Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 04:06 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
The Masters this year...I can't remember being as pumped for it. So many great players playing great right now...and then there's Tiger.

Rory
Bubba
DJ
FIGJAM III (Justin Thomas lol)
Lefty
Rahm
Garcia
Stenson

It just seems to go on and on as to who is playing good and who are really great golfers right now....and then there's Tiger.

It's just going to be good. You know it is.

Lived in Augusta, GA a couple of times and I've gone to several Masters as well as practice rounds (90s, 2000s) and it's my fav tournament in golf - also looking forward to it. (Saw TW hit that snap hook on his first round, first Masters shot off first tee as a pro). I enjoy seeing the course on TV - especially the first nine. Years ago the TV broadcasts rarely showed the "front nine".....CBS would go on air when the leaders where making the turn or just finishing the 9th hole. That was many years ago ----
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 04:59 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
The Masters this year...I can't remember being as pumped for it. So many great players playing great right now...and then there's Tiger.

Rory
Bubba
DJ
FIGJAM III (Justin Thomas lol)
Lefty
Rahm
Garcia
Stenson

It just seems to go on and on as to who is playing good and who are really great golfers right now....and then there's Tiger.

It's just going to be good. You know it is.
Who's II?

Old 03-30-2018, 08:01 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Can someone explain the fig-jam reference?

Old 03-30-2018, 09:52 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Who's II?
Patrick "Top 5" Reed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Can someone explain the fig-jam reference?
Are you asking what it stands for, or who some of us in the golf community are referring to with that reference?

IM
GOOD
JUST
ASK
ME

You can figure out what the 'F' stands for. lol

A lot of people refer to Lefty Mickelson as "FIGJAM" though I never was one of those people - I think it's more fitting a man like Reed...or Thomas.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:14 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,987 times
Phil has a certain level of humility and is good, those other guys aren't either one.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Phil has a certain level of humility and is good, those other guys aren't either one.
There is word it's just all an act. That he makes sure his wife and kids are at greenside at all of his wins to hug and kiss...that he's, in private or when we can't see him, kind of a pr---.

Hence what Steve Williams said about him some years back.

Who knows. It's like anyone/anything in life - no one can know what a person is really like unless you're in their immediate family/life.

The way Phil treated Tom Watson a couple Ryder Cups back showed me some things about Lefty I didn't like.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:26 AM

Steve Williams:

Quote:
Of Phil Mickelson, who Williams says he admires as a player: “My problem is that he thinks he knows everything. He lords over people – he once tried to tell me the rules of cricket for crying out loud!”

You can read into that how you want. But again, the way he treated Tom Watson, to me, was quite disappointing, and then taken with some of the other stuff floating about him, I just have my doubts about how great a person he is.

Though his dropping $1,000 tips at In-And-Out Burger and stuff like that does make him look better in my book.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:13 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Steve Williams:

You can read into that how you want. But again, the way he treated Tom Watson, to me, was quite disappointing, and then taken with some of the other stuff floating about him, I just have my doubts about how great a person he is.

Though his dropping $1,000 tips at In-And-Out Burger and stuff like that does make him look better in my book.
All in all - we all have opinions and perspectives. Just look around our own friends. There are people that we like that other's can't stand, and vice versa. Especially the A type personalities. You hear about how much of an a-hole Bubba Watson is (he even demonstrated a few times with his outbursts). Then you read about how much money/support he's given to his home town of Bagdad, FL.... I think everyone has their own personalities, and personalities don't always match one another.

There are folks who love Phil and hate Tiger based on how they treat fans. And you always hear people give their opinions of a tour pro after one encounter with them. No real right or wrong here - but some of us can be a bit more judgmental than others.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:17 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Phil has a good PR Dept

Old 03-31-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
All in all - we all have opinions and perspectives. Just look around our own friends. There are people that we like that other's can't stand, and vice versa. Especially the A type personalities. You hear about how much of an a-hole Bubba Watson is (he even demonstrated a few times with his outbursts). Then you read about how much money/support he's given to his home town of Bagdad, FL.... I think everyone has their own personalities, and personalities don't always match one another.

There are folks who love Phil and hate Tiger based on how they treat fans. And you always hear people give their opinions of a tour pro after one encounter with them. No real right or wrong here - but some of us can be a bit more judgmental than others.
I can agree with just about all of what you said here.

And to me (though some tend to look down on me or view me shallow for this) a famous celebrity/athlete who actually will sign autographs is a sign of decency. I will give Phil that. And the $1K tips he (allegedly) leaves at drive-thru's is nice.

In general I tended to always give Phil the benefit of the doubt...until the Tom Watson Ryder Cup incident(s). As I said I think I lost some respect for him after that.

But I am not gonna lie...I do root him on to play well when I see him on a course. I want him to win a US Open as much as anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports