer. So I know that I'm not fully appreciating the figure skating; that fault is in me. At the same time, there is definitely a limit to the number of different moves that can be performed on skates (there's a lot more variety in gymnastics). And I'm not particularly interested in costumes, music, and dancing, so those don't draw me either.
Gymnastics is my sport fave for the Summer Games. I have taped coverage from every Games going back to 2000, and every Nationals and Olympic Trials going back to 1996.

I prefer the older style of gymnastics, before the end of the Perfect 10 system. Now IMO the sport has gotten to be too robotic and less artistic than in the past.

I think the revised scoring of both sports has removed a lot of the artistry, by quantifying every single move. I prefer to watch the older uneven bars routines, because there was more to the routine than giant swings and pirouettes on top of the high bar; the lower bar is such an afterthought now. I am not a fan of the contortionist positions on skating spins. There was a reason why Denise Biellmann (1981 World Champion) made a sensation when she pulled her free foot all the way behind her and above her head into a needle scale during a spin, because it had never been done before. Now everyone does it, and it gets old. Give me a classic layback a la Peggy Fleming any day!

Old 02-14-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't find figure skating boring at all.

In fact it is one of my favorite sports to watch (and yes, figure skating IS a sport in every definition of the word, despite what some may think).

It is beautiful to watch, and there's nothing like the tension as the skater readies for their jump.
How much of the pairs final do you think they will show tonight? The delay of alpine skiing is really going to throw off the broadcast schedule.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:01 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,812,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
How much of the pairs final do you think they will show tonight? The delay of alpine skiing is really going to throw off the broadcast schedule.
On NBCSN they are currently showing a lot of it.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
On NBCSN they are currently showing a lot of it.
Well, it's not like the US was going to contend for a medal. Pairs is the weakest discipline in the US at this time, that's why we only qualified one pair for the Olympics this year based on the results of last year's World Championships.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:12 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,581,826 times
I was so happy that Shaun White won the gold. I read that he is not well liked in the snowboarding crowd which surprised me except I am sure there is jealousy there. The article I read said he is a loner and most of the guys hang out and snowboard together.

Chloe Kim and Red Gerard were excellent and both only 17! Wow!

Since the US wasn't in contention I was so pleased to see the German couple win pairs skating. She has been in 5 Olympics and they skated their fannies off! They absolutely deserved gold.

I am really enjoying the Olympics!

Old 02-14-2018, 10:33 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,481,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
every four years, I forget how much of an expert I am at so many obscure sports
It's the same in our house. We don't skate or ski, but we're expert commentators on figure skating and ski jumping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports