Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 06:50 PM

226 posts, read 999,536 times

Advertisements

Everything I read about SE MO is great. So what's the bad stuff?? It can't all be good??? or can it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 11:49 AM

I can't believe that springfield/Ozark area doesn't have anything negative about it?? I'm from Arizona and I can name SEVERAL reasons I wouldn't recommend someone to move here.
Auto Thefts - 54,000 last year in phoenix area alone
Crime - 260 murders in phoenix area
Illegals - 3,000 crossing into phoenix every day
250,000 gets you a shack to live in
3.5 million people in phoenix
summer temps - Like living in HELL

So what's the story on MO. If theirs nothing bad, everyone will want to move there?? Hope not before I get there.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:40 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,566 times
OK, some bad. Today for example is a tornado watch and tornado warnings (meaning actual tornadoes have either been spotted or are indicated by dopplar radar) are occuring as I write this in Dallas and Laclede countries to the northeast of Greene County where Springfield is. We're told to expect possible long-track tornadoes today and violent winds up to 80mph east of highway 65, up to 60mph west of 65. It's been fall-like the last week with cool to brisk weather, trees are already changing over, and today is muggy and warm. Violent weather is a downer

Old 09-22-2006, 01:18 PM

Thanks for being honest. I lived in Omaha, Nebraska for 21 years. I know about tornado's. I was young when I lived in Omaha, but don't remember them bothering me. Now that I'm older, it might bother me?? I miss the changing of the trees and all the green, green, grass. Being from AZ, we don't see the big tall trees, green grass (unless on a golf course). Miss that..... It's still in the low 90's here.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:20 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
OK, some bad. Today for example is a tornado watch and tornado warnings (meaning actual tornadoes have either been spotted or are indicated by dopplar radar) are occuring as I write this in Dallas and Laclede countries to the northeast of Greene County where Springfield is. We're told to expect possible long-track tornadoes today and violent winds up to 80mph east of highway 65, up to 60mph west of 65. It's been fall-like the last week with cool to brisk weather, trees are already changing over, and today is muggy and warm. Violent weather is a downer
How often does this occur there?

Old 09-22-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
How often does this occur there?
Very rarely in September TornadoAlley. I've been watching the Weather Channel and they say it's nearly unprecedented to have such a wide area affected with such dangerous conditions this late in the year. It's more typical of April/May. It reminds me of what happened in March this year, twice actually, the 11th/12th, and then again the end of March, balmy, 80's temperature, humid as heck, and growling skies. And it had been frozen solid at 15-18F just weeks before in February with snow. So far today Springfield has been spared. It's actually nicer where I live today than yesterday with the overcast and super gusty winds. Today I expected the weather to get bad, but it's been tornadoes to the north, south, and east of us. Here it's been just fine, not even any lightning or rain! I've noticed over time that often the worst weather skips Springfield and descends a bit more to the east of Springfield. I have no idea why that is, maybe something to do with the confluence of the systems swirling eastward off the plains and the topography of the Ozark plateau...haven't a clue really. I'm watching news footage taken from the tower of KY3 News in Springfield this evening pointing south and the skies are lit up like dozens of flashbulbs are going off simultaneously, just brilliant and spectacular - yet that storm is *** 50 miles *** to the south of us in Arkansas!!!! They are getting the heck beat out of them tonight, but it's so intense that it's lighting the skies here. That's incredible. I'm just glad it's calm here and I hope it stays that way tonight when I go to bed as if the tornado sirens go off in Springfield, I can't hear them where I am. I'll go to bed with my cellphone next to me as if the sirens go off, I have friends in Springfield who'll call me and warn me .

Last edited by MoMark; 09-22-2006 at 09:10 PM..

Old 09-22-2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Very rarely in September TornadoAlley. I've been watching the Weather Channel and they say it's nearly unprecedented to have such a wide area affected with such dangerous conditions this late in the year. It's more typical of April/May. It reminds me of what happened in March this year, twice actually, the 11th/12th, and then again the end of March, balmy, 80's temperature, humid as heck, and growling skies. And it had been frozen solid at 15-18F just weeks before in February with snow. So far today Springfield has been spared. It's actually nicer where I live today than yesterday with the overcast and super gusty winds. Today I expected the weather to get bad, but it's been tornadoes to the north, south, and east of us. Here it's been just fine, not even any lightning or rain! I've noticed over time that often the worst weather skips Springfield and descends a bit more to the east of Springfield. I have no idea why that is, maybe something to do with the confluence of the systems swirling eastward off the plains and the topography of the Ozark plateau...haven't a clue really. I'm watching news footage taken from the tower of KY3 News in Springfield this evening pointing south and the skies are lit up like dozens of flashbulbs are going off simultaneously, just brilliant and spectacular - yet that storm is *** 50 miles *** to the south of us in Arkansas!!!! They are getting the heck beat out of them tonight, but it's so intense that it's lighting the skies here. That's incredible. I'm just glad it's calm here and I hope it stays that way tonight when I go to bed as if the tornado sirens go off in Springfield, I can't hear them where I am. I'll go to bed with my cellphone next to me as if the sirens go off, I have friends in Springfield who'll call me and warn me .
How many tornado's do you get a year? Were looking in Ozark & Nixa.

Thanks for your quick response and helpfulness.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
How many tornado's do you get a year? Were looking in Ozark & Nixa.

Thanks for your quick response and helpfulness.
You're welcome! Honestly, I haven't a clue how many go through or form in a year here. I don't think it's that common. I've learned that when a tornado watch occcurs, usually you just get lightning and thunder, tornadoes are still rare.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:58 AM

Quote:
You're welcome! Honestly, I haven't a clue how many go through or form in a year here. I don't think it's that common. I've learned that when a tornado watch occcurs, usually you just get lightning and thunder, tornadoes are still rare.
...Ok, good. Thanks.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:46 AM

57 posts, read 204,764 times
Smile Lookin' to leave ASAP!

Pam,

I'm also from Phx and hoping to move to MO by Jan or Feb at the latest next year. I hate AZ more with every breath I take. Like you I'm not from here so I've never found the charm or beauty of desert living. I guess if your a local you don't know any better.. BUT I digress.

I've been looking for about 5 years for a place to relocate, once I figured out the AZ will eventually revert back to Mexico and we will all be required to speak spanish to get a job. I've checked out several other states and just fell head over heals with MO. It's everything I ever wanted in a state. I've been to St. Joe's twice already and next month I'm meeting a friend in MO and we are going to do some exploring around the Columbia / Jefferson City area and head to the wine region. If you'd like to see pics of where I've been so far I'd be glad to hook you up with the one's I've posted on Yahoo and I can send you the new one's when I get back. I'm slowly working my way DOWN the state and covering all my bases because when I leave AZ that will be it. I'm never coming back and I want to make sure I find a place I can retire / start a small business in and die in! I've already lived in HELL 40+ years I refuse to be buried here. Good luck in your quest as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area