Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 04:55 PM

26 posts, read 82,863 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I planned on moving to Branson and went there a couple weeks ago to look around. It's very beautiful and I really like the area, and everyone was very nice and talked about how great the schools were. Here's my problems, It really is very tourist based. Although, my son and I really liked it. I'm sure I didn't see everything and I did have a hard time getting away from the strip, because thats where our hotel was by. I'm moving from Iowa so I'm used to smaller towns, but I also lived in Phoenix for years so I can live to city life as well. My main concern is a good high school for my son, he will be in 10th grade this year. Also, I would like to live somewhere that's not so hard to meet new people. I'm looking forward to meeting new friends when we get to our new home, and being a part of our new communuty. If we could have exactly what we wanted it would be a waterfront condo or apt. If I don't live in Branson or Springfield I want to be able to drive there within 30 min. or so for shopping, entertainment, ect. I have heard a lot of people talk about how nice Ozark and Nixa are, and I've looked online at many of the condo's and apt. available as well as craigs list. (they vary in price so much for such a small area) I can afford about $500-$600 if I have to pay all the utilities or about $750 if the utilities are included. My question is would you recommend Ozark or Nixa and are there any apt. communities or condo communities to stay away from? I want a nice, clean, friendly, safe, community for my son and me. I prefer not to be in one where people let there kids run free and do whatever they want with out supervision. One more questions, do you think it's best to just live in Branson or Springfield? (I hope you know what I mean) My childrens dad pasted away a few years ago, and I'm unable to work right now. I hurt my back and had back surgery. During the surgery, the surgeon cut one of my nerves by mistake. So, until I can work again ( god willing) I don't need to worry about communting to work. Sorry this is so long!! Thank you for any help and suggestions you can give. I would like to move in about 2 weeks.
Thanks,
Tammy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 01:31 AM

223 posts, read 334,275 times
I can't give advice on specific apartments or condos or high schools, but if I were you, this is what I would consider - Size. Springfield is a city. So if you want city living, that's the place to be. Branson is tourist-based and it gets crowded and lots of traffic. If you can deal with all that, you'll be fine. It is really pretty the way it is situated. I personally really like Ozark. I think it's a beautiful little town. I don't know much about Nixa. I know based upon myself personally out of the options you've given, I'd take Ozark. You got lots of small town and country options within 30 minutes of either Branson or Springfield. There's Shell Knob and that area. There's Hollister. I'd just look at the rankings of the high schools and also availability of rentals.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:48 PM

26 posts, read 82,863 times
Thank you, I also like Ozark! They're are so many nice area's around Branson.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:55 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Don't overlook Hollister. Close to Branson and Table Rock Lake, not as touristy as Branson.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:03 PM

Yeah, I like Hollister. I'm considering it for myself. Anything you feel like sharing about it, Curmudgeon? I'd be interested in hearing.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks Crescent Mural View Post
Yeah, I like Hollister. I'm considering it for myself. Anything you feel like sharing about it, Curmudgeon? I'd be interested in hearing.
It's relatively small - under 4K - and quiet. Has two groceries, one with a fabulous meat counter (think old-fashioned butcher market), a Lowe's, some restaurants and fast food and a variety of housing extending down to the bank of Table Rock Lake. Branson is minutes away as is the regional hospital, outlet shopping, entertainment, more restaurants, big box stores, and all the amenities. Less than an hour to Springfield. Closer to rural Ozarks. Something for everyone who doesn't need a metropolis breathing down their necks. Once you learn the "local's routes," even Branson is easy to navigate in-season and locals get discounts almost everywhere.

We're further out (18 miles) and down on the lake so we're really rural and love it with all the wildlife, clean air, star lit skies, etc. Yet we're within less than a half hour of everything we need.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:35 PM

Thanks, Curmudgeon. It wouldn't let me give you any more rep. I guess I've given you too much already.

Hollister keeps coming up in my RE searches and I like what I see.

I'm coming from south-central Missouri which is very rural and the towns very small, so I like its size.

I decided to come on over to SWMO because I love Eureka Springs, AR and would like to be closer to it. Plus, I think being near Springfield, though not much of a city person, might not be half bad for those times when I feel like it. Plus, I'd really like to check out Branson more.

Now you're in Stone County and that's interesting because when I first started my search, I started out in the Shell Knob area, but not a whole lot was coming up.

Then Rockaway Beach came up on my radar and I like the pictures of it, but I'm not totally feeling it the same way I am Hollister.

If you care to comment on Rockaway Beach, I'd like to hear what you have to say about it too.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:04 PM

Eureka Springs was on our radar several years ago. My wife had lived there and in Huntsville back in the 70s and loved the Ozarks. However, recent changes to AR's tax structure made it less desireable than MO for us and ES has become far more "progressive" than I wanted so we ended up 35 miles north in SWMO.

In its day, Rockaway Beach was quite the rsort along the White River and highly visited and sought after. Since the building of Table Rock Dam it is now a cold water location (great trout fishing) and rather depressed from our perspective.

Shell Knob has a cute name but as far as I'm concerned, there's no there, there. That's not unlike Galena and Reeds Spring which are typical Ozark villages, both of which have seen better days. You might want to look at Kimberling City which is also handy to West Branson.

Our mailing address is Blue Eye, MO - a small town split between MO (pop. 129) and AR (pop. 36) with no there, there either but it has our post office. The closest anything to us is a convenience store/gas station and cafe seven miles away. The peace, quiet and tranquility suit and soothe us and going an additional 11 miles for shopping is no hardship. Best of all, we have the lake year-round and tons of wildlife, a small but close community and even a helipad for emergencies.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:20 PM

Oh wow, I've looked into Blue Eye. How interesting. Funny, I was just talking to someone who had wanted a roommate in Blue Eye, but I decided I'd be better off living alone til I find the place I want to buy.

Interesting about Shell Knob. People seem to make a lot more of it.

Now I know I could Google this, but since we're talking, what is the size of Kimberling City? The name puts me off because I automatically think City and that's a no-no, but I bet it's not. And, you know, not one piece of property in my price range has come up in Kimberling City. Is it pricey?

The reason I don't want to live in Eureka Springs is because, like you said, it's pretty progressive and that's fine, but that's not me, so I wouldn't fit in with all that.

Plus, I'm not an artist and it's very much an artist's community too.

The other thing that bothers me about it for living is the community itself and personal politics. It strikes me as the type of town where everyone would be in your business and I like privacy.

That's what I'm picking up from Hollister is that there is respect for privacy there. That's just what I'm sensing.

The other thing about ES is that it's in Arkansas and I like Arkansas, but to tell you the truth, Arkansas scares me a little bit. Maybe because it's so different, I don't know, but I don't like being scared where I live.

But I do like ES so much that I like to visit it and walk around those fantastic hilly streets taking in all the architecture, grand hotels and shops. I like the ES&NA too.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:33 PM

LOL! Kimberling City has a population of about 2,400 so mit's hardly a city, per se. It's right on the lake and revolves around it with hills and dales enough to satisfy almost anyone.

ES is unique and a great place to visit. Be sure to go to the Grand Dame of the Ozarks, the Crescent Hotel. My wife worked on it's refurbishing back in the 70s and can still see her handiwork there on the grand staircase. It has a rather unique history as well as some interesting guests of the less than fleshly kind.

You really have to visit this area to appreciate not just its beauty but its character as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area