Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 06:09 PM

11 posts, read 29,517 times

Advertisements

Oh I pray our first experience isn't an ice storm...that would be a test for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwheata View Post
I've been to Mo a lot. My folks and a lot of my family moved out there over ten years ago. I use to teach, and when I was off track I'd take the kids and spend a month at a time out there with my family. I definatly know the area and what I'm getting into. What I worry about having the hardest time adjusting to is the weather. My kids and husband are born and raised in So Ca and are use to weather that is about 75 degress all year round. I'm from Central Ca and we do have colder weather in the winter and hotter in the summer. I do know what it is like to have to put a coat on in the winter! There are so many reasons I no longer want to live in CA...most of the reasons are liberal! The weather is going to be the hardest thing for me to say good bye to!
It will be difficult getting used to the weather but it can be done. Get a coat, gloves and a nice toasty pair of boots and you'll survive. Have good ac in the summer...go to the lake and you'll be ok. The humidity was and still is the hardest thing for me. This past summer was record breaking hot. I had to mow the yard in sections (lotsa breaks) LOL!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:17 AM

45 posts, read 116,508 times
Default Visit the area first

I thought that moving to Missouri from the west coast would be an answer to several problems, less expensive housing, old-fashioned charm, etc., but it really has its own set of problems. I thought Springfield would be a kind of quaint, laid-back sort of town. When I drove through briefly, saw the downtown area and the traffic, it feels very much like any other big city to me and not nearly charming as I thought. I did notice though that it was very clean.

I live in Branson West, Missouri, having traveled here in September. I experienced my first thunderstorm after I had been here about a couple of weeks. I cannot remember being in just a violent thunderstorm and from what I heard from the locals, that was really nothing. No one really mentions the thunderstorms when talking about the weather here, but I must tell you, it really frightened me.

The area I am in was quite beautiful with the trees and Ozark scenery, but now it is winter and the trees are bare and the landscape looks quite different with the leaves off the trees. I would encourage anyone moving here to come and rent for a few months before making up your mind.

It is so different than the west coast culture and weather. The tornado situation is something to think about seriously. I was told in stone county (Branson West) by an official that everyone here needs to just take care of themselves and as far as I know, there is no public shelter to go to. What if you do not have a basement? What if you do not have a safe room? The weather right now is very mild for winter and I so appreciate it. I knew all about the tornado situation when I came here, but until I was here and in that first thunderstorm, I did not take it that seriously.

I researched for over two years before deciding to move here, but I should have visited a long time ago, at least for a few months, so I could see for myself what I was getting myself into. I will say that the people here are very friendly and courteous. If you have savings and are coming here more prepared than I was, you may find it a refreshing change. I am not an avid shopper, but you can find plenty of that in Branson, Missouri, but the traffic there is so congested, it makes shopping very annoying.

Please take anyone's advice who suggests that you spend some time here first before you move here. The Ozarks are beautiful in the summer and fall though and there are some lovely areas. If there's one thing I have learned by this whole experience is that whatever your problems are on the west coast, they can follow you here too. Just be prepared to spend more money than you thought and that housing is not near as inexpensive as you may think, but obviously less than the west coast. If you do move here, I really hope your experience is a good one.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:08 PM

51 posts, read 225,514 times
Default Perspective ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresnoplacelikehome View Post
I thought that moving to Missouri from the west coast would be an answer to several problems, less expensive housing, old-fashioned charm, etc., but it really has its own set of problems. I thought Springfield would be a kind of quaint, laid-back sort of town. When I drove through briefly, saw the downtown area and the traffic, it feels very much like any other big city to me and not nearly charming as I thought. I did notice though that it was very clean.

I live in Branson West, Missouri, having traveled here in September. I experienced my first thunderstorm after I had been here about a couple of weeks. I cannot remember being in just a violent thunderstorm and from what I heard from the locals, that was really nothing. No one really mentions the thunderstorms when talking about the weather here, but I must tell you, it really frightened me.

The area I am in was quite beautiful with the trees and Ozark scenery, but now it is winter and the trees are bare and the landscape looks quite different with the leaves off the trees. I would encourage anyone moving here to come and rent for a few months before making up your mind.

It is so different than the west coast culture and weather. The tornado situation is something to think about seriously. I was told in stone county (Branson West) by an official that everyone here needs to just take care of themselves and as far as I know, there is no public shelter to go to. What if you do not have a basement? What if you do not have a safe room? The weather right now is very mild for winter and I so appreciate it. I knew all about the tornado situation when I came here, but until I was here and in that first thunderstorm, I did not take it that seriously.

I researched for over two years before deciding to move here, but I should have visited a long time ago, at least for a few months, so I could see for myself what I was getting myself into. I will say that the people here are very friendly and courteous. If you have savings and are coming here more prepared than I was, you may find it a refreshing change. I am not an avid shopper, but you can find plenty of that in Branson, Missouri, but the traffic there is so congested, it makes shopping very annoying.

Please take anyone's advice who suggests that you spend some time here first before you move here. The Ozarks are beautiful in the summer and fall though and there are some lovely areas. If there's one thing I have learned by this whole experience is that whatever your problems are on the west coast, they can follow you here too. Just be prepared to spend more money than you thought and that housing is not near as inexpensive as you may think, but obviously less than the west coast. If you do move here, I really hope your experience is a good one.
Read your post. Interesting ... we too are from warm SoCAL and have lived here since summer, 2010. Having spent over Quarter Century in "heavenly" weather, we were devastated by last winter, but ultimately developed an affinity for the area and people that has transcended our revulsion for the cold winter weather. Thunderstorms in SW MO are spectacular and we love that part of the SW MO tapestry. We only wish that the thunderstorms were more frequent.

Quite frankly, we do not miss California high taxes, expensive petrol, housing, "real" traffic, hedonistic lifestyle, press one for English, and the $30 Billion deficit, or political climate, e.g, "clueless" Sanchez Sisters, Barbara Boxer, Dianne Feinstein, Jerry Brown, L.A. Mayor Antonio Veragosa et. al inept and corrupt leftist career politicians. Also, it's rather refreshing to live in an area where there are very few illegal aliens (undocumented immigrants) vs. California. What a concept! SW MO, while imperfect, has its advantages.

Branson West is a particularily lovely area, just takes some careful attention driving the twisty roads ... After a couple few winters, most SoCAL transplants acclimate ... Congratulation on expatriating from SoCAL. There are many of us who have opted out with no regrets. SW MO Ozarks, its cultural values, and citizens are great. Most people learn to love it, and if not the Golden State of California welcomes/taxes their return, and is happy to refund their misery ... lol.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:25 PM

12 posts, read 46,138 times
I live over in ks close to joplin, I like springfield, but the traffic does suck, but when you learn different roads its a little better, Most jobs pay like crap there though. joplin is ok also, I love it over here but no jobs, it is very quiet though and i like that.
I would probably go back to olathe ks if i was going to move as long as you live close to your work, but the traffic sucks there to in rush hour lol.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,033 times
i would think going from southern cali to springfield mo would be major culture shock. i've heard springfield described as the biggest city with the small town feel and that's pretty accurate. the drivers are horrible, but people are very friendly, very chatty. we have an excellent library system, lots of restaurants. welcome to springfield!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:09 PM

4 posts, read 8,795 times
I have friends that moved here from Callie and moved back. They said Springfield was too boring. Heck, I have to agree with them there.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 8,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwheata View Post
Oh I pray our first experience isn't an ice storm...that would be a test for sure!
I moved here in 1987, the following week we had an ice storm that shut down the entire area for almost 3 weeks. Make sure you have a place with gas heat and hot water or gas fireplace. Wood fireplace works also. Hurricane lamps are needed as well as candles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area