Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:01 PM

18 posts, read 53,244 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are fed up with the liberal agenda in California! As a result, we are leaving and relocating to Missouri to be closer to our son (Tennessee) and future grandchildren. My husband is a musician (pianist, composer, and arranger for Carol Channing) and I am a high school English and Drama teacher.

I love smaller schools since I am a country girl from a small town in the Central Valley of California. I have been looking at relocating to Reeds Spring or Forsyth because of the small town atmosphere. My husband, naturally, wants to be closer to Branson.

I would love to hear from folks in those areas who might be able to tell me good schools to apply to for a teaching job. Also, what areas are good to live in around Branson? We are coming from a town of 220,000+ with a high crime rate and I want a little acreage outside of a busy area.

Thanks!
RHW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 06:36 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,661,041 times
Your looking for Modesto 30 years ago.....

Old 12-08-2010, 06:42 PM

I live in Modesto, and yes, I am looking for Modesto 30 years ago. My brother is a homicide detective here and knows that there is no hope for this town. Just too tired of all the crap here in the Central Valley. I want a small rural conservative town!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 PM

51 posts, read 225,630 times
Default Congratulations! California Expatriate

We moved to SW MO about six months ago from CA, and are beginning to really like the area. In general, the people are wonderful! What you see is what you get. Have only seen two "liberal" bumper stickers in six months. Amazing!

There are plenty of opportunities to buy a nice home with land. If you want to be close to Branson, you ought to consider Branson (the city,) Branson West, Hollister, Forsyth, Reeds Spring, or Kimberling City. For more info. and opinion from SoCAL to SW MO newbie, please feel free to direct mail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LdyJzz64 View Post
My husband and I are fed up with the liberal agenda in California! As a result, we are leaving and relocating to Missouri to be closer to our son (Tennessee) and future grandchildren. My husband is a musician (pianist, composer, and arranger for Carol Channing) and I am a high school English and Drama teacher.

I love smaller schools since I am a country girl from a small town in the Central Valley of California. I have been looking at relocating to Reeds Spring or Forsyth because of the small town atmosphere. My husband, naturally, wants to be closer to Branson.

I would love to hear from folks in those areas who might be able to tell me good schools to apply to for a teaching job. Also, what areas are good to live in around Branson? We are coming from a town of 220,000+ with a high crime rate and I want a little acreage outside of a busy area.

Thanks!
RHW

Old 12-09-2010, 11:47 PM

62 posts, read 130,203 times
Quote:

Thanks!
RHW
Reeds Spring would support Californian artists, more so than Forsyth . JC Bullock a former Alderman and musician would be ideal to get you introduced to the area. Jeanette Bair from San Diego has an art gallery on the main street

Old 12-10-2010, 04:17 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,564,311 times
Quote:

Thanks!
RHW
Why is it that when Californians always target Missouri when they wake up and discover they don't like the liberal utopia they helped create?

Now we've got a growing California arts colony down in southwest Missouri, just full of musicians, artists, drama teachers and such--with more on the way. Well, at least they're transforming society in Taney County and leaving us rednecks alone out here.

But, seriously, why not move on east to Tennessee where your boy is instead of Missouri where you know nobody and have never visited?

Old 12-10-2010, 12:52 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,392,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Why is it that when Californians always target Missouri when they wake up and discover they don't like the liberal utopia they helped create?

Now we've got a growing California arts colony down in southwest Missouri, just full of musicians, artists, drama teachers and such--with more on the way. Well, at least they're transforming society in Taney County and leaving us rednecks alone out here.

But, seriously, why not move on east to Tennessee where your boy is instead of Missouri where you know nobody and have never visited?
OB, I saw this movie clip and immediately thought of you and the forum here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC1ja7wEdEY

Old 12-10-2010, 01:40 PM

Actually, Ozarkboy I have many friends in Missouri and my husband's father is a native. I understand and sympathize with your not wanting your area to grow--we have that same problem in the Central Valley of California. However, please do not stereotype musicians and artists, or people from California. Not everyone is a liberal, in need of therapy, or wanting to change your way of living. I grew up on a farm. My family were migrant farm workers and we supported ourselves and bought our own land--we are Okies, by the way, not Latinos. My son is a minister in Alabama/Tennessee and may end up in Missouri. Nevertheless, I still wonder why you are so hostile with folks who may want to move to the great state of Missouri. As a native born citizen of the United States, I believe I have the right to live any where I choose in this country--be it California, Missouri, or any state.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:50 AM

165 posts, read 589,036 times
Good for you LDYJZZ64!!!!! For the most part we are all pretty easy to get along with. Welcome to Missouri. It's 16 degrees today with a wind chill of 0 with a skiff of snow on the ground. Normally stays cold thru March and sometimes April is wonderful and sometimes brutal. The summers are hot and muggy, but I love them. Coming from California just keep the weather in mind. Those 70 degree beautiful days we only see in the spring and fall. Makes for a long, cold, depressing winter. Not crime free either. We just had a police shoot out here in my town of 5000 and drugs are plentiful. One thing about living in a small town is a lot of people are related and a lot of crime goes unreported if you know what I mean. I think that's everywhere though, not just here.
Branson is beautiful and if hubby is a musician well, Bransons a no brainer for you. Taxes and property is cheap so you should get a great deal and you won't have a problem finding land.
Best of luck to you. I hope everything works out the way you want it too.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:08 AM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 872,366 times
St. Louis' south county sounds perfect for you. It's conservative to the point that my Blaxican self has gotten pulled over nearly every time I'm down there. All of the blacks are very far away in the city, the gays haven't spread their gay agenda there, non god fearing non christians are scarce, and you dont have to worry about illegals. Mexicans are only 2% of the population in the entire area. I haven't seen any strange foreign types down there and I tend to see adverts and support for only the GOP in the area.

This about sums it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9T0FI2axbU

Happy Hunting!

Last edited by desperad0stl; 12-12-2010 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area