Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:56 AM

164 posts, read 984,891 times

Advertisements

I am an avid bass fisherman and Im looking for anyone that has fished either Table Rock Lake or The lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. Any preferences, opinions, advice. Which lake is better at producing large bass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 12:59 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,364 times
Been years since i've been to both but table rock hands down would be my choice, have you looked at bull shoals.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:50 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOnRainjer View Post
I am an avid bass fisherman and Im looking for anyone that has fished either Table Rock Lake or The lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. Any preferences, opinions, advice. Which lake is better at producing large bass?
So wait -- is your post about whether anyone has fished in Table Rock Lake or Lake of the Ozarks? Or is your post about whether or not bass fishing is a sport? Because I can answer the latter:

Anything a fat lazy slob can do competently is not a sport. It may be a leisure activity, and a competitive and/or lucrative one at that. But it's not a sport.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:50 AM

164 posts, read 984,891 times
So your saying there are no skills involved in this activity. Its random casting to open water spots in hope of catching a random fish swimming by that could win you a million bucks in a tournament.

That thought process would mean that you believe NASCAR isnt a sport cause they only drive cars in an oval or that Golfing isnt a sport cause they just hit a ball to random spots (ie: John Daly), deer hunting must be out also since you sit and wait in the woods and hope for a deer to walk by.

"Sport" in your mind means a lean fit non areobically challenged person is needed.

So define what a sport is? Does it require a team approach? Is baseball a sport? It require a team but yet involves mostly individual performance. That means softball is out too, cause fat guys play that.

I guess this post is a 2 sided affair. First is the title asking if bass fishng is really a sport to get your attention. 2nd part is about fishing at either lake and any experience anyone has on that subject. I want to know which is the better lake for fishing "LEISURELY" i guess.

No harm meant by comments, its all about opinions and perception. But, what intricate skills are needed to label something a sport. How about competitive eating, now there is a sport for you.

Thanks for your input on my question.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:57 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
No, but salmon fishing is.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:26 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Actaully bass fishing is a sport and takes alot of skill to be really sucessful;otherwise millons would be rich as its so popular.Bass fishing maybe the most popular fishing there is really but it also cost a alot if your really into it has most sports.It and hunting pays for most of the national parks thru taxes that are imposssed at the manufacturing level. Game and fish would be a real problems if not for the hunters and fisheramn. I do netiher now but have done both in the past.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOnRainjer View Post
So your saying there are no skills involved in this activity . . .
Re-read my post. I said no such thing.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:22 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
I think it is a sport but I wouldn't necessarily call bass fishermen athletes.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:42 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,364 times
It would be covered under sports but not necessarily an athletic sport, different sports different classifications so to say.

I'm not going to waste my time getting into rediculas statements but for clarity these would be considered sports, debate it, fight about it i don't give a damn.

List of sports - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,239,776 times
I just pulled a "hammy" flippin that ***! Guess it's the DL for me.

Humm... Maybe it is a sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports