Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 03:36 PM

1,374 posts, read 923,022 times

Advertisements

I remember when the top NFL teams were worth $500 - $600 million or so 20-25 years ago, the values have increased dramatically. The rich get richer, and billionaires net worth increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 03:49 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Commanders have arguably the worst ownership in sports and still crack the top 15.

Old 08-12-2022, 04:46 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
"Dear me, what does that peasantly Rust Belt city think it's doing here?"

Old 08-12-2022, 05:07 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Their new arena is the smallest in the NHL - and quite possibly all 4 major pro sports. It seats a whopping 5,000 people.
IMO the Coyotes should be an AHL team to the Golden Knights with such a small seating capacity; at least Vegas is a much more transient and tourist-friendly metro that can draw a lot more visitors attending games. I'd even think an NHL team in Salt Lake would probably draw more than 5K.

Speaking of the NHL, I'm surprised the top spot (The Toronto Maple Leafs) only came in at #61, even though hockey has really grown over the decades, a far cry from the six teams and later not being broadcast stateside on a major network in the 1980s. Even the Raptors are more valuable than the Leafs, and this is despite NHL ticket prices that are very comparable with the NBA and had a headstart on on-rink advertising. MLS still doesn't have a team in the top 100, which shows how many still don't consider it one of the major North American sports.

And despite their recent troubles as of 2021, the Orioles are still a respectable for a small market #18 of #30 among all MLB clubs, in fact better than the more popular Ravens at #21 of #32.

Old 08-12-2022, 05:17 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
As someone living in the NYC area (not from here and without rooting interest), I'm fascinated that the Knicks are more valuable than the Giants. I get that football allegiances get divided with the two teams, but still.... can't recall the last time I ever had a conversation with anyone about the Knicks. The Giants have been nearly as bad, but I see Giants gear all over the place and bars have lines out the door on football Sundays (75% Giants, at least here in Hoboken).

Whenever I look at these rankings, I wonder if owning your own stadium/arena is a factor. Real estate values could be a big factor. I'm not sure though.

Old 08-12-2022, 05:54 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
I think the Coyotes thing is a bit misleading. They are in-between stadiums as a new one is getting built, but they usually average between 12-15,000/game. Still one of the lowest in the league, but not sub-10,000 like Ottawa and Buffalo this past season.

Old 08-12-2022, 06:02 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Commanders have arguably the worst ownership in sports and still crack the top 15.
Amazing isn't it? The worst owner in the league, worst performance under this fat boy, wrecks the culture and team and its still a money making machine. What a dog of a franchise. I wouldn't spend a single dime on this mess. Why the league has not forced this crook to sell the team is absolutely crazy. The league can go to hell.

Old 08-12-2022, 06:44 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Diehard redskins fans who can't give up on the team no matter the name, record.

Old 08-12-2022, 06:48 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Detroit Lions have the worst ownership in sports hands down. The Detroit market still has more than enough upper middle class disposable income to compete with its peers, not to mention a giant corporate presence. There is no excuse for that team to be worth less than the Jacksonville Jaguars, a team that has a primary and secondary market presence 1/5th the size of Detroit. That doesn’t even include the fact that the Jags have 60+ years less history behind them as a brand. The Ford family needs to sell that team out of mercy to the state of Michigan.

Old 08-12-2022, 07:14 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Shame is, they only a decade or so ago were #2 to Dallas in the NFL in value seeing them outside the top 5 to me bites.

New stadium will probably bump them up a tad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Diehard redskins fans who can't give up on the team no matter the name, record.
Redskins/Commanders are a blue blooded franchise of the NFL along with the Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, NY Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers, there will always be a contingent who are fans of the team regardless of one owner.

Last edited by the resident09; 08-12-2022 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports